Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying with kids.

Options
  • 24-03-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum,
    What are the requirements with flying to the UK with young children under 7 do they need passports? My 6 year old's passport is expired and we'd need to travel within the next 2 weeks & with this strike in the passport office I doubt we'd get a new one in time. Can kids get some sort of ID for travelling?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seems like you should be ok on AerLingus, I think Ryanair insist on a passport though

http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/passport_visa_information.html#irluk
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    • Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
      • Valid Passport
      • Drivers licence with photo
      • International student card
      • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
      • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
      • Bus pass with photo
      • Work ID with photo
    • Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    • Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

According to ryanair, it looks like either child has to have own valid passport or be included on parent's valid passport

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/what-travel-documentation-do-i-need-to-travel-on-ryanair-flights

THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:
    • A valid passport - ( see below - */and ** below)
    • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries issue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland)
    • A valid German Government issued Kinderausweis travel document
    • A valid Italian Certificato Di Nascita which has been endorsed as "VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO" valid for travel. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport - see ** below.
    • A valid Italian AT/BT card (Italian domestic flights only)
    • A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document - (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    • A valid Convention Travel Document - (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    • A valid EU Collective Passport (issued to approved EU school groups who are under 18)
    • A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country
    * It is acceptable for children under 16 to travel on the valid passport of the parent with whom they are travelling, if they are included on that passport.
    ** When a child is listed on the valid passport of the parent with whom they are travelling the accompanying adult's travel document details must be duplicated in the child's document details section during the online check-in process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

BE CAREFUL.

Whle the AIRLINE may not need documents, the immigration guys at Dublin will need something.

I found this out the hard way when travelling to Dublin with my daughter (9 weeks old) overnight. Aer Arann require NO documentation for the child, but I got grilled at Dublin immigration.

They suggested I bring a birth cert in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

travelled to london and to jersey with my son when he was less then 6 mths and was never asked for any documentation for him.
    then to jersey again with son and daughter (2 and 8mths) no docs requsted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I suppose I was a bit conspicuous... 6'2" man with tiny girl in sling. First thing I was asked by the Garda was "Where is the mother?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Have brought babies to uk before without passports. With Ryanair first time before they required a passport (that only came in in the last year or so). I don't think I brought any docs with me, certainly wasn't asked for anything. Second time my husband brought our 2 yo to england. I told him to bring the birth cert which he did. No questions on the way out but on the way back he was asked in england for his birth cert, which of course, he'd managed to lose. He got a little grilling, a 'how do I know you're not kidnapping him' to which he replied by asking our son who he was and sone replied 'you're my daddy'. He was told to make sure he brought the birth cert in future.
    And we have brought them both to england every year (brother in law and cousins live there) by ferry with no checks for any docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

3DataModem wrote: »
    I suppose I was a bit conspicuous... 6'2" man with tiny girl in sling. First thing I was asked by the Garda was "Where is the mother?"

Ah yes, the age of sexual equality and all... :rolleyes:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Thanks for all the replies, I may just have to wait to get a passport. Didn't realise it had already expired. :rolleyes:

Advertisement