Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kilkenny paper

Options
  • 24-03-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard anything about a new Kilkenny paper 'The Kilkenny Reporter'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

First I've heard of it! I don't think theres much of a market in Kilkenny for a another paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I heard there's a few retired ex KP involved, haven't a scooby what it's about after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Gonna be a free paper, apparently. The brainchild of the Kilkenny Alive people - ie Jimmy Rhatigan and Sean Hurley.

The news will be welcomed by everyone. I mean, how have we managed to survive without our regular diet of "Right On Rhatigan" since the Voice popped its clogs?

A great day for Kilkenny - and for journalism - beckons! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

can't really see it surviving if the voice didn't but good luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I'm an Advertiser man anyway. Through the door every friday, regular as clockwork and after your 20 minutes on the bowl browsing for the hot girls you have free firelighters for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I get all my local news here on boards. If it ain't on boards it really can't be worth putting onto paper. Since I got my new phone (which I'm using now) I don't bother with newspapers as I can take this into the jacksie with me anyway :D I do wish Jimmy Rhatigan well though as he is a very nice man.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

I get all my local news here on boards. If it ain't on boards it really can't be worth putting onto paper. Since I got my new phone (which I'm using now) I don't bother with newspapers as I can take this into the jacksie with me anyway :D I do wish Jimmy Rhatigan well though as he is a very nice man.

Hence the worldwide demise of the print media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I can't see this having much success......no need for a second (even third) paper.

pueblo wrote: »
    Hence the worldwide demise of the print media.
    that and print media usually only offers one line of opinion,online you get to read the comments under it and different opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

you saw what happened to the voice . . .couldnt even survive as a free paper . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

you saw what happened to the voice . . .couldnt even survive as a free paper . . .

And is this one free? And what about that woeful magazine Kat's Eye? Is that still going? The layout is dire and the content worse.
    I wish the Kilkenny Reporter well, but I live down the South of the county and it won't get that far anyway.
    The KP is so useless now, reprinting press releases and such, that another player on the field is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Jimmy Rhatigan needs somewhere to write his weekly columns about dogs who drink pints and batty old women who lived near him when he was a wee lad.

This is the only purpose this new paper will be designed for.

Heh, yeah.

Threadhead wrote: »
    Jimmy Rhatigan needs somewhere to write his weekly columns about dogs who drink pints and batty old women who lived near him when he was a wee lad.

This is the only purpose this new paper will be designed for.

Harsh! But oh so true... :D

And what about Mrs Murphy's knickers? Wasn't that some of the codology that he engaged in too?
    Load of ****e, but those auld lads have a lot of newpaper experience behind them too.

And what about Mrs Murphy's knickers? Wasn't that some of the codology that he engaged in too?
    Load of ****e, but those auld lads have a lot of newpaper experience behind them too.

Well remembered! But it's also the same "lot of newspaper experience" that led to an infamous front page story that the Kilkenny Voice never recovered from...

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Well remembered! But it's also the same "lot of newspaper experience" that led to an infamous front page story that the Kilkenny Voice never recovered from...
    what front page??

God yeah, I remember that episode, people were boycotting it and all.

What was it about again?

Purry Cat wrote: »

Absolutely. Experience, of course, does not necessarily imply intelligence or the ability to judge a readership. People are not interested in the codology (who ever read that column really?) and are much more principled than anyone who ever worked for the Voice gave them credit for.
    I meant that they get the stories and have loads of contacts. What they do with that is another thing. When is it coming out?

The next time a dog drinks a pint, Richie Kavanagh has a gig in Kilkenny or The Sceilp Inn has a table quiz, this new paper will appear on shelves, as if out of thin air.

• Advertisement

fabbydabby wrote: »
    God yeah, I remember that episode, people were boycotting it and all.

What was it about again?

Some guy committed suicide after apparently carrying out a really violent sexual assault on a girl up the Castle Road one night. The Voice not only led with the story on the front page, they put a massive pic of yer man with it - the same pic his family had given them for a death notice!

