Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lttle bit of advice painting a front door

• 24-03-2010 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi I have to paint my front door, It is a teak door with varnish on it ( Ronseal I think) my wife wants to paint it with Gloss paint, do I need to sand it down to the bare wood, or just take the shine and any loose bits of varnish of it and then give it a coat of undercoat or primer before applying the gloss on it:confused:. Any advice please

My best Rgds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

Anyone please,:)

babyjames wrote: »
    Hi I have to paint my front door, It is a teak door with varnish on it ( Ronseal I think) my wife wants to paint it with Gloss paint, do I need to sand it down to the bare wood, or just take the shine and any loose bits of varnish of it and then give it a coat of undercoat or primer before applying the gloss on it:confused:. Any advice please

My best Rgds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

i sanded it lightly as you say to remove the loose bits then painted it with an undercoat. i then used a high quality gloss. The job was oxo.

Have you kids.... The reason i ask is no matter how good the pain job it always chips at the edges from bikes prams and rollar skates. Also another good point would be to take off the door furnature ie the letter box and the knocker

Have you thought of trying the question in interior design or woodwork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

Joey thanks a million painting is not a forte of mine, Did not see the section on Interior design and woodwork section sorry.

Again my thanks.

Rgds
    i sanded it lightly as you say to remove the loose bits then painted it with an undercoat. i then used a high quality gloss. The job was oxo.

Have you kids.... The reason i ask is no matter how good the pain job it always chips at the edges from bikes prams and rollar skates. Also another good point would be to take off the door furnature ie the letter box and the knocker

Have you thought of trying the question in interior design or woodwork...

Advertisement