Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

willow cuttings

Options
  • 24-03-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Does anyone know if its too late to plant cuttings?I want to grow a wee den for the kids.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

aerosol wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its too late to plant cuttings?I want to grow a wee den for the kids.:)

In my experience they take fairly easily any time during the growing season - I potted some up recently & all looks well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

in my experience, I doubt you'd have a problem - town council cut down an old willow tree that had become rotten, and spent the next 10 years trying to kill it once and for all, the thing kept coming back! (We moved away so they're probably still trying to kill the poor thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

Its fine to grow hard wood cutting now, especially willow! The spring was very late this year so you have a little time still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Planted some cutting last week, and have ordered some more. With the late spring you'll be ok for a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Many thanks for the replies. I'm now looking for much longer ones that I've found,can anyone suggest somewhere that does 4ft plus whips? Ta:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

not sure where to source them, but try and get them with the buds still closed, as they will put out roots much quicker if they are not growing leaves at the same time.
    here's one i did about 3 weeks ago and it has taken fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

dardevle wrote: »

here's one i did about 3 weeks ago and it has taken fine.

That's one fancy wigwam. Are all the struts that are in contact with the ground going to grow roots?

with a bit of luck they should all take(mainstays and cross members)... the beauty of willow being that if some should fail you just stick another whip in alongside.... it may seem like a lot, but in summer the dome will grow in very full with leaves and with a yearly pruning and a bit of weaving of new growth every so often, its really not that labour intensive.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Thats a great dome Dardevle.I'm looking to do a much smaller and simpler one!:)

cheers

.... that dome is quite big (2 meters tall) because it was for a school playground installation, 1-1.5 m would be fine for a backyard dome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement