Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC EVO - best phone on the planet?

Options
  • 24-03-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

In short:

- Android 2.1 + Sense UI
    - 1ghz
    - 512 ram
    - 8mpx camera + flash
    - 720p recording and hdmi out
    - 1.3mpx front camera
    - WiMAX
    - 4.3 inch screen
    - bigger battery than hd2

I want it (yes i know, CDMA.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jaysus thats good spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

wow. I want one too. wow wow wow :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Gief shiny phone plx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Looks promising.

Odds of getting this on a *12* month contract on an Irish network anytime before hell freezing over... not so promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

htc-evo-4g-landscape.jpg
    blazing fast 4G connectivity — which reaches speeds up to 10 times as fast as typical 3G networks — the phone is also a powerhouse device that bests Google’s Nexus One “superphone” (also built by HTC) in practically every way. If there can be only one Android superphone, the Evo 4G is it.

According to Engadget, the Evo 4G sports a 4.3-inch display and runs at a 480 x 800 resolution like the Nexus One (which has a 3.7-inch screen). It also features an insane 8-megapixel camera with flash (compared to the Nexus One’s 5-megapixel camera), which supports 720p high-definition video recording. And if that’s not enough, there’s also a front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera meant for video conferencing.

Beneath the hood, it runs a 1 gigahertz Snapdragon processor, and has 512MB of RAM and 1GB of storage (twice the storage of the Nexus One). The Evo also comes with an 8GB microSD card for storage, and will of course allow you to swap in larger cards whenever you want. And like many upcoming ultra-powered Android phones (and the Nexus One), it runs Android 2.1 — the latest version of the operating system — with HTC’s Sense UI for extra visual panache.

Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Looks promising.

Odds of getting this on a *12* month contract on an Irish network anytime before hell freezing over... not so promising.

Who waits for phones to be on contract? The good handsets never come out on operators networks in Ireland.

Just buy them sim free. That way you dont get and operator junk on them.

It uses WiMax doesnt it or else I may have read that for something else?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Presumably none of the irish networks would be capable of supporting the best features of this phone.

I'm still thinking HTC desire to be honest.

720P video sounds cool but not really a deal breaker for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Desire will have HD 720p recording in an update to be released in the next 2 months after launch. that was confirmed by HTC already. It just was not ready for the launch date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 misetusame

100gSoma wrote: »
    Desire will have HD 720p recording in an update to be released in the next 2 months after launch. that was confirmed by HTC already. It just was not ready for the launch date.

They're different machines of course, but I saw sample video from the HTC Legend, and it was pretty brutal. HD or not, I'm guessing the Desire's video won't be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

misetusame wrote: »
    They're different machines of course, but I saw sample video from the HTC Legend, and it was pretty brutal. HD or not, I'm guessing the Desire's video won't be much.

+ 1 - Htc just can't do decent cameras it seems

Savage spec but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Anyone know if Imagine ever plan on going down the mobile phone route?

I presume it would be easy enough to set up this on their Wimax network?

I dont think many Euro operators if any are going down the WIMax route. I think most are going for proper 4G. They are not the same although similar.

Theta wrote: »
    Who waits for phones to be on contract?

Plebs like me, although my patience with Nokia and the products that result from their market dominance is about up.

Plebs like me, although my patience with Nokia and the products that result from their market dominance is about up.

Each to there own I suppose. Yeah Nokia used to be leading the way now they are dull and grey and falling seriously behind.

Theta wrote: »
    Each to there own I suppose. Yeah Nokia used to be leading the way now they are dull and grey and falling seriously behind.

Indeed. The N97 may be the worst phone i've ever owned.

Indeed. The N97 may be the worst phone i've ever owned.

Same here thats why I am waiting for my desire to be delivered. Symbian is fooken rubbish! Hardware is great But the software is brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Looks very sweet I have to say but can't see it coming to Ireland given that Vodafone & O2 are commited to the Nexus One, Desire & HD2 already

squire23 wrote: »
    Looks very sweet I have to say but can't see it coming to Ireland given that Vodafone & O2 are commited to the Nexus One, Desire & HD2 already

Not to mention they would need to upgrade there networks to make it any use for there customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Gotta say,i bought the Nexus One in January and it's the best phone i've ever owned but this looks amazing. Pity our networks wouldn't fully enable the capabilities of this device.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nexuslad

what a phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's a cool phone, but don't be overly impressed by the 4G branding. Sprint's using WiMax in combination with existing 2G/3G CDMA networks. The WiMax footprint is still tiny and the speed it offers is slower than "3G" HSPA+ which is the current generation "mobile broadband" technology used by GSM operators in Ireland and all over Europe and T-Mobile and AT&T in the US.

