Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tokina lens

• 23-03-2010 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Are Tokina lens any good or should I avoid them? seem to be pretty cheap but are they junk?
    Looking at a 35-300mm one to fit Canon but can't really find any useful info on them.
    Anyone any experience of this brand?
    Ta for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm using a tokina 12-24 at the moment and in my opinion this lens is better than the sigma equivalent. Very well built and very good optical quality.

Not sure about the Tokina lens you're looking at,

Look for some reviews on

dpreview

or

Fred Miranda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think you'll find all reputable brands have excellent quality lens (usually a bit more pricey) and budget quality lens in their product lines.

Like swingking says, check the reviews is the best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Getting a 35-300mm lens might seem like a good investment. IT covers a lot of range but what apertures will it shoot at at both ends? I just checked and its f/4.5-f/6.7 which is very slow on the long end.

This lens probably wont be great for indoor or low light situations and will more than likely suffer distortion at the longer end (more than likely past 200mm).

Its a jack of all trades and master of none. It will struggle indoors andin low light but outdoors on bright days is when it will work best.

You'd be better having something like an 18-55mm along side a 55-200mm lens or something similar. These two lenses will probably perform better within their focal length ranges than a lens that covers both.

Years ago I had a 28-300mm Sigma lens for Nikon that I thought was going to be perfect as it covered pretty much everything. It wasn't long before I bought a shorter lens (I think it was the Sigma 28-135mm Macro) which was a bit better but still not amazing, especially when put onto a D200.
    Thats my personal experience with the superzoom lenses.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

swingking wrote: »
    I'm using a tokina 12-24 at the moment and in my opinion this lens is better than the sigma equivalent. Very well built and very good optical quality.

Just bought one yesterday and haven't tried it yet. Build quality and feel is excellent. Jury is still out on optical quality!

Damn, wanted to keep my post count at 2,000 for another while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Thanks guys for all your answers,
    It's really at the longer end that I need good optics but I was trying to find a lens that would do short stuff too!
    I already have a Canon 18-55 and a Tamron 55-200 but was looking for something which would negate having to swap lens' in dusty conditions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement