Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hybrid/Electric Cars: Look AWFUL!

• 24-03-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I like the idea of hybrid and electric cars (aside from the whole 'they actually do more damage to the environment to make' bit), but why is it they all look boring, bland and generally rubbish?

The Prius (Original model especially), the Honda Insight, that New Nissan Leaf, all examples of how dull-looking these cars can get. I know that they have to make them as aerodynamic as possible which requires some cosmetic changes but if Audi can make the E-Tron, and Honda the CR-Z, why do all the other mainstream hybrids have to look so damn dull?

Rant over... now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think the current model Prius looks well, saw one during the week in white a colour im not a particular fan of and thought it looked really well. Id say until batteries get lighter and capable of better perforance the design process of the exteriors will be limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i always thought it was so people would know you were driving one.
    and you could therefore feel proud that everyone else would see that you were better than them.
    similalry it was showing that the owner wasnt actually interested in cars, but just had one out of neccessity.
    its the whole "smug factor" part of the green movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I had to laugh when I read recently about the guy in the UK who was (proudly) on his 3rd Prius having traded in his previous gen ones cos the next gen ones were more economical! Way ta go with saving the planet:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I have to agree. Standard cars face limitations in their design because of the components they contain. Engines, gearboxes, driveshafts etc are pretty fixed in terms of size and shape, and there's a limited number of configurations they can reasonably be installed in. Given that batteries can be pretty much any shape and electric motors can be built into the wheel hubs, pure EV designers should have a lot more freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

subway wrote: »
    i always thought it was so people would know you were driving one.
    Which stands out more - a Prius or an 3-series? If the answer is a Prius, BMW are clearly out-blanding Toyota.

• Advertisement

i didnt say awful means bland, that was the OP
    the original prius doesnt just look bland, it had those semi coverd rear wheels and odd looking rear end, later cars echoed that design without cloning it.
    the fact that it "looks like a prius" or "looks like an electric car" is a common sentiment i would hear.

im purposely ignoring the nissan as i have never seen it and am afraid to google it in case i fall asleep at the keyboard (i presume its some sort of tiida/primera/note inbred looking thing)

the original prius ... had those semi coverd rear wheels
    prius.jpg
    im purposely ignoring the nissan as i have never seen it

Hmmm. Sweeping statements when you obviously don't know what you're talking about!

jesus, what car am i thinking of then? i could have sworn the prius had funny looking rear wheels arches.

i do stand by my opinion that these types of cars are purposely styled in a certain way to draw attention to the fact that they are not cars for car lovers.
    newer cars with hybrid features are buying into the fact that "green" is the in thing, where as a few years ago, when prius was launched it was not nearly as big a marketing tool as it is now

JHMEG wrote: »
    Hmmm. Sweeping statements when you obviously don't know what you're talking about!

ok, fair point. so i had a look at the leaf online and i was about spot on with my descritpion i would say. nissan cars arent attractive imo, and the leaf is the same. whether its becuase its a nissan or a hybrid EV is another thing. (Z cars exlcuded generally :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Bit of an obscure one but I think the tesla looks great also the honda hyrodgen car think it's the FCX looks good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Lots knock this on the head right now, can anyone say that the Tesla S is anything other than a great looking car......

TeslaS.jpg

Anyone.........

I don't think any of them look bad with the exceptions of the Mk1 Prius, and the G-wiz both of which are ugly, esp the latter.

Nissan Leaf looks like a Note, only better.

Civic Hybrid is the same body as the 222bhp JDM Type-R, Volt looks like an electric muscle car and goes like one too, LS600h-L is good enough for royalty. CR-Z looks like a modern remake of the CRX, FCX is futuristic, Tesla roadster is as nice as a Lotus, and Prius III is sharp enough looking with a lovely cockpit.

Plenty there to like. And I didn't mention the lovely car above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The car with the half covered rear wheels was the Honda Insight mk1. Honda then came up with the Civic hybrid which looked like a normal car. They then realised that hybrid drivers do not want something that looks like a normal car. They want something that they can be identified in as saving the planet, hence Insight Mk2.

jesus, what car am i thinking of then? i could have sworn the prius had funny looking rear wheels arches.
    Probably not the first car to have them but they popularised by the Citroen DS

27-citroen-ds.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DLohan

gears wrote: »
    Lots knock this on the head right now, can anyone say that the Tesla S is anything other than a great looking car......

TeslaS.jpg

Anyone.........

How much does something like that cost? Ballpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

i do stand by my opinion that these types of cars are purposely styled in a certain way to draw attention to the fact that they are not cars for car lovers.
    newer cars with hybrid features are buying into the fact that "green" is the in thing, where as a few years ago, when prius was launched it was not nearly as big a marketing tool as it is now

You're thinking of the original Honda Insight from the 90's which was a tiny coupe with closed in rear wheels and a pronounced "teardrop" shape body. It had a 1ltr petrol engine and an electric motor to assist.
    Sweet little car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nothing wrong with a GS 450h lexus. 3.5 V6 petrol + electric motor = 340 bhp.
    0 to 60 mph in mid 5 seconds, even more impressive 0 to 100 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

As mentioned the Honda CRZ:

Honda-CR-11310101125185441600x1060.jpg

Honda-CR-11310101125203721600x1060.jpg

Honda-CR-1131010249392811600x1060.jpg

Honda-CR-1131010249431561600x1060.jpg

Happy days - I went through two CRXes.

Quiet a nice spec - not such a slouch for a hybrid? BUT not a car for Daddies / Mummies with families id say ..

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Honda-CR-Z-1.5-i-VTEC-GT/248133/

The price quoted in that article is for the higher GT Model £19,999, the S Model is £16999 and the Sport is £17999:

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/cr-z/

No prices here in Ireland yet ... add a zillion euro to above I expect!

THE CRZ IS OUT IN THE UK THIS JUNE, maybe here soon after?

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Of the mainstream ones I actually like the Civic Hybrid a lot, the new shape looks great.

But if you're into looks and lux then what's wrong with Venturi Fetish or Tesla?

2006-venturi-fetish_460x0w.jpg

and for small city cars the XD sounds just about perfect, 250km range and 7.7s 0-60 http://xdconcept.com/

There's plenty happening in the Hybrid/electric world, unfortunately a lot of it are concept cars or small-volume production cars.

Dodge Circuit is a great looking car, assuming that Dodge actually make any instead of going belly-up.

Dodge_Circuit_EV_01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

DLohan wrote: »
    How much does something like that cost? Ballpark.

50 grand in the states. Available 2012

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I would say the original hybids were niche market cars so the people buying did not care what they looked like and as someone else suggested it made the cars stand out a little.

Advertisement