Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 33 - HDR/tonemapped image

• 23-03-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone!

General rules apply:

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date 6pm 7th April.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 24th March onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).

The image must be a HDR image or a tone mapped image. It can be anything you like to shoot once it is HDR/tonemapped.

Get shooting!!!!!

Some examples of mine here....some subtle....some not so subtle:

2216763243_d0b0f88fed_b.jpg

2800019821_fa8a0c0d2b.jpg

2222177014_726b02bea0_b.jpg

2212508455_e550661309.jpg

2222174790_6079e13818.jpg

3370412661_5402a53e45.jpg

3370430023_5d22822718.jpg

2419978166_fd54a25487.jpg

2419981258_fccb0807cd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Boy, Pete you really like to pick the controversial themes, don't cha'?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Yup!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Oh my sweet baby Jeebus.

I was waiting for the assignment to be posted and was telling myself "I will participate, I will participate"... Goddamn you Pete!

This is going to be TRULY outside my comfort zone. Must start reading up, don't even have a clue how to start. Yaiks! :o

I will participate. I must participate. I shall participate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

sNarah wrote: »
    Oh my sweet baby Jeebus.

I was waiting for the assignment to be posted and was telling myself "I will participate, I will participate"... Goddamn you Pete!

This is going to be TRULY outside my comfort zone. Must start reading up, don't even have a clue how to start. Yaiks! :o

I will participate. I must participate. I shall participate.

exactly what i was about to post, a nice fun assignment yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

*goes looking for some sunglasses*
    They may be needed :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Bahahaha, Excellent assignment. I Lol'd for real. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Ah now, i aint got a clue what the HDR even is or how to go about it, its going to put a lot of people off entering (again),

Just a small tip, the last time an "assignment" was posted that was outside of pointing and shooting perimaters (rules of third) the OP posted links on where to figure out what it is we shooting and how to shoot it!!!!

lol, here was me hoping for an assignment that was the total opposite of the last one (although at least this one isnt telling you to press the shutter button with your left big toe, and have someone (of a different ethnic) taking a picture of you pressing the button with your toe, and having someone taking a photo of the person taking your photo to prove they aren't the of the same ethnic background)

And P.S. you usually give 1 or 2 photos as an example and not you whole photo history as a means of promotion!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Another 2 weeks I have to wait :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Ah now, i aint got a clue what the HDR even is or how to go about it, its going to put a lot of people off entering (again),

Just a small tip, the last time an "assignment" was posted that was outside of pointing and shooting perimaters (rules of third) the OP posted links on where to figure out what it is we shooting and how to shoot it!!!!

lol, here was me hoping for an assignment that was the total opposite of the last one (although at least this one isnt telling you to press the shutter button with your left big toe, and have someone (of a different ethnic) taking a picture of you pressing the button with your toe, and having someone taking a photo of the person taking your photo to prove they aren't the of the same ethnic background)

And P.S. you usually give 1 or 2 photos as an example and not you whole photo history as a means of promotion!!!!

He's just giving a good and broad range of examples on what you can take as HDR. Some are heavily processed and some aren't. Sure anyway, shouldn't assignments make you try / learn something you haven't done?

In regards to not knowing how to do it, I find google usually helps ;) Good luck to everyone who trys it! Its damn tricky!
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HDR+tutorial

HDR is being fully discussed at the moment on the mainpage.

Homer, trust me I wasnt "too impressed" neither reading it, but this is éxactly what this section was originally about. HDR is one of the newest 'trends' in photography and I find it's a 50/50 stake re. people hating or loving it. The assignments are ment to sweep you outside of your comfortzone, make you try new things and experiment.

Which is what I will do. After probably searching 2 weeks on "How to ..." and miserably failing at it all together. But at least I will give it a go and not sulk about it. Nah :o

• Advertisement

I chose HDR/tonemappeda as its been such a topic of conversation lately. It's completely open so you can shoot whatever you want to.

