Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 33 - HDR/tonemapped image

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Chorcai wrote: »
    A challenge is a challenge. Is it going to effect you that badly if you did a HDR ? Why not just try it post your results, you could win and set the next chanllenge. Simples !

See this is the thing its not a challange, assignments were made to be not like challanges,

And i have tried a few DHR shots now and they have all turned out to be not as nice as the origional photo (i think that we should see the origional photos along with the edited one) and no disrespect to anyone who has posted a photo but they arn't really great photos.

I just personally find the whole HDR thing pointless.

P.S. its not a personall jab im just stating challanges / assigments are not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Listen, I know this is a popular fad nowadays like twitters and tweets and 3d and Alice in Wonderland.

No hard feelings.:):)

Let the Games begin.

Is there any easy way to do this with Paint.net?

Only able to find one tutorial online, and it involves, what looks like, a half an hour technique.

Trev, what did you use for your Heinz and Coke shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

keps wrote: »
    That smarmy arrogant 'private school' reply speaks volumes.

I actually went to James' Street CBS where they drove stolen cars INSIDE the school and then set them on fire, slashed teachers tyres, beat each other up with knuckle dusters and bike helmets (this one was for good reason though as the guy getting beat up robbed another guys brother with a syringe), threw tables at the teachers and that sort of thing....far from private schooling! :p

So dont mess with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

^^^ lol - ya big jessie!
    Jebus but you had it good, when I was a lad ......

(can see a monty python sketch running in my head :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Its funny to watch Adults get whiny and throw their little tantrums when they don't get something their way :p

Pete, i said before and i'll say it again, great challenge :) I'm gonna try do one of these if college work doesnt get in the way :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

dan759 wrote: »
    Pete, i said before and i'll say it again, great challenge :) I'm gonna try do one of these if college work doesnt get in the way :mad:

Have to agree, and even though I've never tried a HDR before, and even though I may not submit a pic, I have been reading up about HDR/Tonemapping - so for that alone, it's been a worthwhile assignment.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

pete4130 wrote: »
    I actually went to James' Street CBS where they drove stolen cars INSIDE the school and then set them on fire, slashed teachers tyres, beat each other up with knuckle dusters and bike helmets (this one was for good reason though as the guy getting beat up robbed another guys brother with a syringe), threw tables at the teachers and that sort of thing....far from private schooling! :p

So dont mess with me!

What - you went to my school? When? Do you know valentia's brother is the chief bottle washer?

keps wrote: »
    OK ask 100 people who contribute here regularly what HDR/tonemapped images are and have they ever taken one or do they ever want to and what percentage would you get?

You have taken these assignments to a level that YOU like without any consideration for people that just wanna take an ordinary decent good photo.

See, the thing is, I don't like HDR all that much. I played with it 2-3 years ago for a little while to see what the buzz was about and at first I was impressed by these unrealistic highly detailed images and went off them pretty quickly.

I chose it as the assignment because of all the debate, talk and banter going on about it the past week or two...so it is you, other members of the forum who are responsible. I also considered it to be as open as it could be, considering you can take a picture(s) of anything you want to after the criticism of the last assigment.

The fact there has been so much interest in the assignment already, positive and negative alike shows an interest and is getting people involved in one way or another which is the whole point having the assignments. It will cause some people to go down an avenue of photography they haven't explored before, or to try some new processing techniques, try new things out with their camera (bracketing for example), give people a better understanding of the normal dynamic range of their camera is, understand what a High Dynamic Range is.

My pointbeing, I didn't choose this assignment because I'm an HDR fan at all.....I can't help that I'm good at it either :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Is there any easy way to do this with Paint.net?

Only able to find one tutorial online, and it involves, what looks like, a half an hour technique.

Trev, what did you use for your Heinz and Coke shot?

HI KKV,

Its actually a pretty straight forward process and doesnt take long at all once you have the software, there are a number of options, software wise here's a link to photo matix http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html

I used the following

Canon 450 D, set AEB +/- 2, set to aperture priority(my experience is this is easier to work with than TV) using a Sigma 10mm-20mm Lense set up on a crappy tripod (tripod essential to reduce ghosting particularly for the over exp shot i.e slower shutter speed).

The three exposures were shot in RAW format, I think I adjusted the white balance slightly in Digital Photo Pro (free canon app) as it was slightly off on the original expos.

I imported the 3 exposures, unaltered into Photomatix, i find its best not to do any adjustment before the import into photomatix otherwise it chews up the images horrendously. Then using the tonemapping tool in Photomatix I added a bit of fiddly pokery with balance adjustment and adaptive contrast. I used it all pretty sparingly as my experience is that if you over load the thing and they come out like a dogs dinner.

After the Photmatix conversion I saved as a jpeg, imported the resulting image into light room , did a basic adjustment on Highlights and blacks, added a bit of presence, unsaturated all the colour profiles other than the red. For all that its a pretty bland pic :D

I admit that the process might sound complicated but actually took 10 mins in total.

Hope thats of help...

Trev

On a side note - its hard to believe how much angst a processing technique seems to gererate.:eek::eek::D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Trev M wrote: »
    For all that its a pretty bland pic :D

Trev

no coke and ketchup are both rather tasty in their own right :D

It would be impossible to over estimate my dependency on Ketchup and Coke now that you put in that context Martron heh heh :D

Cheers for the detailed post Trev.

It still sounds pretty awkward though... learn by doing I suppose. I'll give it a shot later on or tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks man!

Single image tonemapped in Photomatix.

4465280530_b95362fc68.jpg

• Advertisement

3 shots, handheld -1, 0, +1 tone mapped in Photomatix and pp'd in CS3.

4465308900_a6a35d4a5d_b.jpg

Haven't been out of the house today, so I just took a quick pic of the wall;

hdr1.jpg

Hmm... I'm definitely missing something here!

