Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33 years old and want to go to Australia

Options
  • 24-03-2010 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

I am a carpenter that has been running my own business in the USA. I am not documented here and am tired of paying tax and not being able to get something as simpla as a drivers licence. I have been here for 11 years. I am planning on going back to Ireland for a few months in September and then heading to Asia for a few months and hoping to eventually stop in Australia and work for a year or two there while traveling and see if I will be able to stay there.

I have been doing some research and it seems that because I am over 30, it may be difficult for me.

I went to college for two years in Ireland and did tourism skills and worked in hotels/restaurants for two years before coming to the states and getting on the job training as a carpenter.

Can anyone tell me the best way to get a work permit/visa to be able to work in Australia? Is it even possible for someone my age to do that?

Are there openings for carpenters there or would I be better applying using my tourism industry experience?

I have savings and am not concerned about being out of work for a bit when I get there as I could do with a break and would like to travel anyway when I'm there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or if you could point me in the right direction it would be great, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Are you qualified as a carpenter (have papers) or were you just working as a carpenter? Being 33 means that a WHV (i.e. working travelling for a year or 2 is out) - the other route is permanent residency but as far as i'm aware most trades were removed from the CSL list so you would be looking at a few years wait and i think a couple of K's to apply (once you have valid papers etc)...

besides that I think you're options are pretty limited - its going to be fairly hard for you to go there and work legally...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I have just read up on some of the visas available, I would have to take a test to prove that I am qualified as a carpenter, but from what I read, I will be able to apply for a permanent visa as I am under the age of 45.

I will have no problem paying whatever fee is necessary to pay for the Visa and the test, it is an investment as I look at it.

Now my next question is, where would I have to go to get tested? I see that it is very easy for someone in the UK to get tested, but is there somewhere in Ireland that thay can do the test? or will I have to travel to the UK for it.

thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josiegrosie

I have just read up on some of the visas available, I would have to take a test to prove that I am qualified as a carpenter, but from what I read, I will be able to apply for a permanent visa as I am under the age of 45.

I will have no problem paying whatever fee is necessary to pay for the Visa and the test, it is an investment as I look at it.

Now my next question is, where would I have to go to get tested? I see that it is very easy for someone in the UK to get tested, but is there somewhere in Ireland that thay can do the test? or will I have to travel to the UK for it.

thanks again.

hi
    my hubbie and i have applied for PR and are at the stage of having a skills assessment done...We're being assessed through Vetassess and applied on line, and followed it up with the required paperwork in the post. Expecting to hear back in about 6 weeks, afterwhich we will apply to WA for sponsorship and then to the national government for the skilled migration visa (1776)...
    Expeecting the whole process to take in excess of a year although we're hoping Geology will be slung onto the CSL once the changes are made in July. Although once it remains on the WA list, we should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hi ballyharpat,
    We applied in 2008 for a 175 perm residency oh is a carpenter. We didn't do vetassess, we did TRA because we are in Ireland. We had to show the Fetac cert, a letter from his employer detailing every job he had done, dates of employment and payslips to show that he had the necessary work experience done. It was 12 mths out of 24 or 24 out of the last 48 iirc. There were some changes recently so a good place to start is :

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/carpenter-4411-13.htm
    and
    http://www.deewr.gov.au/SKILLS/Pages/default.aspx

The skills assessment is the hardest part, take your time to read through and if you need help try www.pomsinoz.com
    Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am a carpenter that has been running my own business in the USA. I am not documented here and am tired of paying tax and not being able to get something as simpla as a drivers licence. I have been here for 11 years. I am planning on going back to Ireland for a few months in September and then heading to Asia for a few months and hoping to eventually stop in Australia and work for a year or two there while traveling and see if I will be able to stay there.

When you leave the states will they not cop you have been there illegally? Because to apply for Oz you need a Police cert for every country you have lived in for the last 10 years chances are on the federal police report this may come up.

Plus there is a question on the app in relation to are you excluded from any country.

This may be an issue for you to examine before you go spending money on a vetassess

• Advertisement
Advertisement