Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commute - Islandbridge/Pheonix Park to Cherrywood

• 23-03-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at moving to an apartment in Islandbridge (Conyngham Roud, just south of Pheonix Park) next month.
    I work in Cherrywood Technology Park.

My work is shift so can finish any time day or night.
    Is this a safe commute in the dark?, and is it maybe too far for someone who isnt a hugely fit guy? I'm thinking it would probably take around an hour to cycle each way?
    Any doing this kind of distance for their commute, or reckon it might not be the safest of areas to be cycling around after dark ?

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Well obvious route for me would be something like this

Down the Quays -East Link -Ballsbridge -Rock road- Blackrock -Deansgrange left at Cornelscourt onto N11- straight out N 11 to destination Cherrywood...... Safe well lit main road the whole way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Bikerbhoy wrote: »

Down the Quays -East Link -Ballsbridge -Rock road- Blackrock -Deansgrange left at Cornelscourt onto N11- straight out N 11 to destination Cherrywood...... Safe well lit main road the whole way.

most of that but i'd be taking the new bridge before the east link and heading up barrow street, left onto lower grand canal road to balls bridge. much nicer than heading over the east link....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm looking at moving to an apartment in Islandbridge (Conyngham Roud, just south of Pheonix Park) next month.
    I work in Cherrywood Technology Park.

My work is shift so can finish any time day or night.
    Is this a safe commute in the dark?, and is it maybe too far for someone who isnt a hugely fit guy? I'm thinking it would probably take around an hour to cycle each way?
    Any doing this kind of distance for their commute, or reckon it might not be the safest of areas to be cycling around after dark ?

Thanks.

My other half -- who has just started cycling -- does Islandbridge to Swords which is around the same distance. She also does night work, all you need is a good set of lights.

She does it on a fairly heavy Giant city bike. So, it's doable. Just pace your self and stop along the way if you need to when starting off. Maybe that's not possible for you?

About an hour sounds right. And as you get fitter that should drop a bit.

The general advice given here to people starting off longer commutes is try doing it just once or twice a week when starting off.

And, of course, the best way of knowing can you do it is try it out first -- just cycle it some day.

most of that but i'd be taking the new bridge before the east link and heading up barrow street, left onto lower grand canal road to balls bridge. much nicer than heading over the east link....
    Bikerbhoy wrote: »

The most direct route seems to be via the city centre (18.4 km) -- there's a few different ways of doing this depending on which streets you prefer to use and return will be slightly different due to one way streets.

Or if you want to avoid the quays and/or the city centre try going via the South Circular Road (19.5 km).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

that city centre route would be pretty bad for cycling during the day/weekend nights, lots of pedestrians/narrow streets, would be alot slower than the eastlink/sameul becket bridge for most of the day. though the south circular road route would certainly be worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

N 11 to St Stephens Green, Kevin St around by St Patricks Cathederal, down onto Quays, quick right and left at Heuston and out Coyningham Road or you could come out Thomas Street and down by Dr Steevens to Heuston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, it looks like it should be good!
    I want to loose some tubbyness before the wedding in September so if its about an hours cycle and safe enough to do all hours its a winner.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just be aware that you might just end up eating more instead of losing weight. It's probably worth considering exactly how you will eat. this post in this thread and probably plenty more might help...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

I've been doing pretty much the same commute in the opp direction, Shankill-Kilmainham for the past 8 years, 4-5 days a week no problem cycling at night but don't work late that often.

Durning the winter I tend to go home down the canal as far as Ranelagh up to Goatstown, then either onto the N11 at Stillorgan or through Sandyford Industrial estate and down Brennanstown road as far as Cabinteely, the N11 rest of the way

During the summer I tend to vary the commute some days via Sundrive Road, Rathfarmham, Lamb Doyles Blackglen Road, Kilternan, Ballycorus Roard a few days a week, which has more hills but less traffic.

Advertisement