Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laryngectomy - Are you aware?

Options
  • 24-03-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm a SLT student, currently in the second year of my degree. Today we had a talk from a laryngectomee. He had a total laryngectomy (i.e. Removal of vocal folds and larynx) due to laryngeal cancer (interestingly enough he never smoked). It was a really interesting talk, and it was very good to get a patient's perspective.
    Anyway I know this isn't really to do with speech disorders, but I think people need to made aware of an important issue, and that's how to do CPR on neck breathers. I'd really appreciate it, if you have a few spare minutes, if you could just look through this information leaflet that gives instructions on how to do CPR on laryngectomees. This information could lead to a life being saved, and there have been fatalities due to CPR being administered incorrectly on laryngectomees. i.e. Mouth to mouth.

http://www.laryngectomy.org.uk/images/Publications/7%20Nalc%20R.%20Leaflet.pdf

Also if you want anymore information on laryngectomies please go to this site, it covers practically everything!

http://www.laryngectomy.org.uk/

EDIT: Sorry title is misspelt - it should be laryngectomy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Interesting. Btw, you can edit the thread title (within 48 hours of original post) by clicking Go Advanced.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hi Lizt,

How do you find your speech therapy course?
    What have you been taught during first year to this point?

I am considering going down this route this September. I am someone who recovered from their problem and I think I can offer a different perspective to people who havent get recovered.

Any new theories/research coming out recently? And advancements in thinking/treatments, etc.? What kind of research do ye undertake yourselves as students?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

pog it wrote: »
    Hi Lizt,

How do you find your speech therapy course?
    What have you been taught during first year to this point?

I am considering going down this route this September. I am someone who recovered from their problem and I think I can offer a different perspective to people who havent get recovered.

Any new theories/research coming out recently? And advancements in thinking/treatments, etc.? What kind of research do ye undertake yourselves as students?

Hi! I really love the course. I'm doing it up North so it's only 3 years long. Over halfway through now - scary!! To answer your question there's research being done constantly. As SLT is a relatively small and new profession there isn't that much research about different conditions etc. The advancements in thinking - well it obviously depends on which area you're talking about - stuttering therapy has moved from indirect therapy to direct therapy (The likes of the Lidcombe programme and parent child interaction for pre schoolers), aphasia therapy has changed considerably in the last 20 -30 years. As students we don't do research until 3rd year, where we do a 5000 word research proposal on anything in the SLT area that hasn't already been researched.

The course is brilliant and there are lots of different areas to work in. I myself thought I'd really want to work with children, and while I did enjoy my pediatric placement, I think I know that my heart lies in therapy with adults.
    The structure of our course is Semester 1 Year 1- Foundation to SLT. Basic linguistics, health psychology, science for SLT, application of theory to practice.
    Semester 2- Pediatric placement. Developmental disabilites. This semester is really all about pediatrics.

Year 2 Semester 1 - Foundation of adult acquired disorders (mostly stroke), linguistics 2, cognitive science (how the brain process lang etc)
    Semester 2- More adult acquired, voice and speech sciences and dysfluency - adults and kids. Adult placement after Easter

Then next year is nearly all placement and research proposal. Bear in mind that this structure will vary if you decide to do a 4 year course. Our first year is what gets covered in 2 years by other universities. Hope this helps and if you do have any other questions please feel free to PM me!

Sorry about the essay btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks Lizt- wow you are doing a lot in the three years. I'm surprised at all the practical work experience too- you must be really looking forward to the experience you'll get after Easter. Well done to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭calf

hi I had a total laryngectomy in 2007 i would like to hear from other laryngectomee's if there is any around also any SLT or students who do any research into cancer of the larnyx would be interesed to hear of any new speaking valves aids ect

• Advertisement
Advertisement