There are tons of tutorials online and youtube for how to create HDR/tonemapped images in photoshop and other free downloadable programs/software.

Some examples of HDR tutorials are

Here,

Here

and Here

Its totally open for any interpretation seeing as you can post any image you like. I showed more than 2-3 examples because I wanted to show that you can create an HDR/tonemapped image of architecture, landscape, interiors, exteriors and even portraits (see below).
    For people who have never tried making an HDR/tonemapped image its a chance to learn and try something new. If the assignment wasn't a bit of a challenge and got people thinking/trying new things it would become a little bit stagnant I think.

4069023759_85ac5c3256.jpg

I really do think people are getting awfull confused between the "assignments" and "challanges" here think about it , a challange is supposed to challange you no??? and no im not sulking nothing of the sort but im not really into all the fancy editing photos ect i'd far rather see a photo of something cought in the spur of the moment rather than something thats been post processed, after all thats what photography is all about, well for me anyways! sure i'll read up on it but as i said im not a fan of post processing, mearly stating my opinion!

Edit thanks for posting the links for lazy people like me, google is evil you know!!!! (i watch too much discovery channell)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

sNarah wrote: »
    but this is éxactly what this section was originally about.

I have to disagree, this section is for taking you out of your comfort zone in respect of photography, not PP.

Heavey PP has always been a bit frowned upon...

It's also in the rules, although they're not heavily enforced

I'm not big into PP but I am big into photography and after suffering for the past two weeks from not using public transport I have to suffer another two weeks :(

/moan

Good luck to all that enter though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Jaysus Pete you do like controversy! :)

I've tried this before, more to test out it out and not so much because I like the end results - generally I don't but I must admit your shot of the custom house and the one of the stairs in the gaol (Kilmainham??) are quite tastefully done.

For what it's worth - I like taking part in these assignments for a number of reasons;

1. it makes me think about getting a specific shot and I generally try to plan it out, something I wouldn't do otherwise.
    2. occasionally it does push me out of my comfort zone - definitely the last few assignments have done that and in the process I've learned a few things - trial and error and with the help of google.

This assignment not only challenges your photography skills but also your PP skills - lets face it, a good HDR of a crap photo/scene is hardly going to garner many votes so the emphasis (imo) is still on the picture taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Some of those photos are awesome though Pete. I know a lot of ppl don't like HDR but I think it can be great if used correctly. I'd really like to try and get one in for this. We'll see...

Let the shooting games begin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Oh this should be fun, only tired HDR once. I take it anything goes be it, the less is more, to totaly over cooked ? :cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I gotta say, not loving the last 2 challenges- no offense, Pete, but surely this is a pp assignment? I have a rubbish computer, so to try and enter this would be very very difficult for me- I understand where you're coming from with these slightly more challenging challenges, but really... My comp can take 10 minutes to make an edit in picassa right now, how am I meant to do HDR?

(Sorry, I may be bitter about my crappy computer right now, I will admit that :rolleyes:)

Anyway, not that I have along history of entering these things- I've only entered into one, but I was hoping to keep going. Oh well.

For the picasa users like me i found this link after a good while of trying, cos nowwhere really seems to show you how to do the HDR thing unless they are asking for you to download stuff or show you photoshop/lightroom. Ive tried doing this with a few of my photos now, changes very little, maybe im doing it wrong but i dont really see the point in sitting at a comp for ages trying to make a fake photo, anyways heres the link if anyone wants to try it in picasa.

http://funtography.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/pmhdr-photos-in-picasa-3/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

Since this is more of a PP assignment than a photo taking assignment, does the photo still have to be taking during the time the assignment runs for, or can you go back and do a HDR of an old photo that you like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i know we all had a good old bitchin session about pete the last time but this time we can take a picture of ANYTHING and people are still moaning.

i dont see how taking a picture of ANYTHING you want takes people out of their comfort zone.

right i think its good as i have never done much with this.

