Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC EVO - best phone on the planet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

Solair wrote: »
    It's possible that some version of this handset could be used with Imagine's WiMax or Digiweb's 4G technologies with a GSM bolt-on for voice.

Whats a GSM bolt-on? I didnt think there was any way to get a CDMA phone working on an Irish GSM network.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 barrymac

Woo Hoo Android phone with a FFC! Crikey there's a lot of options when you start thinking about using voip accounts and imagine's wimax service with this HTC EVO. I use voipbusterpro to make free international calls to many locations, it's a fantastic service. The even have a j2me client for sending cheap texts.

I think I'd be tempted to switch my telephone service to a bargain bucket pay as you go sim card then and finally break away from the grips of the normal mobile operator! But only because of GSM coverage. Might be able to ditch the DSl link too!

Anyone here used Sipdroid? http://sipdroid.org/ They seem to be promising native support for video calling.

Any idea if imagine do anything to block third party voip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

100gSoma wrote: »
    samsung galaxy S is great. but hey... its due May 17th. I cannot keep putting this off forever. and in may 16th who knows what will be announced for July 16th etc etc etc ... Desire it is.

When exactly is the desire out do you know (in Ireland that is, not imported sim free)?

Ireland probably fairly soon it just hit the UK market with vodafone:
    http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/htc-desire?serverName=managed7&WT.mc_id=EMAIL-090310-HTCDesPre-Eshop-NonVF-SbHeadng&WT.mc_evt=click&cid=eml-ac-esh-htcnvf-sh

Lets see how sickening the difference is in price to here though!

Has anyone worked out well if the subsidies are worth it though I do wonder if it's worth it to get one sim free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Whats a GSM bolt-on? I didnt think there was any way to get a CDMA phone working on an Irish GSM network.

The "4G" aspect of this phone is being provided by a WiMax data connection normal voice, text and 3g data is being provided by CDMA and would be quite comparable to GSM/3g.

What I was suggesting is that htc could do something similar for say imagine or digiweb using WiMax & GSM/UMTS rather than CDMA. Htc are very flexible when it comes to radio technologies. It's just a different chipsets, not massively complicated.

Sprints Wimax CDMA combo is a bit weird though. It's likely to be another technological dead end like CDMA and Betamax.

HSPA + and LTE are the global standards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shaneosullivan

Just stick webOS onto it, and you have a perfect phone!

Just stick webOS onto it, and you have a perfect phone!

Agreed, would be nice if that happened, who knows it might before long!

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/04/12/htc-incredible-running-webos-could-drop-android/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Yep, it is a shame the Pre was put together from plastic bags and assembled by rodents. WebOS really is the best phone OS out there.

I am praying HTC buy Palm.

Advertisement