Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGPS V Normal GPS on win mobile

• 24-03-2010 4:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Looking for a new phone that has to have GPS on it (And windows mobile). Notice a lot of new windows mobile phones have AGPS on them.

Would my Tomtom software work ok on AGPS phones or do you need a different suited GPS software? (Ive latest TT software and Euro maps)

Ive always been a fan of windows mobile, lots of software out there, compatible with outlook syncing etc.

I dont think any other operating phone systems has great GPS software available (Correct me if im wrong)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

snaps wrote: »
    Looking for a new phone that has to have GPS on it (And windows mobile). Notice a lot of new windows mobile phones have AGPS on them.

Would my Tomtom software work ok on AGPS phones or do you need a different suited GPS software? (Ive latest TT software and Euro maps)

Ive always been a fan of windows mobile, lots of software out there, compatible with outlook syncing etc.

I dont think any other operating phone systems has great GPS software available (Correct me if im wrong)?

Ovi maps for Symbian is good. The global maps are free and so is the navigation so its a pretty sweet deal I must say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Im so confused with this AGPS stuff. Is AGPS GPS that uses satellite or the mobile phone masts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

snaps wrote: »
    Im so confused with this AGPS stuff. Is AGPS GPS that uses satellite or the mobile phone masts?

AGPS uses the cellular data network to contact an assistance server to use more info to help with positioning. GPS can be poor from a cold start and can suffer from atmospheric and multipath problems so the assitance server can offset some of these issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

TT will work on both a GPS and AGPS WM phone.
    AGPS uses the id of base stations to get a faster fix on your location. on my SE Xperia X1 I it would download AGPS data once a week.
    I used TT7 on my X1.
    (This basically will store the cell IDs in the area that your in to allow the GPS get a faster fix on your location)
    The AGPS on my Satio only uses the data connection initially when im using a Sat Nav application.

With aGPS you will use GPRS/3G traffic, so its always a good idea to turn it off when your going abroad, even though most applications will know your roaming and ask you if you want to still download data.

Yeah I like WM as well, the X1 was a nice phone, would have kept it only it didnt have a xenon flash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

thanks for your answers

• Advertisement
Advertisement