Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Entry...GRRR

Options
  • 23-03-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

i bloody HATE the right turnstile on the way into the library!!! Never reads my card!!!! I always go for the left and am in instantly, was forced to goto the right one earlier and was at it for a good 30 seconds...

why cant they fix it? its not just me either, everytime im going in i see someone stuck at that turnstile....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

you have to move your card slowly over the scanner. Never had a problem with it in three years. I do see people banging their card off the scanner and swiping it at light speed and then moaning loudly how its a pile of shite. While im thinking to myself "wow third level education and you cant use a swipe card, must be all that fake tan". Whenever I see anyone stuck its because they do not know how to swipe the card.

I did however stand there for ten minutes swiping away and getting increasingly agitated until I realised that it was a Copy Print card I was scanning. Needless to say egg and my face were in close proximity.

Present company excepted :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I rarely have any problem, but when I do I find lifting the card completely off the scanner and putting it back does the trick. Continuing to slide it around like crazy definitely doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

There was already a topic about this :P but either I've gotten better at it or the turnstiles are fixed but I'm having no problems with my card this semester

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

About a centimetre above the scanner often works best - it's just got to do with the optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

well then the two scanners must be different.. as i have no problems with the left one and i never have... the right one always gives me trouble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

I find if you slap it down and kind of wiggle it left and right it works best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Did anyone bother reading the part where it says place card here and has an arrow pointing to where you place it? Works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Did anyone bother reading the part where it says place card here and has an arrow pointing to where you place it? Works every time.

Pah!

Instructions are for Eskimos and terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Youre supposed to leave it still over the scanner. If you just place it down on the scanner and leave it there it scans straight away. If you move it about it cant read the barcode.

I saw a girl today who was rubbing the card like sandpaper against the scanner, she was there for a good 30 seconds going mad, i said "Dont move it."... Beep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 el cule

It is indeed an acquired skill.. And yeah rubbing the card vigourosly agaist the scanner doesnt help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Barcodes are out dated. The whole system should go RFID, the amount of things you could integrate into one card. Library, Printing and pretty much anything that requires the use of cash.

And no more swiping vigorously to save face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Girl in front of me the other day trying to swipe in with her ATM god bless her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Seen a girl today attempting to swipe her card sideways. It seemed promising that she was attempting new techniques to rectify her apparent difficulty with the dreaded turnstile however she then proceeded to relapse to the usual "widow wash" approach swiping the card in broad circles. Impressed by her initial creativity and determination to overcome the turnstile I thought, sooner or later, she'd crack it and figure out the one proven method of placing the card adjacent to the arrow as indicated. Alas my optimism was misguided as she soon took a turn for the worse, flipped her card and proceeded to swipe it upside down until a kind soul took pity on her and came to her rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 summersunplease

Card Swiping - It's a true art !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vonnie10

In got a new student card last week and since then my new card won't scan on the right turnstile either for some reason !! Don't think its anything to do with my card scanning ability as i never had any trouble with my old card and the left turnstile works fine for me ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

vonnie10 wrote: »
    In got a new student card last week and since then my new card won't scan on the right turnstile either for some reason !! Don't think its anything to do with my card scanning ability as i never had any trouble with my old card and the left turnstile works fine for me ..

Same as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The problem is that the card printing machine doesn't give a crisp black/white as you find on proper barcodes, there's always blurring at the edges of the lines which gives machines a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I find if you slap it down and kind of wiggle it left and right it works best.

Whats that got to do with getting into the Library :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Youre supposed to leave it still over the scanner. If you just place it down on the scanner and leave it there it scans straight away. If you move it about it cant read the barcode.

I saw a girl today who was rubbing the card like sandpaper against the scanner, she was there for a good 30 seconds going mad, i said "Dont move it."... Beep.
    Girl in front of me the other day trying to swipe in with her ATM god bless her.
    Seen a girl today attempting to swipe her card sideways. It seemed promising that she was attempting new techniques to rectify her apparent difficulty with the dreaded turnstile however she then proceeded to relapse to the usual "widow wash" approach swiping the card in broad circles. Impressed by her initial creativity and determination to overcome the turnstile I thought, sooner or later, she'd crack it and figure out the one proven method of placing the card adjacent to the arrow as indicated. Alas my optimism was misguided as she soon took a turn for the worse, flipped her card and proceeded to swipe it upside down until a kind soul took pity on her and came to her rescue.

And these people get degrees?!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 andrewt

Earlier this year, as I was waiting behind people who were struggling as usual to get in, I had the crazy idea of showing them how it's done by just casually throwing the card onto the scanner. At the risk of complete embarassment I stepped up, took aim, and tossed the card onto the scanner, where it rotated until it was perfectly aligned and *beep!*. :cool:

Advertisement