Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your first MP3 player

• 24-03-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

So what was it? Mine was this beauty. I was the first person out of anyone of my friends to get an MP3 player. Weighed a ton and was held together by tape in the end with a bit of cardboard to squeeze the headphone jack so that it would work. I still loved it tho.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Creative Zen touch...after seeing your mp3 player I then realized it was the future and saved up all my sheckles until i could afford one myself.

I miss the days when creative still made cutting edge mp3 players. If they brought out anything close in terms of size(dimensions and hard drive space) id buy it in a heartbeat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Waterloo Sunset

I remember foolishly thinking "no one would need THAT much space" and got this because it seemed a nice compact option and 512mb would be plenty :rolleyes::

creative-muvo-tx-512mb.gif

I eventually snapped and got something with 60 times the capacity and even that's not enough!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Patricide wrote: »
    Creative Zen touch...after seeing your mp3 player I then realized it was the future and saved up all my sheckles until i could afford one myself.

I miss the days when creative still made cutting edge mp3 players. If they brought out anything close in terms of size(dimensions and hard drive space) id buy it in a heartbeat!

Same here.Had a 20gb model and I couldnt fill half of it.6 years later and I laugh at 20gb :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Creative Zen touch for me aswell. 20gig was unbelievable, sure nobody would like that amount of music. My phone now has more memory than that Zen. Loved the Zen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

My first mp3 was an ipod mini that I won! I didn't even know I was entered in a competition until I opened a box in the post!

It stole my heart! :o

ipod_mini_2g_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

Iriver h140, 360euro it cost me I think.

h140%20big.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

This thread has me longing for my Zen Touch. I loved it. What a beast, had it for years. It could survive a direct hit by a nuke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Teferi wrote: »
    This thread has me longing for my Zen Touch. I loved it. What a beast, had it for years. It could survive a direct hit by a nuke.
    ha ha they where some yokes alright. Mine must have been thrown across the room about 20 times and it just kept going. Its the little train that could for the noughties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Another iRiver H140 owner here, followed by the H340. Bloody great players, especially with Rockbox. Both are still working and used on occasion.

The iRivers were followed by Creative's Vision M and the smaller Stone,
    in turn replaced by the Zune 80 and currently on the Zune HD 32.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

An iRiver H320. It's 5 years old and still works, but the battery isn't the best at this stage. I hardly use it now and won't be getting rid of it unless it dies completely. Must investigate Rockbox..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Samsung Yepp 64mb. :D

still have it, Jan 2000
    Samsung Yepp YP-E64 Portable MP3 Digital Audio Recorder/Player 64MB Memory
    Price: $216.95

here's the pic 4153SY8CYXL._SS400_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

. Must investigate Rockbox..
    I'm running rockbox on my X5 great piece of software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Iriver h140, 360euro it cost me I think.

h140%20big.jpg
    Same here. have it years since they were on the market. Great spec, beats all other MP3 players hands down. Use it every day on my commute to work. Battery lasts probably about 15 hrs or so. Not a scratch on this beauty I lovingly call "The Brick". Still one of the best MP3 players out there IMO. Received an 8GB Nano for Xmas but haven't even opened it yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

this was my first i remember begging my mother to buy it for me.
    i remember i thought i was so cool with it.

only 128mb i remember compressing the mp3s to fit more on :cool:

those were the days alright

alba-mp3128d6sil.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

I had a Rio PMP300 - 32MB of ram expandable to 48 with a 16MB card!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_PMP300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I had a Rio PMP300 - 32MB of ram expandable to 48 with a 16MB card!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_PMP300
    Snap..! :D

Was durable enough.. those were the days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Mine was this 30gb Monster
    8454726.jpg
    Still have it and it works well enough.
    Have moved on since then. too many mp3 players to list. But deffo anyone who has a compatible player with rockbox use it you won't look back!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

Ste- wrote: »
    8454726.jpg
    Have moved on since then. too many mp3 players to list. But deffo anyone who has a compatible player with rockbox use it you won't look back!