( and i think pp is a part of all photography and this is a bumper assignment as in you not only have to take a good picture but you have to process it well too)

now HDR is.........

Martron wrote: »
    i know we all had a good old bitchin session about pete the last time but this time we can take a picture of ANYTHING and people are still moaning.

i dont see how taking a picture of ANYTHING you want takes people out of their comfort zone.

right i think its good as i have never done much with this.

( and i think pp is a part of all photography and this is a bumper assignment as in you not only have to take a good picture but you have to process it well too)

now HDR is.........

exactly, less moaning more pics lads, its supposed to be a fun :rolleyes:

I know it's supposed to be fun. That's my point.

Look, I have no problem with pushing myself, and hey, it's not like I have a huge history of entering these things! All I know is the only thing that was stopping me having a go before was my confidence, now I'm being held back by my lack of equipment. Even if some of the other challenges were really challenging, you could still have a go even with a pinhole, a disposable, a compact, right up to a dslr. Not so here.

That's my issue, but hey, fair play to Pete for winning the last 2, and good luck to everyone having a go this time!

:)

zoegh wrote: »
    I know it's supposed to be fun. That's my point.

Look, I have no problem with pushing myself, and hey, it's not like I have a huge history of entering these things! All I know is the only thing that was stopping me having a go before was my confidence, now I'm being held back by my lack of equipment. Even if some of the other challenges were really challenging, you could still have a go even with a pinhole, a disposable, a compact, right up to a dslr. Not so here.

That's my issue, but hey, fair play to Pete for winning the last 2, and good luck to everyone having a go this time!

wasnt directly aimed at you bro, i just meant we are on the second page and only one entry the rest is mostly arguing.what equipment is holding you back in this assignment? You could do one of these shots with a camera phone, wouldnt be perfect but its possible.

sure there is loads of free software like paint.net and photomatix. you dont need a super computer to run these programs either i have a 5 year old laptop and sure its slow but it manages to process the pics ok.

sure downloiad the program and see how it goes. if it does not work it does not work. nothing lost out on . but at least you will know.

Martron wrote: »
    sure there is loads of free software like paint.net and photomatix. you dont need a super computer to run these programs either i have a 5 year old laptop and sure its slow but it manages to process the pics ok.

sure downloiad the program and see how it goes. if it does not work it does not work. nothing lost out on . but at least you will know.

photomatix aint free ;) where did you get it for free:pac: he can get the evaluation coy but it will leave a watermark

watermarks are fine if you only have the evaluation version!

pete4130 wrote: »
    watermarks are fine if you only have the evaluation version!

good to hear, looking forward to this one.

i say no more arguing, next post better be a picture :D

projectgtr wrote: »
    photomatix aint free ;) where did you get it for free:pac: he can get the evaluation coy but it will leave a watermark

you can download a copy of photomatix which has watermarks for free!!! thats what i meant.

watermarks should not really be an issue for this assignment

• Advertisement

ok the next post will be a picture :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

FYI - GIMP is a free photo app, that has a "Tone Mapping" plug-in script available for download. Quite a decent app, and completely FREE!

There is also a "USB" version, which is useful if using non-personal computers, i.e. at work, college, cafe etc.

BTW - I do not work for, or associated in any way, with GIMP! :D

Trapped at home today. Decided to put one up here.
    2E1E133ECAF5459D8D614EC0D9924BD0-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I tried playing around with this a few months, unfortunately, I haven't had any time to work more since.

Here's one I took in Gougane Barra in Cork

3997573357_fb7147a1c5_o.jpg

Photos must be taken since assignment began

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ah apologies - that one completely slipped my mind.

• Advertisement

:P:o:(;):rolleyes::):D:p:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Three exposures AEB on my 450D -2 0 +2 - Photomatix tonemapped the processed in Lightroom 2

Not very exciting subject matter :D

D8419EB8964749B287C57322467731F0.jpg

i like it trev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

ok here's one taken today.

