Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice car worth the hassle?

• 23-03-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

So you're going to buy a car, doesnt have to be a ferrari, could be a Golf GTI, could be an old M series, could be a brand new family saloon, does the security risk of getting a car come into play for boardsies when buying these days?

One thread that sticks out in recent months was a boardsie who had his Scirocco stolen, usual story broke into the house and took the keys and were out of a the driveway by the time he realised what was going on.

Have heard two similar stories recently, Golf R32, a few years old, same as above, broke in and took they keys, car never to be seen again :(

Another not so obvious one, a new Avensis attempted robbery but thankfully unsuccessful!

No car worth the hassle of putting you or the family in danger but lets face it if the scum really want the car they'll find a way to get it.

Is it a consideration when buying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Nah i dont think it comes into consideration at least not for me id neer let scumbags dictate what i drive or anything else i do for that matter, but i do make sure when i buy a car i put a good alarm on it and also keep the keys in the bedroom close by so if they do break in it wont be easy for them to get there hands on the keys most people you hear this happen to usually keep there keys down stairs and in a very obvious place.

I know its a shame you have to be so cautious in todays society but it has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

My dog will not let anyone into my house, so its not an issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

not an issue for me...
    mainly cause i like older cars....

but if I was to spend a few quid on a decent car...
    i would probably invest in a tracking unit... with remote stop.....

so once you realise the car is stolen, you can kill the power in your motor and see from the gps where the car is...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If thieves want your car badly enough they'll have it regardless of any precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Nah i dont think it comes into consideration at least not for me id neer let scumbags dictate what i drive or anything else i do for that matter, but i do make sure when i buy a car i put a good alarm on it and also keep the keys in the bedroom close by so if they do break in it wont be easy for them to get there hands on the keys most people you hear this happen to usually keep there keys down stairs and in a very obvious place.

I know its a shame you have to be so cautious in todays society but it has to be done.

You have insurance for a reason. If I ever own a car that is attractive to burgulars for whatever reason, i'll be keeping the keys on the hall table. Let them take the car, no point putting any family at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Stee wrote: »
    You have insurance for a reason. If I ever own a car that is attractive to burgulars for whatever reason, i'll be keeping the keys on the hall table. Let them take the car, no point putting any family at risk.

Yeh true but i dont wnt the hassle of going through insurance and also loosing my no claims bonus like a friend of mine has due to some scumbag robbing his car.

Plus most people who break into occupied houses looking for car keys dont want confrontation they avoid it as mush as possible and i also im not letting some waste of space get his hands on my car easily ill make it as hard as possbile on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Stee wrote: »

Invest in a house alarm, that is another deterrent. Put on the perimeter setting, if they attempt to break in the alarm goes off. I don't think you should leave the keys on the hall table in plain view either, that is making it too easy.

I wouldn't let would-be thieves put me off driving a nice car,

A cars potential to be stolen wouldn't even enter my head tbh. The chances are very low anyway in this country and with step back bonus standard on most policys and full no claims protection not costing much more you would be foolish to live your life thinking about "what if's"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There was a thread about this a looooong time ago that went on for ages.
    It was about a guy thinking of buying an old M5.

It was called, "The risks of..." I can't remember the end. I'm sure some one else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I have a monaro, I live with my flatmate (who shares my views on security and has a VX220 turbo), we both have after market imobilisors, we lock both doors that would be needed to come through to get into the flat, both lock our bedroom doors at night, both have items in our rooms that could be used effectively as weapons and have the local guard station number saved in our phones.

I wouldnt leave my keys out as I am not protecting a family, im just protecting my property, I would not make it easy for some scumbag to take something dear to me. I would feel violated if my car was stolen and would prefer the clear and present danger of confrontation over the horrible feeling of being facelessly robbed.

If my situation were to change even if I were to live with differnent people, I probaly wouldnt have this attitude but until then, I wont be the ideal target for some scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

A cars potential to be stolen wouldn't even enter my head tbh. The chances are very low anyway in this country and with step back bonus standard on most policys and full no claims protection not costing much more you would be foolish to live your life thinking about "what if's"
    Say that to the scumbag that stole my car from my garden!

Wanker couldnt even start it, thank god for my immobiliser, ended up rolling it down the road and leggin it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

My dog will not let anyone into my house, so its not an issue for me.

mine neither
    dogs are great

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dogs are easily drugged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

A Scirroco or new Avensis would hardly seem the type of item to put your family in danger. Something like an M5 or even R32 might be a different matter - a highly saleable commodity, even in parts.

It's not just outside your house though - I park in the street sometimes, some borderline dubious areas and my car is no POS. I take precautions and park it in safer places when and where I can, use an older car I have sometimes but you can't let worrying about a precios/expensive/attention-grabbing car inhibit your life. Many, many people do and I think it's ridiculous.

I did have a car broken into and badly damaged a couple of years ago. It's a horrible feeling but **** happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dogs are easily drugged
    How about a Drugs dog? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Dogs are easily drugged

You think so? You could put a piece of steak in front of my staff and if she's pissed off at you she won't even look at it.. She sleeps in my room, along with my keys.

Anyone who wants to make their way up to get they keys.. More power to them, but they'll ****ing regret it I guarantee.
    They'd have to get past mister aggressive terrier in the living room first though..
    And soon enough might be getting a rotweiler too, he'll stay out the back.

Dogs are the best deterrent to a thief, humans are scared and influenced too easily.

A lad living near us had a rottweilwer years ago, meant to be a savage watch dog bla bla bla, one night his house was broken into, they took all the light stuff DVD etc, car keys, car AND the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's not just the car, a lot depends on where you live.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have a monaro, I live with my flatmate (who shares my views on security and has a VX220 turbo), we both have after market imobilisors, we lock both doors that would be needed to come through to get into the flat, both lock our bedroom doors at night, both have items in our rooms that could be used effectively as weapons and have the local guard station number saved in our phones.

It's swings and roundabouts, but if there's a fire in your apartment and you are overcome by fumes, nobody can enter your room to get you out. (But your car keys will be safe...)

Dyflin wrote: »
    It's swings and roundabouts, but if there's a fire in your apartment and you are overcome by fumes, nobody can enter your room to get you out. (But your car keys will be safe...)

In fairness a dwarf could kick in most interior doors especially in modern buildings :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

SV wrote: »
    You think so? You could put a piece of steak in front of my staff and if she's pissed off at you she won't even look at it.. She sleeps in my room, along with my keys.

Anyone who wants to make their way up to get they keys.. More power to them, but they'll ****ing regret it I guarantee.
    They'd have to get past mister aggressive terrier in the living room first though..
    And soon enough might be getting a rotweiler too, he'll stay out the back.

Dogs are the best deterrent to a thief, humans are scared and influenced too easily.

+1

Have a 3yr old male staff and we have one of his puppies who is 5 months old, who seems to be learning by example.

The 3yr old is very protective and has proven this. So if one wants to chance jumping the back wall, or coming in the front of the house I can guarantee that 1) you will leave with a limb missing, 2) He wont eat anything you give him in an attempt to drug him, 3) Gardai will be called promptly.

Couple this with the myth that staffs have lock jaw, and you have a pretty effective deterrent.

Back on topic, I've never really had the money to own something worthwhile, but I do have an aftermarket alarm fitted, the main reason was to interface with the central locking to provide remote central locking. Other than that, I don't keep spare key in the hall, and if it is stolen, I've made sure that my insurer doesn't deduct the NCB for theft claims. Some insurers do provide this free of charge, as once you've taken reasonable precautions its not really your fault. Same as they can't deduct NCB for an accident caused by a third party.

Advertisement