This was my second player! :) - i still have it and it's indestructible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

My first was the zen micro, think it was 4gb and of course i thought that was huge and would never need that much space. it lasted me a good few years and took some amount of abuse in that time, great little player
    zen_micro_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My first MP3 player was the 5.5G 80GB iPod I got in 2006, the first thing I used to play MP3 but wasn't a dedicated player was my N-Gage back in 2004. Back then I had a whopping 120 songs in my collection lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It was a Philips HDD100 with 15GB. I got good use out of it, but it was pretty crap in hindsight and the transfer software was terrible.
    hdd100_00__fv_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Mine wasn't that long ago, I had this :

first_generation_shuffle_i.jpg

Got it as I wanted to listen to music while training for the marathon, a waterproof case/lanyard was available for it and the shuffle was enough for me as I only wanted to copy over my favourite songs, not all the albums.

J.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another H140 owner here. Other than the weight, why would I ever want to replace something as good as that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ste- wrote: »
    8454726.jpg

My first player was the 60gb version of this, still around somewhere as well. Think I paid around 300 euro for it!

A friend of mine had a Creative Nomad Jukebox long before any of us had any kind of mp3 player. I remember us all being amazed by the amount of music that could fit on the massive 6GB hard drive!
    creative-nomad-jukebox.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

John mac wrote: »
    Samsung Yepp 64mb. :D

still have it, Jan 2000

here's the pic 4153SY8CYXL._SS400_.jpg

i had one of these things too, heap of ****e!, paralel cable to transfer songs over.
    64 meg was around 1 album and it took 20 mins to transfer it!

however, i loved it and it was coool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Found this thread as tonight I was checking for info on buying a new MP3 player, am itching to upgrade :D Currently own that "relic" 6GB Creative Jukebox, which is connected to the hifi and used every few days... Also, and my favourite gadget ever, is the 40GB Zen Touch :) Love that. Yep, the size of a 20 pack of cigarettes and a similar weight to a not-too-small rock, but very solid, very reliable, and after owning this thing since 2005, the battery is still going strong. Reason I'd like to upgrade..? More storage.

had the original creative zen 20gb like some of the other users. it died after about 3 years of daily use -so not quite indestructible like some have claimed :)

nomad-jukebox.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

iRiver ifp-390t

21146838-2-200-0.gif

Only 256MB but was flash memory so perfect for running until the iPod nano came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Steoob wrote: »
    So what was it? Mine was this beauty. I was the first person out of anyone of my friends to get an MP3 player. Weighed a ton and was held together by tape in the end with a bit of cardboard to squeeze the headphone jack so that it would work. I still loved it tho.

I had the same Nomad as you, then moved to iRiver h140, h340 and now have a Cowan iAudio 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

This temperamental little minx.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_500

rio500.jpg

Anyone else enter the Coca Cola, send-in-labels offer for an RCA\Thompson? Lyra, Licra?? I think it was around 2000-2002. Small nugget sized player that had a FlashMedia slot. Dinky.

I never got a Lyra, something else, I forget what though, Coca Cola sent me a player the size of a pack of cigarettes.. and with all the design charisma of a pack of cigarettes. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

muvom.jpg
    It was small enough to fit in that little coin pocket you get in jeans, which is why I loved it. 64Mb held an album and a bit so worked out perfectly for the trip into town and back out again. Also doubled as a USB key, which were rare enough to be carrying around back then (2003?)

About a year later I got a Muvo2:
    muvo2_front.jpg
    Didn't know myself with 4GB of storage, rechargeable battery and an LCD screen. I loved that little player.

