Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about going to the doctor

Options
  • 24-03-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could tell me can you just go to any doctors in Ireland or do you have to go to the one that is your usual? I know my old doc has all my files, history etc but due to work and travel if I went to him I'd miss 2 days of work that I can't afford to miss. So can I go to a doctor nearby for non serious related matters? Ya know something minor that doesn't involve my entire backstory?

My only other option is a NowDoc just down the road from where I live but do they only deal with serious stuff or can they see anyone?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can go to any GP in Ireland.
    Just give the name of your usual GP in case they need to ring him/her for questions etc.
    Not sure about NowDoc, but ring them and ask if it's ok to call in. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If your old gp is miles away, get a new one... It sucks having to start afresh with a stranger, but unless you want to travel to see him, its your only option.
    They'll ask some questions about your medical history, so its not like you're starting from a blank slate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

cheers for the quick reply, i would move doc but it's usually not to bad getting there i'm only an hour away but with work being what it is at minute i'll miss down and don't have a way before tomorrow evening again!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

As above, it won't be a problem if you go to any other GP if that suits you better. However, you are better only going to the GP co-op/out of hours emergency service for something that absolutely cannot wait until the next day. The service is only for emergency basics and usual things e.g. six month scripts, sending off urine samples etc, would not normally be available.

Advertisement