Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night out- Thurles?

Options
  • 24-03-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Ill be down in thurles for a night in may, a sat night, theres a few of us and we were wondering wheres good to go?
    We are late 20's early 30's and like a busy pub and maybe a night club/disco bar.
    I came across HQ Nightclub online, is this any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

HQ is brilliant if you don't want kids running everywhere. It's very upmarket as you will see for yourself. They've got a few different bars to cater for different musical tastes. It's a really nice place to spend the night.

Stay away from Hayes's because no matter how young you are, you will feel ancient due to all the 12 year olds getting in there. The bouncers here are pig ignorant too.

The Castle Tavern at the bottom of the square is probably the best pub in the town. The County is good too but is ALWAYS packed and everyone is squashed in as it's a long(ish), narrow place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thanks so much for you reply, HQ it is so:)

It looks good from their website and has a few diff bars etc in it so that looks cool. Will be there the bank hol weekend at start of may so hopefully there will be a good crowd there.

Our B & B is near it i think (Twin Oaks) so be handy for getting in and out.

What are taxis like? Are they easy to get if we need one?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

HQ is brilliant if you don't want kids running everywhere. It's very upmarket as you will see for yourself. They've got a few different bars to cater for different musical tastes. It's a really nice place to spend the night.

Stay away from Hayes's because no matter how young you are, you will feel ancient due to all the 12 year olds getting in there. The bouncers here are pig ignorant too.

The Castle Tavern at the bottom of the square is probably the best pub in the town. The County is good too but is ALWAYS packed and everyone is squashed in as it's a long(ish), narrow place.

Ah the castle was my local when growing up and when home in the 90's [god i'm old] Was one of the first punters Kieran had when he first took over . it was lease out the last time i was home .Bit of a change from the old days,

In the old days we had great nights around the pheasant island pool tournament , Also remember we use to put the change for the fag machine on the wall , the hole place would be covered by the end off the year ,cash when to local special needs school .
    or the night of the Italia 90 peno shoot out we recreated the peno shoot out on the pool table using the white ball and a cue [Kieran was in goals]:eek::D

Good Times :D

andreac wrote: »
    Thanks so much for you reply, HQ it is so:)

It looks good from their website and has a few diff bars etc in it so that looks cool. Will be there the bank hol weekend at start of may so hopefully there will be a good crowd there.

Our B & B is near it i think (Twin Oaks) so be handy for getting in and out.

What are taxis like? Are they easy to get if we need one?

Thanks again.

Yeah it's a cool place. You'll enjoy it!

Twin Oaks is a 2 minute walk from where i live :D

Yeah the taxis are grand. Just expect to be charged about €10 each way. Although it's not too far a walk even if you're not sober. I've done it plenty of times!
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Ah the castle was my local when growing up and when home in the 90's [god i'm old] Was one of the first punters Kieran had when he first took over . it was lease out the last time i was home .Bit of a change from the old days,

In the old days we had great nights around the pheasant island pool tournament , Also remember we use to put the change for the fag machine on the wall , the hole place would be covered by the end off the year ,cash when to local special needs school .
    or the night of the Italia 90 peno shoot out we recreated the peno shoot out on the pool table using the white ball and a cue [Kieran was in goals]:eek::D

Good Times :D

Hah can't say I have memories like that from the place! Then again I'm only 24 so haven't lived long enough :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah it's a cool place. You'll enjoy it!

Twin Oaks is a 2 minute walk from where i live :D

Yeah the taxis are grand. Just expect to be charged about €10 each way. Although it's not too far a walk even if you're not sober. I've done it plenty of times!

Oh deadly, so you think we could walk from twin oaks to HQ or even home maybe? Is the road ok to walk in, is there a path the whole way or would you be walking on main road?

Is it worth going into the town first for a drink and back to HQ or should we just go straight to HQ? iS HQ on the same road as Twin Oaks?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks again:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

from Thurles meself, Twin Oaks would be about a 20 minute walk from HQ, so you wouldn't be totally stuck if you couldn't get a taxi. Paths all the way

+ 1 on staying away from Hayes, seen plenty of scraps there in my time (even got a smack myself once but that was partly my own fault :D

The Arch bar in Liberty Square is a decent spot too, just 50 yards from HQ
    Oh deadly, so you think we could walk from twin oaks to HQ or even home maybe? Is the road ok to walk in, is there a path the whole way or would you be walking on main road?

Is it worth going into the town first for a drink and back to HQ or should we just go straight to HQ? iS HQ on the same road as Twin Oaks?

Yeah of course ye could! It's as safe as houses to walk that road. Never any trouble from anyone. There's paths either side of the road but the one on the same side as Twin Oaks is a lot better.

You should go to as many pubs as you can before going to HQ. No point in coming to Thurles if you're gonna stay in the one place all night! As mikey said, the Arch Bar is a nice spot too.

Aswell as staying away from Hayes's, be careful if you're going for "food" in Supermacs. A lot of scum hang around outside once the clubs are closed looking for trouble. Just stay together and look after each other ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Yeah several good pubs for your age group :

Noel Ryans is a nice spot.
    Arch Bar and the Castle Inn are fine. As is the County Bar.

Couple of others that I could recommend for a pint or two are : De Burca's and Skeahan's : older crowd but both serve excellent Guinness.

HQ really is the only option in Thurles in terms of a nightclub.
    Hayes Hotel is extrememly rough (both the crowd and the door staff).

hinault wrote: »
    Hayes Hotel is extrememly rough (both the crowd and the door staff).

Crowd = drunk, violent, whinging kids

Door staff = ignorant pricks on power trips

:D

Advertisement