Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Covers

Options
  • 24-03-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I have a PCIe card coming soon, and it'll be my first install of a card so I opened up my PC to get an idea of the procedure for when it arrives but I noticed something strange. On all the tutorials online, you need to unscrew the PCI slot covers with a screw, but mine don't have screws, I assume once you take them off you won't be able to put them back on.

I done a little research into it and realised some people had the same problem, and had to forcefully remove the cover. The cover will need to come off from the outside in, and if I have to use brute force to get it off, it seems very careless seeing as how it's close to so close to some vital components. The cover is litrally below the motherboard as well.

Is this the only way to get this off, or am I missing something completely obvious? The system is the Dell Studio XPS 8100, and it's a PCIe slot cover, but I doubt that will matter.

Any advice and even techniques are greatly welcomed :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i think thats were the screw is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

if yours doesnt have screws then it is a tool less design, i.e. its a clamp that comes down and covers all the pci/pcie cards and locks them in place. There should be a small handle on the inside beside the pci/pcie slot closest to the cpu, push it gently towards the cpu and lift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

massy086 wrote: »
    i think thats were the screw is

That's exactly what I was supposed to do, thanks for that! By the way, you have outstanding MS Paint skills :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Bonavox wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was supposed to do, thanks for that! By the way, you have outstanding MS Paint skills :pac:
    lol it got the job done glad your sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

I hadn't checked the image until he pointed out the MS paint skills and half expected a whole PC drawn in paint... I was not disappointed at all ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement