Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hosting? mac user

Options
  • 24-03-2010 5:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

This might be a silly question but can I use for instance digiweb hosting if I am a mac user, I signed up for starter thing only to realise they have this whole linux and windows something or other.

Are there different hosters for mac users??

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

That's down to what system the host machine will be running, nothing to do with what system you run. It will depend on what web technologies you want to run that will make your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Whether you use a Mac or a PC is irrelevant

The only thing that would matter is if you were coding in ASP.net / ASP which are Microsoft Windows only.

Apart from that most other stuff will run just as well on Linux as on Windows hosting (and vice-versa)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

helpme1234 wrote: »
    This might be a silly question but can I use for instance digiweb hosting if I am a mac user, I signed up for starter thing only to realise they have this whole linux and windows something or other.

Are there different hosters for mac users??

Thank you

That's the reason that FTP is used to upload websites.

F.T. = "File Transfer", a.k.a. "copy the files from one place to another"
    P. = "Protocol / Standard", allow different operating systems (Windows/Mac/Linux) to understand each other without really needing to know what the operating system is.

The only thing to watch for is that if the target system is Linux, then filenames are case-sensitive, so a link or an image might be broken - safest to have all filenames lowercase so that this issue doesn't arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The only thing to watch for is that if the target system is Linux, then filenames are case-sensitive, so a link or an image might be broken - safest to have all filenames lowercase so that this issue doesn't arise.

And spaces in file names can make things messy too ..

Advertisement