Can anyone tell me how you actually export/save the file out of photomatix as a jpeg or some other 'normal' file type? I had to screen cap that above. It was a 28mb tiff image!?

Talk about a crap attempt. :o

Haven't been out of the house today, so I just took a quick pic of the wall;

Hmm... I'm definitely missing something here!

Can anyone tell me how you actually export/save the file out of photomatix as a jpeg or some other 'normal' file type? I had to screen cap that above. It was a 28mb tiff image!?

Talk about a crap attempt. :o

in the file bar at the top there is a section called process you will find it in there i think

nice pic pete........

on another note..... perhaps 3 in a row is too much. in that case can the second person pick the topic ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Martron wrote: »
    nice pic pete........

on another note..... perhaps 3 in a row is too much. in that case can the second person pick the topic ha ha
    Haha, there'll be an uprising if Pete wins again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

hey sorry if this sounds a bit condescending - i know everyone probably knows this already (i've taken a few HDR shots - far from expert mind you) but the key is to take a shot that 'NEEDS' HDR. as opposed to just taking HDR shots for the sake of it. I must try this assignment - the last one put me well off !!

Best places IMO are intricate interirs (cathedrals, city hall, churches etc.... where they have amazing detail/shadow areas that can be brought up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Here's a selection of HDR pictures that I found while researching the topic... some interesting ones. Might give a few poeple an idea of what to shoot

nice pic pete........

Ah, I'm pretty confident I'll get low votes this assignment....I was surprised at the last assignment tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Let me think...

Challenge - A call to engage in a contest, fight, or competition.

Boards.ie - voluntary, open and mostly free web forum.

I am missing any relation to words like elite, restriction, excluding...

On the other hand, my poor English would come up with associations like "get the phuck my lazy ar$e from the desk, take the camera and learn some processing" - motivation in short.

Thanks, Pete, I think I might pick up my gear and do something again.

ThOnda wrote: »
    Let me think...

Challenge - A call to engage in a contest, fight, or competition.

Boards.ie - voluntary, open and mostly free web forum.

I am missing any relation to words like elite, restriction, excluding...

On the other hand, my poor English would come up with associations like "get the phuck my lazy ar$e from the desk, take the camera and learn some processing" - motivation in short.

Thanks, Pete, I think I might pick up my gear and do something again.

Whoop!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I hope pete wins again, the last 2 threads have been very entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

cant upload the pics to pix.ie any ideas why:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

warder6161 wrote: »

You probably (I use flickr rather than pix.ie but assume it's the same problem) need to convert the file to jpeg; photomatix produces tiff files.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

very new to this how can i do that dutch guy:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

There's a dedicated pix.ie forum -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1238

Marcus usually pretty speedy at responding

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Enough discussion already....:)

I'll chance this assignment, since I have gotten over the recent HDR thread I started.

90AF4A84DD7345A1BE010ADD1C070E83-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

A1CEFF9A632F473AA5EB35904F096716-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

salamanca wrote: »
    !

looks like bullet holes in the sky !

very new to this how can i do that dutch guy:confused:

You can either do it in photoshop/lightroom if you make further changes in those after tonemapping, or after tonemapping you can select "save as" in photomatix (if that's what you're using anyway)and select jpeg as file type.

4468874961_3c43b98054.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

Chorcai wrote: »
    looks like bullet holes in the sky !
    :)

I followed the instructions here:

http://garmahis.com/tutorials/hdr-tutorial-free-software/

Once you have it installed it was actually much easier than I expected to generate a HDR photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

4469799219_f1cd01884c_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

3E3CFFB17FD447B4823B0B27FB87B19A-800.jpg

• Advertisement

I just want to place on the record my apologies to Pete over some uncalled for and unfair comments I made earlier in this thread.

I am delighted to hear that Pete is a CBS fella like meself:)

Just to show my transformation - I went out this morning with my old D70 which had an auto- bracketing system that I know how to use and clicked away merrily.

Then came back and spent a few hours using the very user-friendly HDR facility on CS4 which I never even knew existed until I googled 'HDR software' this morning.

The results are, I have to say, very poor - but that is more to do with the guy behind the camera rather than the process itself

So I have learned a lot today - and only because of this challenge.

I hope to post an entry next weekend.

Once again, I apologise to Pete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

It got you trying new things, which was the point!
    i just made my first attempt at a hdr.
    4470358925_bc125b1f1a_o.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

This thread needs a hand :D
    handp.jpg

This thread needs a hand :D

Your fingerprints are all over that photo Longshanks.

I can only assume that the bright band in the middle has something to do with ghosts rather than anything on my part :D

BC2ACDECC2E7436ABA4486DDDFB86A53-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

After all my effin' and blindin' I stole/ borrowed the work laptop, took some shots this evening and had a go.

95EDBF797F894649BB56A9702DA41337-800.jpg

Pretty sure I went overboard, but it's my first go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I can only assume that the bright band in the middle has something to do with ghosts rather than anything on my part :D

great shot bro where was that?? what lens did you use, never thought about turning my HDR shots into B/W looks really well

And I figure I might as well stick up the other decent one, I actually think I prefer it-

F3EFB19640B042ACABF187C9EA1CB987-800.jpg

:o

zoegh wrote: »
    And I figure I might as well stick up the other decent one, I actually think I prefer it-

:o

looks ;like you were up early

Would you believe that was taken about 3 hours ago? Ah, the wonders of tonemapping, it would seem... turning night into day!!! ;)

zoegh wrote: »
    Would you believe that was taken about 3 hours ago? Ah, the wonders of tonemapping, it would seem... turning night into day!!! ;)

I think he meant because it's so deserted...:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement