Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akai MPK49 vs. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49

Options
  • 24-03-2010 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of trying to decide which of these keyboards to get. I've narrowed it down to these 2 after a long time deciding but I can't decide which of them to buy!

http://www.akaipro.com/mpk49
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AxiomPro49.html

Does anyone have experience with both or either even? I'm a logic user so preferably the one most compatible with that.

Anyone have any advice on which one is better?
    Or maybe someone can suggest another one that might be better for around the 350 euro mark? I used to have an axiom 49 (non pro) and sold it before i put it to good use! I believe the pro is miles better though...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    J
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Nobody have ANY experience with either of these!?

Dying to hear if anyone has any good reasons why one is much better than the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Nobody have ANY experience with either of these!?

Dying to hear if anyone has any good reasons why one is much better than the other!

mpk49 is better - had both, well the first version of the axiom and found the akai much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i have an axiom (the original ones not the pro) and everyday i regret getting it. get the akai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Pingu-D

The M-Audio Axiom Pro has a really nice auto mapping software with it! Maps its faders and what not with no hassle at all Used a mates and its nice to use! the mpk feels nice to play but id prefer the Axiom!

Thanks for the replies guys!

I've been thinking about it a lot and i think i'm gonna go for the mpk.
    Probably be getting it in the next couple of days so if anyone has something terrible to say about the mpk in the next day or two let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i think i seen one for sale on adverts, for 300 though - bit steep 2nd hand

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

I've had both akai and m-audio controllers and I'd have to say Akai all the way. The build quality is way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Angus Gibbins

Hey Jonathanpbk, How's the controller holding up? I just started getting the BSoD on my Axiom 49 first gen and looking at the MPK49 as a replacement. Still loving it? I'd really value your thoughts on it and any advice anyone else might have!

Cheers!

Wow, old thread!

Yeah i've been using this now for a long time and I've had zero problems with it! It really is a solid piece of kit!

The only things I'd lke to point out are that the pads are a bit tough. You really have to whack them hard to get a response, which isn't really feasible if you're trying to tap out a beat.

There are things you can do though, for instance the cheap and easy remedy is to simply open up the keyboard and stick a few layers of electrical tape under the pads to make them a little more sensitive. I've done this and if you're confident opening up things like this, it's pretty easy as there are detailed instructional videos on youtube to guide you through. Alternatively, you can buy "pad sensitivity kits" on ebay which are essentially MPC replacement pads.

Besides that, the keyboard works perfectly! And the little extras like the arpeggiator (which is surprisingly useful!) give it that edge over other models.

I'd definitely recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Angus Gibbins

Cheers mate, I think I'm pretty much sold on it, might order one tomorrow!

• Advertisement
Advertisement