Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Ideas please?!

• 24-03-2010 6:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Wats d craic. there 4 of us going over to america for the summer. Were flying to L.A but cant decide between santa barbara,san diego, hungtington beach or newport beach...Any ideas which would be best?any ye been there?Nice one!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

shaneire wrote: »
    Wats d craic. there 4 of us going over to america for the summer. Were flying to L.A but cant decide between santa barbara,san diego, hungtington beach or newport beach...Any ideas which would be best?any ye been there?Nice one!

This all depends on whether or not ye are "typical J1er's" i.e, love the beach, wanna be around loads of Irish etc. If this sounds like you then all of these places you listed should be great. If you are a bit more alternative though in your tastes and you want to meet lots of new and interesting people, go see lots of gigs, great clubs etc then head for San Francisco! One of the coolest places in the world imo!

Which ever u choose, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭snowcrazie

Head to Isla Vista in Santa Barbara, its amazing. Though you won't mix with the local americans. The friends we made were all mexican, the americans were all OC kids. They tended to amuse themselves by beating each other up and passing out after a couple of bottles of bud light :D!

Learn the art of beer pong, it'll get you through any party :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cherrybomb!

hi, 5 of us are lookin 2 go 2 hungtington on a j1 this summer...its 2 couples n our friend!!! has any1 gone recently...any tips or things we need 2 know?? what is the nitelife life and how easy is it 2 get jobs??

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lukiej

right well i was in Huntington Beach last summer and had the time of my life! firstly its in the best location in california in my opinion, 1hr 20min ish north of san diego, less then 30min from LA itself, 5 hours west of LAS VEGAS, 1hr 30min maybe bit more south of Santa Barbara and San Fran about 7 hrs north.. the weather is unreal, gets really warm in July and August. The beach is unreal. If you go early accom is easy enough got, we had none going and moved into an apartment with 13 other randomers, maybe a little too many for a 2 bed house but such craic, there was a lot of other j1er's in our complex and the complex up the street. a bike is a must in Huntington, it is well spread out, we were a 20 min cycle from the beach which absolutely flies, straight road the whole way down, not a problem. Jobs are tough enough to get, again first come first serve, a contact would help. me and another guy got work in the hollister shop in the mall 10 min up the road which was grand but **** enough hours and pay, but great discounts, also got a job with a construction company which allowed us to travel all over cali and they paid for accom. shops and restaurants hire but u just gota be there early and get on top of it again if u can organise something before u go out all the better, craigslist is excellent for jobs and accom. nightlife is ok in huntington, the majority of us were not 21, brought a fake license which worked at the start but they copped onto it soon enough and started asking for passports. they were all pubs we went to and two nightclubs. for nightlife we went to newport beach (10min taxi), long beach (20min taxi). works out cheap enough with a full car load. newport is class for nightlife, accepted licenses every where and alot better than huntington.. the buses in huntington also very handy for going to the beach if u too lazy to cycle, 1.25 a go or 3 dollars for day pass. we used them a lot for the beach and for going to newport and laguna during the day. i can go on and on all day about the place, it really is the definition of southern california, much more than i had expected. vegas was the highlight of the summer i cant explain it ul just have to go there to see for urself, it really is all its cracked up to be and so much more. didnt like san diego, was there for a weekend, maybe it was because i was settled in huntington, theyre completely different then again i had mates that were there for a summer and loved it. went to isla vista santa barbara for weekend, great spot absolutely mad, full of irish, all house parties, for me i wanted to get away from the irish scene for the summer but thats just me. went to san fran also for a couple of nights, cool city very different, we stayed in a frat house which was unreal! did all that travelling by renting a car which must be done, just to drive the open roads over there is epic! Will i go back?? definitely! im thinking about canada next summer and going to Huntington for August,probably the best month to be there with the surf open n all! i loved it over there, would go back in a hearbeat, gona try canada this year for a change of scenery and hopefully visit huntington in august. so much to do and see and in such a good location!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 J1summer!

Heading over in June!! Got Accomodation. cannot get a job!! ANY tips on finding a job please???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 SherryChem

Hey , me and 3 of my friends are heading over to California for the summer also, were thinking of heading to Newport Beach/ Costa Mesa if anyone else is thinking of heading to there to could you give us any tips on accommodation and jobs? or even if anyone is thinking of heading to the same area would they be interested in sharing a house so it will be cheaper? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

@lukiej That sounds amazing! Me and my college mates are heading next summer and we'll defo be checking out Huntington Beach so! Is it cheaper/better than Santa Monica do you know? That seems to get a lot of buzz too... Anything near LA but not in it does really!

Advertisement