Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Service - Main Dealer or Indy Garage

• 24-03-2010 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

My car (Volvo S40, 1.8) is four years old now, running well and is due a service in the next couple of months. I feel that the services we've had done by a Volvo dealer, won't say which, have been crazily expensive and we've taken the hit purely because we'd worried about the value of a fmsh for the resale.

In the current climate, selling won't be an option for the time being and I'm also thinking that given the current value of this car, the fmsh may not make that much of a difference.

So with so many garages offering specials on services, I'm wondering if I should just save my cash and go with one of these or should I continue to just pass my wallet to Volvo dealers and let them take what they want?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

My car (Volvo S40, 1.8) is four years old now, running well and is due a service in the next couple of months. I feel that the services we've had done by a Volvo dealer, won't say which, have been crazily expensive and we've taken the hit purely because we'd worried about the value of a fmsh for the resale.

In the current climate, selling won't be an option for the time being and I'm also thinking that given the current value of this car, the fmsh may not make that much of a difference.

So with so many garages offering specials on services, I'm wondering if I should just save my cash and go with one of these or should I continue to just pass my wallet to Volvo dealers and let them take what they want?

Under the fancy Volvo clothes, the car is a Ford, and I've never met a car mechanic who can't service a Petrol Ford.

We used Volvo for the first service on the Wife's V50 (bought used) to keep the 1 year dealer warranty we were given, then we've used independants since. It's costing about 50% less to service with an independant than it did with Volvo main dealer - and that's with the dealer looking after me as I was buying a fair few Volvo's from them at the time!

If there is nothing wrong with it any Joe Soap at all should be more than capable of servicing it, there isn't an awful lot to it :)

Advertisement