C928A84D785843718684E51143120379-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Thanks Martron :)

• Advertisement

ok here's one taken today.

]

looks nearly 3d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

good assignment, finally a chance to bother trying a hdr!
    i shall be out with the camera tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

First attempt - the 3 exposures captured quite a bit of movement :( so it's a bit soft in places.

E414B645D49F449E99A9887C4D9E7933-800.jpg

Ok, I just read back over my posts in this thread, and I want to apologise for being a bit moany.

Love the ketchup bottle shot, Trev!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

More of a Pseudo-HDR, if that's allowed

IMG_4595.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Just as Pete excluded a good few people last time with his ' spying photo of a non Irish person(in most cases) photo on public transport' he has once again decided to exclude a large constituency from this ' challenge'.

I presume this is a deliberate 'FU' to the people who complained last time.

Then again he was voted in.

keps wrote: »
    Just as Pete excluded a good few people last time with his ' spying photo of a non Irish person(in most cases) photo on public transport' he has once again decided to exclude a large constituent from this ' challenge'.

I actually fail to see how being allowed to take photos of ANYHTING as being exclusive. The only stipulation is the image has to be put through some sort of HDR or tonemapping software. If you can point out where the exclusiveness lies please spell it out for me and everyone else.

The first HDR/tonemapped images I ever did were on a now 7 year old Dell PC with 512MB RAM. Granted it took sa little time for the software to churn through 9 bracketed shots at 25MB each (maybe 5-7 mins) but it wasn't painstakingly long considering.
    It's up to you if you choose to participate or not. It is also up to me to choose what the topic of the assignment is. No assignemnt will ever make 100% of the people that want to participate happy.

If you do want to participate and not exclude yourself from the assigment I suggest you pick that camera up, step away from the keyboard and go take some pictures! ;)

Quote 'Granted it took sa little time for the software to churn through 9 bracketed shots at 25MB each (maybe 5-7 mins) but it wasn't painstakingly long considering'

OK ask 100 people who contribute here regularly what HDR/tonemapped images are and have they ever taken one or do they ever want to and what percentage would you get?

You have taken these assignments to a level that YOU like without any consideration for people that just wanna take an ordinary decent good photo.

pete4130 wrote: »
    I actually fail to see how being allowed to take photos of ANYHTING as being exclusive. The only stipulation is the image has to be put through some sort of HDR or tonemapping software. If you can point out where the exclusiveness lies please spell it out for me and everyone else.

The first HDR/tonemapped images I ever did were on a now 7 year old Dell PC with 512MB RAM. Granted it took sa little time for the software to churn through 9 bracketed shots at 25MB each (maybe 5-7 mins) but it wasn't painstakingly long considering.
    It's up to you if you choose to participate or not. It is also up to me to choose what the topic of the assignment is. No assignemnt will ever make 100% of the people that want to participate happy.

If you do want to participate and not exclude yourself from the assigment I suggest you pick that camera up, step away from the keyboard and go take some pictures! ;)

That smarmy arrogant 'private school' reply speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

keps wrote: »
    Quote 'Granted it took sa little time for the software to churn through 9 bracketed shots at 25MB each (maybe 5-7 mins) but it wasn't painstakingly long considering'

OK ask 100 people who contribute here regularly what HDR/tonemapped images are and have they ever taken one or do they ever want to and what percentage would you get?

You have taken these assignments to a level that YOU like without any consideration for people that just wanna take an ordinary decent good photo.

You could say that for anyone that wins the challenge, I mean we all know humberlog for the amazing collages/double exposures... Assignment No.9 was his and he set the task for people to either overlay with 2 digital prints or with film.

A challenge is a challenge. Is it going to effect you that badly if you did a HDR ? Why not just try it post your results, you could win and set the next chanllenge. Simples !

• Advertisement
Advertisement