Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonnie Prince Billy - Whelans July

Options
  • 24-03-2010 10:26am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭

towards the end of the month apparently, tickets not on sale yet so no need to panic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yeah a lad was telling me this at the Silver Mt Zion gig last week. Searched everywhere but couldn't find any announcements about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Deadly, I'll be there. Hope its not announced too soon, I'll need a little time to save for tickets.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I found it on the off the record blog but it's from a hot press link

Whelans, Dublin
    28 & 29 Jul 2010, 19:30
    E29 - ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

I'll gladly pay 29 Euro to see Mr. Oldham!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Anyone else going to either of these gigs? I'm going on Thursday.
    Never seen Will Oldham live, really looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

I'm heading on Thursday, anyone know when show starts?
    Looking forward, hope he does some Palace Bros stuff also...

I'm heading along to see him tonight. Looking forward to it.

Well you're my friend... Enjoy this, he's a bit special.

When I got the ticket months ago, I think it said the doors opened at 19:30.
    Hopefully we can get a rundown on times etc and what songs he's playing from Jeff_Lebowski tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

I seen the setlist for the show last month in Lisbon and it's mainly the stuff from the albums BPB & The Cairo Gang have done together

I'm heading along to see him tonight. Looking forward to it.

Hey Jeff, how did you get on last night? What time were they on stage at?

Support band - Trembling Bells came on somewhere between 8.15 and 8.30

Bonnie Prince Billy & The Cairo Gang came on about twenty past nine I think.

I'm terrible at keeping an eye on the time.

Trembling Bells are worth getting in early for. And as it's going to be completely wedged in there tonight I'd recommend getting in to get a decent spot too.

Bonnie (as he was referring to himself last night) was in super form - cracked a joke about Christy Moore - he seemed to be having great fun and sounding fantastic. He was cracking jokes and the whole band were excellent. Emmett Kelly is a great guitar player. Brilliant gig.

Setlist was mostly from the past few albums with I See a Darkness in the middle for good measure.

Thanks for that Jeff. Really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 numbersix99

Really good show from BPB, especially considering I wasn't a huge fan of Beware and have yet to properly get into Wonder Show. But the live version of his songs were exceptional. Will was indeed relaxed and there was some nice banter with the crowd when the guitarist asked why Queen Mary (or Elisabeth?) had all of the harps in Ireland destroyed.

It was great to hear I See A Darkness, his Freebird, played, and there was one or two from the Letting Go as well. Really great gig. Was up at the front and he tends to star at people near the front which is a bit unnerving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭palethinboy

nice one, can't wait for tonight!!!!!! I've never seen him live before so it should be a real treat!

Any Palace Brothers stuff...would love to hear Ohio River Boat Song live....first introduction was through No Disco....DD played that one constantly :)

Tree Scape wrote: »
    Any Palace Brothers stuff...would love to hear Ohio River Boat Song live....first introduction was through No Disco....DD played that one constantly :)

There was no Palace Brothers, Palace Music or Palace stuff played that I remember so don't get your hopes up. Although he has such an extensive back catalogue I could be wrong - hard to remember which songs are Bonnie Prince and which are Palace sometimes.

I love Will Oldham's version of Ohio River Boat Song but....... I'll just leave this here......

There was no Palace Brothers, Palace Music or Palace stuff played that I remember so don't get your hopes up. Although he has such an extensive back catalogue I could be wrong - hard to remember which songs are Bonnie Prince and which are Palace sometimes.

I love Will Oldham's version of Ohio River Boat Song but....... I'll just leave this here......

Wow, that's pretty electric, and you'll have to forgive my ignorance in not knowing it was a re-working of a traditional scottish song....fantastic stuff from Liam.

Well last night was a blast, nearly all of The Wonder Show, don't think they left anything off from that album. recognised one or two from BPB albums but nothing from Palace Bros....not saying he didn't though...

Played the The Price of Love by Everly Brothers in encore.....and i think they then did a medly of a laod of different songs before going back into The Price of Love....

Finished with Kids off the new album

He jumped down into crowd and went to back to sign stuff after the gig...seemed in great form, someone kept throwing confetti-hearts at him from the crowd, thought it was a bit of a liberty and don't think he appreciated it by the third or fourth time they did it...

Great gig though, hats off to Mr.Oldham

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DustyBottoms

So I echo other posters:

Last night's gig was brilliant, anyone thinking about going to see him in Galway or Skibbereen shouldn't hesitate.

New stuff really suits live performance; Emmett Kelly on guitar - excellent - would go to him on his own. Two of the support band, Trembling Bells, join the band for the entire set to tremendous effect.

Set list (not comprehensive but more or less):
    • All of new album in random order - starting with "That's What Our Love Is"
    • Main set ends with "Go Folks, Go"
    • Non new album songs included "Heart's Arms / Beware" & "Easy Does It / Lie Down in the Light"
    • Encore included a Medley of "The Price of Love (Everly bros. cover), (Keep an Eye On) Other's Gain, Madeline Mary, May it Always Be."
    • Ended the Encore with "Kids"
    No "I See a Darkness" but he played it on Wed, so may rear its head again.

Thanks for your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

Last night, he sang a song with a chorus along lines of "Sing only when you are stoned". Sounded like a cover - can anybody shed a light?

Just to echo what other said here, really great gig. Whole band were really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bread

Yes yes, excellent gig last night...just loved him and all of the tunes. The guy with the love hearts went too far!!

bread wrote: »
    Yes yes, excellent gig last night...just loved him and all of the tunes. The guy with the love hearts went too far!!

There's always those sort of attention seeking idiots at gigs. They're extremely irritating.

Although having said that Wednesday night was pretty good for not too many camera phones and loud talkers I thought. There was that annoying photographer dude who always insists on pushing up past people and blocking their way but besides him it was fine.

Advertisement