Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Fence Questions

• 24-03-2010 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

The horses in the field next to our new house are eating our new hedges. So I bought an 12V Electric Fence on ebay but it didn't come with any instructions so I am at a loss.

1. Does this work from a car battery? Or is there a 12V battery for the purpose?
    I bought a solar panel to recharge the battery.

2. Does the earth rod have to go down 8 feet or could I go down any less?

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

You should be able to get one in any hardwarestore which has a farmer clientele.

If you get the earth rod about 12 to 16 inches into the ground it will work well.

BrenC

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Dummy wrote: »
    Hi there,

The horses in the field next to our new house are eating our new hedges. So I bought an 12V Electric Fence on ebay but it didn't come with any instructions so I am at a loss.

1. Does this work from a car battery? Or is there a 12V battery for the purpose?
    I bought a solar panel to recharge the battery.

2. Does the earth rod have to go down 8 feet or could I go down any less?

D

Yeah there is a battery that sits inside our unit. Pricey enough too..

Our earth rod is a piece of scrap metal pushed into the ground about a foot or two..

Also these are highly stealable so hide it if you can.

We learnt that the hard way...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you both very much. I was doing a google search last night and read that I must drop 6 to 8 feet into the ground.

1 to 1.5 feet is music to ears.

But on the battery, would I get away with a car battery do you think?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Dummy wrote: »
    Thank you both very much. I was doing a google search last night and read that I must drop 6 to 8 feet into the ground.

1 to 1.5 feet is music to ears.

But on the battery, would I get away with a car battery do you think?

D.

Not too sure on the car battery as mine had special little quick connectors. Could you post up a link to the one you get as we need to get a new one? Last one was €160 odd and lasted a week before it took flight :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think you will need a battery specific to your fencer. On the earth rod, 8ft is probably for Australia. 1-2 feet is fine here, they work by using water in soil to conduct the electricity. If you like you can join 3 earth bars together with heavy guage wire. In the unlikely event of a drought in this country pour a bucket of water on the earth bar(s).

Make sure the horse tape or wire that you put up is well insulated from high grass, briars etc.

Good luck

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Just found this - http://www.gallagherireland.com/energizer.aspx?mktprodid=4675

This is the energiser I bought. It says "Uses 12 volt deep cycle rechargeable battery (leisure/marine type) - not included".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

An ordinary 12 volt car battery will do the trick. Preferably a sealed lead acid battery. Make uo connecting leads with crocodile clips and away you go. Proprietry batteries will cost you an arm and a leg. You can use a swimple trickle charger to charge the battery and put battery in a wooden box away from kids etc.

kodak wrote: »
    Not too sure on the car battery as mine had special little quick connectors. Could you post up a link to the one you get as we need to get a new one? Last one was €160 odd and lasted a week before it took flight :eek:

Hi Kodak. I am getting a marine battery from a friend. He tells me that they sell for roughly €75.

I also bought this solar charger - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-2-WATT-SOLAR-PANEL-FOR-ENERGISER-ELECTRIC-FENCE_W0QQitemZ200453848480QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item2eabfafda0

My friend says he uses a similar panel to maintain his battery if the boat is resting for a few months.

I hope this helps.

D.

Thank you PixbyJohn. You have re-assured me.

And thank you to all for your help & advice.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,617 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Im not absolutely certain but I think we had ours plugged into the mains somewhere (it was close to the house to stop bullocks from leaning on the fence and eating the hedging).
    I certainly don't remember us having a battery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement