Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teens with nothing to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is stuff to do but parents have to usually be arsed and sign consent forms and encorage the kids to go and in a lot of cases money has to be found from somewhere as well and either there's none to spare or it's not a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There is stuff to do but parents have to usually be arsed and sign consent forms and encorage the kids to go and in a lot of cases money has to be found from somewhere as well and either there's none to spare or it's not a priority.

Possibly your first 2 points are right .

However when it comes to money , I disagree .

Scouts does not cost a lot , it certainly costs less that buying a Wii or other gadgets that I would lay money a lot of these kids would have floating around.

A games console is a once off outlay by parents, with scouts there is weekly subs, registration, cost of uniform and then cost of trips, it's a rolling expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I suppose money is always an issue in some way or another. I reckon though that the most important thing is the attitude and input from the parents / parent. I put up a thread awhile back that was a bit emotive about two lads that I knew.

They both had intelligence and interests and they had great potential as most kids do have. They both however ended up in prison due to minor and major crimes one of which was headline news awhile back. These lads were sound chaps with a future that could have went one way or the other. Unfortunately it went the 'other'.

The parent didn't look after them and let them run wild and gave them no oppurtunities or alternatives whatsoever. I don't know why she let this happen, personal problems I guess due to substance abuse etc.

Maybe something should and could be done in that respect to open these parents eyes as to oppurtunities for themselves as parents via support and some kind of initiatives 'pushed' at them as an option at least. When I say pushed I mean it should be made heavily available and very accessible almost to the point of making them take the initiatives on offer with a potential reward system in place? Ok it won't solve everything as there will always be some that are lost causes but at least it could be a step in the right direction?

I reckon a lot of the problem is the lack of after school clubs and sports ect,
    In other countries the school buildings are there to be used so that kids won't get home until later when they have after school activies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Out of interest I know of a closed down golf course in Cork. Some folks / parents in this area took it upon themselves to 'trespass' on this closed, unused land. They took it upon themselves to create and actually paint a full football pitch, complete with all the lines etc it is regularly used by the local youths to practice matches for upcoming games by the local team which is underfunded. Essentially they are trespassing and it is illegal but...

in my view that is some good people and parents that have done this. The land is massive, and earmarked for development. In the meantime some innovative concerned parents / adult has turned a part of it into a football pitch. Is that not good and great and good for the area and indeed an inspiration for the kids in all senses including the rebel stuff in some way?

It is down to good people to do stuff to get kids into doing things that will benefit them in the long term really. My own nephews I think could have easily ended up in prison for crimes mentioned above, but they are doing well due to a massive family input and support. At the moment we have a potential olympic champion on the 'Irish squad at the moment' Fact. Plus the other chap is potentially a footballer that scouts will be looking at in the near future.

Great for them, I still think of the chaps that missed out though due to being left adrift with no parental guidance *sigh, that is life I guess.

Advertisement