Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does inter-country adoption process take?

Options
  • 24-03-2010 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I would really like to adopt a child from abroad.
    I have an initial meeting on Fri with the Inter-country Adoption Board.
    I heard it takes about 4 years from this point to be placed with a child - does it really take that long and is there anything that can be done to make it faster? Does the choice of country affect the timeframe?

Would love to hear from other people who are further down the process.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

We've adopted our 2 children from Russia. We adopted our son in 2004 and it took 3.5 years from initially applying to bringing him home.
    We just adopted our daughter last month and her adoption took 5.5 years.
    I suppose my point is that it can vary enormously. The waiting time for assessment varies depending on where you live. Dublin area has the longest wait.
    4 years is probably the minimum time.
    Check out the adoption forum on rollercoaster.ie and iaaireland.org

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Mervenut

Appolonia1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I would really like to adopt a child from abroad.
    I have an initial meeting on Fri with the Inter-country Adoption Board.
    I heard it takes about 4 years from this point to be placed with a child - does it really take that long and is there anything that can be done to make it faster? Does the choice of country affect the timeframe?

Would love to hear from other people who are further down the process.

Thanks!

Currently it really depends on where in the country you live. Dublin is about 4 years to getting you declaration curreently, then you have the waiting time which is country dependant (average 18 to 24 months)

However, as things change often and are currently in flux with the adoption bill about to come in, and new assesmant and mediation agencies being setup, it will probably change significantly as you progress, hopefully for the better!
    If you proceed it is well worth joining the International Adoption Association. See http://www.iaaireland.org/

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Again, it depends on where you are in the country. I am in Dublin, we applied in September 2005, we got our declaration September 2009 and we are currently awaiting a referral for Russia.

Advertisement