Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicare

Options
  • 24-03-2010 3:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Just so we're clear... As an Irish citizen I'm covered for an emergency situation if I end up in one?! What benefits do I have taking VHI on top of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

you will be covered same as public patient in ireland on a medical card - should anything happen you could still end up with ahefty bill...i think an ambulance is something like 700-800 etc and VHI includes full Travel insurance etc

http://www.vhi.ie/info/global/index.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Just checked VHI website and Global cover is just under €2,000 without dental cover. Ouch. Are there better offers out there?

that doesnt seem right - i'm paying under 1500 annually for 2 people...does that include US and Canada or just the rest of the world?

Ah! Beg you're pardon, excl. USA, Canada and Caribbean it's €734.00. Would I get a discount already being on a VHI plan?

Ah! Beg you're pardon, excl. USA, Canada and Caribbean it's €734.00. Would I get a discount already being on a VHI plan?

no don't think it matters...you can just convert your existing to a global without much hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Emailed them saying i am an existing VHI member and was traveling to Australia for a year this is what i got back

I wish to advise that under your current policy you are covered for up to Eur100,000 for medical emergencies and unforeseen illnesses while abroad for no more than 180 days in a year. Therefore, if you are travelling for 6 months or more I would recommend our Global Healthcare policies.

Global from Vhi Healthcare is International Private Health Insurance for Irish residents who are moving, travelling or studying abroad for more than 6 months. Global is available to both Vhi Healthcare members and non-Vhi Healthcare members. The product is designed to comprehensively cover your healthcare and travel insurance needs overseas. You can view more information on this insurance and sign up by accessing the following link to our website;

http://www.vhi.ie/info/global/index.jsp

Alternatively, we can arrange for our Membership Team to contact you to discuss the benefits of Global insurance and ascertain what your requirements are. If you would like to avail of this service, please advise your contact number by return e-mail.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

I wonder then could I travel on my own policy for 180 days then swap over to multi-trip (180 days max) which is significantly cheaper than global?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

I wonder then could I travel on my own policy for 180 days then swap over to multi-trip (180 days max) which is significantly cheaper than global?

Nope just after finding out there. If your planning on staying in Australia for a year or more you'll have to use Global. You can pay it monthly which works out f€ck all p/m.

Advertisement