Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 33 - HDR/tonemapped image

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭waterways

Although photo assignments are somewhat different to challenges I also don't like artificial frames in assignments.

There is nothing wrong with natural framing. This will focus attention on the main part of the picture.

Artifical borders and frames often "confine" the images, change the composition or divert attention.

IMO most images just look better unbordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

to be honest with you waterways i think frames suit a lot of pictures and in some cases makes the photo more effective.

you are of course entitled to your own opinion as everyone hre is . but i think you could have phrased your previous comment to Keps better. It was made out the Keps had done something wrong but in fact it was just that you thought the frame did not suit the picture. ( i however liked the frame.)

different strokes for different folks and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

DSC_0107_stitch-3_-4_-5_-2__tonemap.jpg?t=1270384741

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭waterways

Martron wrote: »
    but i think you could have phrased your previous comment to Keps better. It was made out the Keps had done something wrong but in fact it was just that you thought the frame did not suit the picture. ( i however liked the frame.)

Sorry, no irritation or wagging finger was intended.

With frame the "hovering in the air" and floating effect of the bottle has gone lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Bit cluttered perhaps but...

ED46773ED12643F0B8747C5D11DE6D33-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

BCCFAFA21A4E43C781ECF575E2A1AD78-800.jpg?r=2

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

335EE4523E344E409B1ED00C203A1FB5-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mick Hunt

4493993625_6e280c8dc9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pbt20

For the picasa users like me i found this link after a good while of trying, cos nowwhere really seems to show you how to do the HDR thing unless they are asking for you to download stuff or show you photoshop/lightroom. Ive tried doing this with a few of my photos now, changes very little, maybe im doing it wrong but i dont really see the point in sitting at a comp for ages trying to make a fake photo, anyways heres the link if anyone wants to try it in picasa.

http://funtography.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/pmhdr-photos-in-picasa-3/
    C093A51226F8454BA80386A23A7AEDA1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pbt20

1F9E78E971914A21AF4C361391D0BD3A-800.jpg 500x100-biggerhugerlabs-default-top-000000-FFFFFF.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

BTW

Thanks to both Waterways and Pete.

I have produced a B&W shot of the Coke bottle(non HDR) without the frame which I have posted on the 'random' thread.

I like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

4496515601_5924d781c7_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

4496606129_7a0597c900.jpg

Not getting many opportunities to get out and about this weather so this will have to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 allj97

43E4E557387F4E2495AD45DF0BD9337F-800.jpg

First HDR Attempt !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

4497025439_7073ac3a7a_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

beachbright__dark.jpg

stairsbrightAnd2more.jpg

Damn thought we had a few more days :(

25fswad.jpg

Looks like Longshanks hangs on by his fingertips:)....but we await the official announcement!

yeah he won it alright.

How about a "hand" for longshanks!!!

• Advertisement

Martron wrote: »
    yeah he won it alright.

How about a "hand" for longshanks!!!

hahhahah good one,

fair play longshanks great shot, also showing HDR doesnt need to be in your face obvious, good win and looking forward to a new topic, specailly with the longer evenings now yay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

i could be wrong but i was chatting to longshanks before the weekend and he wont be about for a week or so i think, i'll give him a text see if he can get to a comp.

Just to sincerely say 'THANKS' to Pete for setting an assignment which brought a few us into a new area - and especially to say 'Bravo' to him for accepting and countering the early criticism with a very good logic and a very pleasant style.:):)

oh just because you found out he went to CBS and probably figured he could beat you up..... ha ha

lets move on from all this assignment moaning . there should be a rule that no monaing past post 10!!!

( i say post 10 as we all like a bit of moaning)

Well i was prob cheif moaner (maily cos i dont like post processing as it isnt really photography IMO) but just to prove i did try here is my attempt i still like the origional better, but i will post the pic up just to show i did try.....

Suset%20shad.jpg

Dammit i really hate them watermark things anyone know how to get rid of them when uploading from picaso? edit i have now figured out how to upload without it, yippee

Well i was prob cheif moaner (maily cos i dont like post processing as it isnt really photography IMO) but just to prove i did try here is my attempt i still like the origional better, but i will post the pic up just to show i did try.....

Dammit i really hate them watermark things anyone know how to get rid of them when uploading from picaso?

I really luvvit -It's a little bit over cooked like some of mine -but concept behind the photo is really good.

Have you got a non- HDR version of that shot?

keps wrote: »
    I really luvvit -It's a little bit over cooked like some of mine -but concept behind the photo is really good.

Have you got a non- HDR version of that shot?

I didnt think it was that great for the reason that it was overcooked kinda fake looking, i have one that was cropped version can't the the origional (i find picaso does that)

By the way im surprised but delighted someone likes it....

IMG_1058.jpg

original was better i think...... but jees thats not the point!!! :D

By the way im surprised but delighted someone likes it....

HS

That is one helluva great photo:)

• Advertisement

Just to let you know Homer that in my opinion that is a really top class shot- and I am delighted that we got a chance to see it.

You have a really great eye for a good image- I hope you keep your interest in takin' photos

keps wrote: »
    HS

That is one helluva great photo:)

Thanks you very much, i didnt think that much of it!!!

On another note just heard back from Longshanks there now, he is delighted he won! He said to tell everyone thanks for voting, and asked me to put up the next assignment i'll put it up tomorrow evening, to keep the timing right! its a dam good topic too something i have never done before either but have often thought about doing, i'll have no excuse now i guess!!! No point asking what it is you'll just have to wait till tomorrow evening to see:p

Thanks you very much, i didnt think that much of it!!!

OK

Drop it down to the required 800 px and put it on to the Random site

If it it gets over 8 'thanks' you owe me fiver.

If it gets less than 8 votes- tough luck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Just wanna say congrats to Longshanks - great picture and definitely my favourite of the bunch. Also I think, despite the early detractors, this was one of the more popular assignments. It definitely got me working on stuff that I normally wouldn't have - and not just in PP, I was actively looking and thinking about they type of shot that HDR would work on. For that alone I must say kudos to Pete!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Bah. I failed. Didn't even go out and took the shots. :(

Anyho, good assignment, happy to see there was a good turnout.

And yes , I agree "10 posts of moaning!" :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

sprinkles wrote: »
    ... I was actively looking and thinking about they type of shot that HDR would work on. For that alone I must say kudos to Pete!

Also like to say Thanks to Pete. I didn't get to submit a shot, but I did learn a lot.

I was having hassle with trying to get the image I wanted. Had to overexpose to make the colours jump, but had to underexpose to get the detail :confused: Still haven't got it exactly right yet, but getting there! Think I'll have to try using Photomatix - but until this assignment, I didn't know much about HDR, or in fact, how to do auto bracketing on my camera :o

A very worthy & worthwhile assignment, I reckon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Cheers guys for the votes!!!
    & fair play to homer for setting up next one.

I'm just getting online again for 1st time in week & must get into the new tread to catch up in the progress

Advertisement