I've an unbroken record so far of all of my MP3 players dying after getting drowned in the rain. Since my current MP3 player is my iphone, I'm hoping that my record is broken

seamus wrote: »
    I've an unbroken record so far of all of my MP3 players dying after getting drowned in the rain. Since my current MP3 player is my iphone, I'm hoping that my record is broken

Fine weather forecast for most of the week so you should be fine 'til the weekend at least :D

Before I log off for some dinner, can anyone recommend a new/new-ish player with more than 40GB space..? Will use primarily for audio, so ain't bothered if mp4 playback/fancy screen etc aren't an option. Oh, and nothing from Apple. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Before I log off for some dinner, can anyone recommend a new/new-ish player with more than 40GB space..? Will use primarily for audio, so ain't bothered if mp4 playback/fancy screen etc aren't an option. Oh, and nothing from Apple. Thanks.

CaSCaDe711, http://www.anythingbutipod.com/ is a good site to scout out non Apple players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I moved from a lovely Sony CD player to:

Creative Zen NX 20GB. The build quality was shoddy. I was the joke of the work place as I had three fail on me within a few months. I started out with a 20GB but got bumped up to a 40GB at the end:

zennx.jpg

After such a bad experience with the Creative (great player but so unreliable), I moved onto the iRiver H140. This was the bee's knees and it had optical out which was fantastic for connecting to a home cinema amp. The remote control it came with looked brilliant but was hugely impractical to use on a day to day basis.

h120.jpg

After that I moved onto the Cowon A2 30GB. I met a Polish lady and so we were heading to Poland quite frequently so I wanted to be able to wach some movies/TV series as well as music. The A2 was brilliant, it supported just about every format known to man and Cowon constantly updated the firmware with new features and support.

cowon_a2_pmp_buy.jpg

Having moved to the city centre and with no commute I sold the A2 and bought the Sony NW-A818. I didn't mind the loss in capacity as it meant I only put on the player what I really liked. Sound quality was stunning but Sonicstage was a pain in the ass. Thankfully I got a free upgrade to the NWZ-A818 the version that came out without needing Sonicstage.

Sony_Sony_NWZA818_-_8GB_Video_MP3_Walkman_-_Upto_30hrs_Battery_Life_-_Black.jpg

I spotted a 16GB iPod Touch on adverts for a great price a good while back and went for it. It's a great player, with great features, internet access and more but sound quality was never it's strong point.

ipod_touch_small.jpg

Having gotten myself a HTC Hero I was stunned at the sound quality, it's amazing, easily as good as any MP3 player I've ever had so I'm using that at the moment. I got myself a decent 8GB card and that does the job for the moment.

htc_hero_small.jpg

I remember each and every one, good times. Somewhere in between I had a Minidisc phase a few times but they were never terribly practical and it never lasted.

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    CaSCaDe711, http://www.anythingbutipod.com/ is a good site to scout out non Apple players.

Cheers, will browse the site tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

A friend of mine had a Creative Nomad Jukebox long before any of us had any kind of mp3 player. I remember us all being amazed by the amount of music that could fit on the massive 6GB hard drive!
    creative-nomad-jukebox.jpg

Had one of these back in 2000..... used to run on AA batteries!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Started off with the Creative Jukebox Zen Xtra 60gb. Still have it somewhere, a bit bashed in but works grand. Spent over €300 on it to replace my Minidisc player I'd only bought a few year previously. Minidiscs, they didn't stick around long.

Moved on to the Creative Zen Vision:M 60gb, a chunky little bastard. Lost it about a year ago, went out and got the same player again because none of the new flash memory based players could hold 60gb and it was a really decent mp3/video player (not having to convert divx video files is one of the most important features a player can have for me).

Haven't got it yet, but will soon be picking up a HTC Desire and a 32gb card to go with it. Will be leaving the Zen Vision:M behind then.

Looking at some of the old players, they look like something from 30 years ago. Hard to believe it was only about 2004 when I got my first mp3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My first was a 3rd Gen 15 GB iPod I bought in 2003.

I'm still using it. That is the great thing about Apple products, the quality of construction is the best there is. Now if it had been a Sony product, it would have died somewhere between 2004 and 2005.

Advertisement