Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking advice about getting into Rock Climbing

Options
  • 23-03-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I'm looking to get into rock climbing.

If somebody can recommend clubs (indoor or outdoor) within commuting distance of Dublin that would be great.

I'm a complete novice though so will need some sort of beginners course - ive been up a few climbing walls but wouldn't know any of the knots or even what equipment id need to buy to get started.

Also if your recommending a club and you know what the membership fee is please also let me know.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I would try one of the University clubs around Dublin. I know we here in UL take in members from the public, im sure it is the same for DCU or wherever.

The reason I say that is that they will have all the equipment available for you to use and they will be running training courses so you can become an independent climber (well so long as you have a belay bitch!). Then you can start looking into investing in your own climbing gear.

Climbing gear is incredibly expensive. To kit yourself out so that you and your buddy can go to a crag and go climbing you are looking at €1000-1500. So by starting off in a club, you would get a great insight into what you need and gain a great knowledge as regards climbing techniques and ropework!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Macsimus

cheers for the advice. I thought €2-300 would cover the cost of the gear - didn't realise it would cost up to €1500.

dcu seems to be only open to students and staff, but apparently Trinity and UCD have limited spaces for non students.

For anyone else interested theres a good article here on getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

There is also one in cathal brugha dublin 1. If your eager for the real thing then try out some boulders in Dalkey Quarry which has a huge range of climbs and most boulders can be traversed so you don't neccessarily need a rope if your careful.

At the end of the day there is much to learn and the best way to start is go to the library and get a book and read it and try get an idea of all the different rope ties and knots.

You will not be allowed to belay anybody in any of the above climbing walls unless your able to complete these rope ties and do so confidently, but they will teach you there and after a while they will allow you to belay.

So get busy , it's no cup of tea. Then of you still like it you can get some climbing shoes and a rope etc.. and head to the quarry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    To kit yourself out so that you and your buddy can go to a crag and go climbing you are looking at €1000-1500.

A load of old pony and trap. Shoes €60, Harness €50, Rope €100, Slings/protectors etc €50, Descender/Belay device €20, a few crabs €30-50.

You could be out top-roping easily on a crag for €300. A rack can be built from there, and to be honest you'd get enough on your waist to lead quite a few routes in Dalkey for a couple of hundred quid (if not a lot less!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

You could do that alright bit ive been to a few places where I had to use nuts as anchors, you cant get a sling in everywhere! And I know what it feels like to be half way up a route on a lead climb and regret just buying size 1-10 nuts instead of going all the way to 14.

Plus I know in Dalkey Quarry friends are ideal and at €70 a pop, you easily run up money!

You also have to think of static lines for anchors, rope protectors, extenders etc...

Im just trying to give the OP an insight into what it is like when you want to get out climbing yourself and climb safely, not a bare minimum of gear.

I still recommend trying a university club. You will be able to go out and second some of their senior members on routes and learn a lot about gear placement. Plus, you will be able to go on subsidised trips, courses and learn all of the basics and advanced stuff, use their equipment, then go out and gradually get your own gear.

If you go on to climbing.ie, you will see people who have their own gear looking for a climbing partner, this is also a great way to learn and build up an interest in climbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Lets be honest here, you don't go straight from nothing to lead climbing.
    Shoes
    Harness
    Belay plate
    2-3 crabs

These are needed first (maybe not even the shoes immediately), then if going to Dalkey add rope, slings, couple more crabs and you can top rope lots of climbs.

OP join UCD as a public member, you can use the wall whenever you want apart from lunch time and tues & thurs 5-7 as reserved for mountaineering club. Its 8 quid a go or 250 for year (sept-sept). Downside is you really need to go with someone as if not in mountaineering club (only UCD students) you're on yer own pretty much.

Trinity also have a wall but not sure about the rules for non student use. There's a gym in Sandymount with a wall also but you need to be a member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 daveoconnell

jaysus, come down to DCU wall between 5 and 8 on a Tuesday or Thursday. Nice bunch of lads and somewhere to get an idea of it

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Jaysus.. some sketchy info there...
    • Purchase the equipment as per Cookie Monster (€180 - €200)
    • Go to climbing.ie and post a thread 'looking for partner' on the general board... explain your experience/lack of..etc.You should get some helpful info back.. it you don't.. don't worry sometimes people looking for partners get several replies and sometimes they get none.. it's down to luck and timing.
    • Join the IMC.. they are holding an intro night for new/prostect members tomorrow night (pm me and I'll send on the details). The fee includes the Mountaineering Ireland membership = 10% off equipment in most stores. The Imc hold intro nights in Dalkey quarry in the summer.
    • If you cannot find a partner.. check out the Mountaineering Ireland site and look for course providers.. book an intro to rock climbing session w/one of them... (again if you want recommendations pm me).
    The basics of climbing are easy to grasp.. the crux of starting is getting a partner.. hit UCD (€8) once p/week and you'll be flying.
    Check out the Challenge Hikers site on FB.. a few of those guys have recently started climbing and are a very friendly bunch.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Getting a partner is really important. It´ll make it much more enjoyable and you´ll get better quicker because you´ll be pushing each other. As others have said, www.climbing.ie is great for this, or your local gym. Oh, and get outdoors as much as possible, so much more enjoyable than indoors although indoors does have it´s place in terms of training and is better than not climbing!

Just wanna give out a big thank you to everyone who replied - all this info is a great help, and its very much appreciated.

I already have a partner lined up - we went up the trinity wall last night - as there was some Great Outdoors event on which meant non gym members were allowed in for free to try out shoes and harneses etc on the wall.

My mate has found some intro course in dalkey quarry in early april, so were gonna book in for that and take it from there - thanks for all the help and if anyone else has more info they think might help, please feel free to share it.

• Advertisement

jaysus, come down to DCU wall between 5 and 8 on a Tuesday or Thursday. Nice bunch of lads and somewhere to get an idea of it

I was told dcu was strictly only students and staff???? If they do let randomers in between those times that would be very handy for mid week climbs as im living only 2 mins from dcu.

Advertisement