Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bbc1 tonight 'man who cycled the americas'

• 24-03-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Part one was on last night.

See part two tonight..

More info here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Nuts, missed this and stupid iplayer doesn't work outside of the UK.

Just saw that the World Track Cycling Champs are on BBC2 at 7pm tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Scien wrote: »
    Part 2 and 3 are on tues 30th and 6th I'm sure. Not tonight.

Great programme so far.. Would love to have the non responsibility and cash to do anything as remotely interesting and adventurous as that.

(Not to mention physical and mental stamina!!)

I haven't looked at the links but unless you're tied to where you are now through marraige then what really stops you :) You can live basically on $15 a day in South America, save up for a bit and go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Same here grrr...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You probably won't get the bandwidth needed to watch Iplayer but you can get a UK proxy IP address (just google free UK proxy) and put that into your internet options (in FF it's tools, advanced and settings)and fool iplayer into thinking you're in the UK and hey presto, problem solved. If the bandwidth isn't sufficient you can also pay a small fee to get a better proxy address which should allow you to watch the program.

It all depends on how desperately you wanna watch it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I thought it was great but i dont know how the hell youd get around the loneliness a 4-5 hour training spin on my own kills me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

..........and coincidentally, I bought his book, "The Man Who Cycled The World" last week. Half way through it, good read.
    He was on BBC TV news there a few mornings ago also.

Problem is that now, I want to cycle around the coast of Ireland. Pricing Ortleib panniers etc. Lookin' bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Scien wrote: »
    Part 2 and 3 are on tues 30th and 6th I'm sure. Not tonight.

Great programme so far.. Would love to have the non responsibility and cash to do anything as remotely interesting and adventurous as that.

(Not to mention physical and mental stamina!!)

Ya sorry just checked it's not on tonight..must be next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

The next episode of this is this evening @ 11.05 on BBC1 NI.

From Radio Times:

Central America

In the second part of his odyssey, Mark Beaumont crosses into northern Mexico, a region notorious for drugs-related killings and kidnappings. In Zacatecas, he's just in time for the Mexican Independence Day celebrations. Pushing on through Guatemala and El Salvador, Mark hits the wet season and what seems like a dead end in El Salvador. Neighbouring Honduras is under military lockdown and the ferry to Panama has sunk, but he makes a dash through Honduras with the bike in the back of a truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

And "The Flying Scotsman" is on after it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Ah the joys of having a UK proxy server. Watching it now.

BBC1 at 10:35pm, not 11:05pm. At least that is what BBC and SKY are saying.

BBC1 at 10:35pm, not 11:05pm. At least that is what BBC and SKY are saying.

You're right (of course).

I think BBC1 NI is 11.05, and (at least some) other BBC1s are 10.35.

serendip wrote: »
    You're right (of course).

I think BBC1 NI is 11.05, and (at least some) other BBC1s are 10.35.

I think I'm actually wrong, online I was getting 10:35 which as you say is for the regular BBC1. It's 11:05 if you are living in Ireland and receive BBC NI, which I would imagine most people here do. Sorry! :o

Just watched this (recorded from yesterday evening).

So, he lost both his bottom bracket and his head set in this episode. After, perhaps, 8 or 10K KM. That's equivalent in distance to, perhaps, about two years' of commuting (for me).

Is that reasonable? I know some of the terrain in Alaska was rough, and some of the weather in Central America was relentless ... but I still would've expected more from a purpose built touring bike.

His hub gears're still working, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

serendip wrote: »
    Just watched this (recorded from yesterday evening).

So, he lost both his bottom bracket and his head set in this episode. After, perhaps, 8 or 10K KM. That's equivalent in distance to, perhaps, about two years' of commuting (for me).

Is that reasonable? I know some of the terrain in Alaska was rough, and some of the weather in Central America was relentless ... but I still would've expected more from a purpose built touring bike.

His hub gears're still working, though.

IIRC, the commentary suggested that the bottom bracket would only be expected to do 1,800km!

DFD*

*DishFishingDude

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I have a touring bike and i had to replace the bottom bracket on it last week, i have done about 10,000Km since i got the bike about a year ago, so i presume that is normal, but i could be wrong.

The commentary also kept calling it a pedal bearing so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

Really excellent so far, I just wish they would have let him show more of his first trip, they seemed to cut an awful lot out to make it fit into the short segments they aired.

I can't believe how he does it all himself, I mean the images, his own commentary, day in, day out and without any camera crew (bar two occasions), it really is impressive. I would like to see him try some Palin-esque travels after his cycles, maybe do some extreme sports that he likes, but he definitely has a talent for this kind of thing and with a proper camera crew and not being wrecked all the time, he could produce some excellent television.

Advertisement