Classy, eh?

****in hell, classy

Some guy committed suicide after apparently carrying out a really violent sexual assault on a girl up the Castle Road one night. The Voice not only led with the story on the front page, they put a massive pic of yer man with it - the same pic his family had given them for a death notice!

Oh I remember that now. Raze his the nail on the head with his appraisal.
    The next time a dog drinks a pint, Richie Kavanagh has a gig in Kilkenny or The Sceilp Inn has a table quiz, this new paper will appear on shelves, as if out of thin air.
    Doesn't Jimmy Rhatigan teach journalism classes or something?

Hmmm, I can't find anything online about that, but i DID find this:

Picture%201.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

"Exactly what a woman was doing driving a car is as of yet, unkown" :eek:

I know JR is a nice guy but writting that sort of thing can get you into deep soup. I think he has a website at the moment (kilkenny alive?) for those who miss him.

There's absolutely no need to have the people, advertiser, kats eyes (or what ever it's called) plus online media. We only have 30,000 odd in the city and <100,000 in the county. Out of curiosity, how many people here buy the people?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'd buy the People pretty much every week, despite the absolute disgrace that is that paper's editor Sean Keane (I had heard from a very reliable source that he was behind a very unpleasant front page picture published in 2008 but I've been since been PM'd that he may not have been full time editor at the time so I'll reserve vitriol). It's like having Senator Joseph McCarthy in charge of our local paper (scaremonger! lie! gossip!) Hell, he's even given himself an 'alter ego' called 'The Insider' for his glorified gossip column. Despite the rag like levels he tries to stoop to on a weekly basis there remains some fine journalists doing good work there, particularly Tess Felder and Katharine Blake.

The Advertiser comes in the post every Friday and it's grand for a read with a cup of tea. John Cleere's column is always quality.

I stopped reading Kilkenny Alive when they stopped making an effort. Obviously the whole 'tinterweb' thing didn't work too well for Jimmy and Sean.

But no, we definitely do not need a new paper in Kilkenny.

Fair play to fabbydabby for dragging up a classic dog drinking a pint article from Jimmy Rhatigan. However, I have to stress, this was not a one off article. On a monthly basis (or so it seemed) Jimmy Rhatigan would have full page columns about dogs drinking pints. It's like he spent his day looking for the things. As long as dogs drink pints, Jimmy Rhatigan will write about them.

Yeah Cleere Thinking is usually worth a read alright.

By the way, just in case people (Captain Havoc) get the wrong idea, that article screenshot was an hilarious gag on my part for the day that's in it.

Here's the original:

http://www.kilkennyalive.com/story/lost-dog-has-just-been-found

Top stuff!

What got me was that the dog in question wasn't drinking a pint. He's still a cutie though.

• Advertisement

Threadhead wrote: »
    I'd buy the People pretty much every week, despite the absolute disgrace that is that paper's editor Sean Keane (he responsible for the corpse on the cover disgrace from 2008, much worse in my opinion, than the aforementioned Kilkenny Voice scandal, bad as that was). It's like having Senator Joseph McCarthy in charge of our local paper (scaremonger! lie! gossip!) Hell, he's even given himself an 'alter ego' called 'The Insider' for his glorified gossip column. Despite the rag like levels he tries to stoop to on a weekly basis there remains some fine journalists doing good work there, particularly Tess Felder and Katharine Blake.

Correction, Threadhead! The editor of the People is not the one and only Sean Keane, whose career guidance teacher has much to answer for (and correct about that awful Insider column of his, in which he even mentions Sean Keane from time to time), but Brian Keyes. And the editor before that was Tom Molloy, now a business hack with the Indo, who was the man responsible for that pic of the corpse on the front page.

But you're right, Tess Felder isn't bad, even if Katharine Blake cannot write a profile to save her life. And yep, I like John Cleere in the Advertiser too!

Advertisement