Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

implant

Options
  • 23-03-2010 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

im looking for someone who has had the cochlear implant done for any words of advice as im due to get the operation done soon, female aged 28. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

im looking for someone who has had the cochlear implant done for any words of advice as im due to get the operation done soon, female aged 28. :confused:

parents wanted me to get it done as a teenager ,went for all the checkups to see if i was compatable up in beaumount hospital.it was some american doctor who was doing it far as i remember.ultimately the decision was up to me,i refused to get it done,wouldnt have made any difference really as i wear two hearing aids anyway.most people ive seen with it done seem to have got it done when they were young,theyre about 27 ,28 now.it was only really made available here about 12,14 years ago from what i remember.

weight up the pluses and cons.its not something to rush into.does it give you a better quality of life than wearing hearing aids?plenty of deaf people dont wear them and are happy the way they are.also its the cosmetic reasons.seems more girls than fellas have it done to me,hair can hide implant etc,unless ya grow long hair if yer a fella.if i was offered it now id still say no. thats me personally tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nichola seaver

Hi sorry have not checked boards in a while and only saw ur reply today. i do agree with you but i also am thinking what if i cud hear better than i can now, yeah im going to beaumont if i decide to get it done and ur rite its an american girl called jacki,its such a huge decision and i cant make up my mind, did u meet some users. i wear 2 aids myself. afraid id be worst off if i got it done,

Advertisement