Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingstown harbour police

Options
  • 24-03-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hey there, I'm trying to find some information on the Kingstown Harbour Police to no avail so I said I'd stick a post up here to see if anyone has any information or knew of any good resources I could go to.

I have this information from the net so far but it's not much.

"The Kingstown Harbour Police was established in 1836 by virtue of section 59 of the Kingstown Harbour Act, and is the oldest surviving police force in Ireland. The original uniform consisted of a blue cloth jacket with red cuffs, grey pantaloons, blue waistcoat and a glazed hat. In 1924 the name was changed to the "Dún Laoghaire Harbour Police"

Any help or nudge in the right direction much appreciated!!

Cheers
    Fusion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You can usually find them parked outside the coffee shop at the ferry terminal if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

You can usually find them parked outside the coffee shop at the ferry terminal if that helps.

Hasn't been the Kingstown Harbour Police in a long, long time,so, unless you're seeing ghosts, that doesn't help at all tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Fusion251 wrote: »
    Hasn't been the Kingstown Harbour Police in a long, long time,so, unless you're seeing ghosts, that doesn't help at all tbh..

You said yourself they are the oldest surviving police force in the state. They were renamed and are now the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Police but it is the same force. The patrol between the east and west piers all day every day (and night). I think they are based at a building beside the yacht club just down from Irish lights. If you ask them telling them you are doing an article or whatever they may have more information or be able to point you in the right direction. You could also perhaps try googling terms like 'early RIC' or pay for temp access to the Irish Times archive - they should have an absolute wealth of information on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Morlar wrote: »
    You said yourself they are the oldest surviving police force in the state. They were renamed and are now the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Police but it is the same force. The patrol between the east and west piers all day every day (and night). I think they are based at a building beside the yacht club just down from Irish lights. If you ask them telling them you are doing an article or whatever they may have more information or be able to point you in the right direction. You could also perhaps try googling terms like 'early RIC' or pay for temp access to the Irish Times archive - they should have an absolute wealth of information on them.

Cool, might try the archive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Morlar said it all. They are an existing police force, albeit with a different name to the one they had 100 years ago.

Knocking on their front door may take a bit of effort, but is probably the most productive thing you could do.

It might be worth checking out the DL Harbour company website as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 M Madigan

Hi

I might be able to help. Phone me at Dun laoghaire Harbour Company.

01-2801018:)

Margaret Madigan

Advertisement