Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**URGENT** - We cannot keep our new Labrador puppy

Options
  • 24-03-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my wife adopted a beautiful Labrador puppy last week. We love him to bits, but unfortunately our personal circumstances have changed dramatically (and unexpectedly) in the past few days, and we can no longer give him the home he deserves. It is breaking our hearts, but it is not fair on him for us to keep him.

He is eight weeks old, IKC registered, microchipped, de-wormed, de-flea'd, etc. He had his first vaccine at six weeks, and we got his second one done on Saturday. He is due one more vaccine at 10 weeks.

Is there anyone out there who could give him a good home ASAP? We don't want him to get too attached to us when there is no possibility that we can hold on to him.

If there is somebody that wants him, you can also have all necessary bits and pieces such as bed, feeding bowls, lead, etc.

There are some pitures of him on my Flickr page here

Please PM me urgently if you are interested in taking him.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Contact the breeder you got him from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

post in the urgent section on pets ireland alot of the rescues use it, you say you adopted him do you mean you got him from a rescue ???if so they usealy have a give back rule in the adoption contract

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please contact the breeder first before you do anything!!!!

Do not move this pup on before contacting whoever you bought the pup from as most breeders will not want you to sell on the pup or rehome it and they require you to bring the pup back to them if you cannot keep it.

So before you do anything else contact the breeder first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Manaris

Be very very careful about sending the pup to a home "ASAP". Unfortunately labs have a tendency to go to child homes where they are often moved on when older so you need to make sure any new home is one where they don't just see a cute puppy but they understand that he will be a large and energetic dog.

Your best bet is the breeder. If they cannot take him back let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Manaris

Thanks everyone for all the responses. The breeder has agreed to take him back, so we are very relieved that we are certain he will be looked after properly now. Now we just have to deal with the heartbreak of losing him, because we had fallen completely in love with him!

Thanks again for your inputs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh thats great to hear. The breeder is obviously a responsible one as they will always take a dog back that they have bred if the new owner cant keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Manaris wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all the responses. The breeder has agreed to take him back, so we are very relieved that we are certain he will be looked after properly now. Now we just have to deal with the heartbreak of losing him, because we had fallen completely in love with him!

Thanks again for your inputs.
    thats great for the puppy that the breeder will take him back BUT i'm sorry for you hopefully thongs will change in the future and you'll be able to get another dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

Like everyone else I am so glad the breeder could sort it out for you. My heart is breaking for you both I can't imagine how awful it is to have to give him up and know how quickly we all feel in love with our puppys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

Glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Manaris

Thanks all for your kind words.

We are just home now after dropping him back to the breeder. We are very emotional and keep seeing reminders of him everywhere in the house. We both had a good cry and hopefully things will get easier from now. I can't believe how emotionally attached we could be in only a week! It wasn't meant to be I suppose, and we are just hoping now that we haven't messed the poor dog up too much, it wasn't his fault that things worked out like this, and we really just want him to be happy.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice, and your nice words, they are really helping us to get through this really heartbreaking day!

• Advertisement
Advertisement