Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 24-03-2010 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

We can all agree that designing something, beit a website or a poster or anything like that, is quite time consuming. A lot of designers are perfectionists and will often spend a little bit too long on certain jobs, although there's no denying that a website is quite a laborious task.

My question is as follows...

Is that time element of it, just a part of the job...

The reason I ask is I'm working with a designer on a job at the moment...it's a marketing project...he's designing the site and the logo. I'm helping with the look of the site and the logo but moreso I'm writing all the text and coming up with the slogans and tag lines etc.

We were discussing how we'd bill and in the end he decided he wanted to bill seperately because he figured that he'd be doing a lot more work. Now this didn't bother me in one way or the other...but in thinking about it...

I am pretty fast with my writing etc..I can churn out stuff pretty quickly and I think effectively...is that work that I do worth less just because I don't take as long as a designer would?

do you think that time should come into it when it comes to putting a price on your work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Time + expertise + priority required + current workload + frequency of client

That's my general equation.

As to what weighting goes on each part - tough one!

I have had issues before with getting stuff done quickly where someone didn't then believe that it was hard work, and the answer is that if you're efficient and still get it done right that they're paying for that, too!

Look at it this way : someone spends 12 hours examining your car to find out what's wrong, and then an hour to fix it

Someone else instinctively knows what might be wrong, checks that, finds it within an hour and takes the hour to fix it.

Who should you pay more - or less - to ?

It's a tough call.

Personally, I'd still pay the second guy about half what I would have paid the first guy, thereby acknowledging that it was less time because of his efficiency and expertise, and we both gain in real terms.

Advertisement