If you're in a decent Meteor coverage area with the latest technology on the masts, you'll see what real 3GSM can do. I was getting close to 7mbit/s on my mobile broadband recently and they've a theoretical 14mbit/s in some areas of the West of Ireland which have had the latest hardware installed.

Read: http://www.htcsource.com/2010/03/four-reasons-why-the-htc-evo-4g-will-blow-your-mind/ for a balanced review.

It's possible that some version of this handset could be used with Imagine's WiMax or Digiweb's 4G technologies with a GSM bolt-on for voice.

Real 4G is LTE (Long Term Evolution) which is the next step in the GSM evolution. That will bring pretty amazing speeds that make WiMax look like a dial up modem.

The major problem with most of these technologies is bottlenecks in backhaul. To really get high speed, just like any ISP, the mobile networks have to get fibre optics to the mast. The existing radio backhaul infrastructure is not fast enough, which is why some networks' mobile broadband sucks! It's not necessarily the over-the-air technology that's holding it up, it's just sitting on a network that was designed to cope with WAP pages :)

I would not be surprised if HTC is one of the first mobile manufactures to launch a true 4G handset making use of LTE. They've proven themselves to be able to really make use of new technologies and to be very flexible with radio technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I think Verizon have plans for LTE phones in earlyish 2011. The EVO looks pretty sweet indeed, I just hope that the 720P recording will be brought over to my Nexus One.

not overly impressed at all... I have used the HTC HD2 and thats 4.3" screen too. It's TOO big... plus the resolution is the same (800x480) as the 3.7" screen on desire and nexus one which offers better pixels per square inch and higher clarity.

plus the screen only has 65,000 colours and is a TFT screen. The AMOLED screen on nexus one and desire and legend offers true blacks (no backlight) and faster refresh rates and is 16 million colours....did I mention its more energy efficient too?

certainly, its not the "best phone on the planet" in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

100gSoma wrote: »

plus the screen only has 65,000 colours and is a TFT screen. The AMOLED screen on nexus one and desire and legend offers true blacks (no backlight) and faster refresh rates and is 16 million colours....did I mention its more energy efficient too?

The 65k is a limitation of winmo 6.5.

Solair wrote: »
    the speed it offers is slower than "3G" HSPA+ which is the current generation "mobile broadband" technology used by GSM operators in Ireland and all over Europe and T-Mobile and AT&T in the US.

HSPA+ is not in use anywhere yet. I think your thinking of HSDPA which is in use by O2 and Voda here and by other operators all over Europe. Vodafone are currently trialling HSPA+ (evolved HSPA) in Dublin and Cork but no handsets are even available yet. HSDPA offers 7.2mb download rates. HSPA+ will offer up to 56mb down (Voda testing it at 21mb speeds). I think its a while away yet though. Not sure current generations handsets are even HSPA+ compatible, only HSDPA.

source: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/15132/comms/a-tech-first-for-vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Looks pretty big to me, I usually go for something smaller.
    The new Samsung Galaxy S looks like it could be the business:
    galaxys1.jpg

Specs:
    Android 2.1
    5mp camera (with 720p video recording)
    1 GHz processor too, not sure how much RAM
    WiFi b/g/n (are there many places with WiMax or Wireless N in ireland yet lol?)
    4 inch Super AMOLED display (I have AMOLED display on Jet and it's gorgeous)
    MP4/DivX/WMV/H.264/H.263 support
    122.4 x 64.2 x 9.9 mm, 118 g

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Solair wrote: »
    Real 4G is LTE (Long Term Evolution) which is the next step in the GSM evolution.

Have been doing some reading on this recently after having a long break from it since I done dissertation on the UMTS quite a few years ago.

From what I have read in some places, LTE isn't even considered to be a 4G technology. LTE Advanced seems to be the one that is actually considered a 4G tech.

Whether something is considered 4G though seems to be heavily dependent on whether you are European or American.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The main problem with the Samsung Galaxy S is that it's a Samsung.

On the other hand, Apple have contracted with Samsung for the iPhone 4's screen so it will probably have Super AMOLED, a tech which has been getting plenty of praise.

• Advertisement

samsung galaxy S is great. but hey... its due May 17th. I cannot keep putting this off forever. and in may 16th who knows what will be announced for July 16th etc etc etc ... Desire it is.

Advertisement