Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone got any ideas on what I can buy my grandmother for her 80th birthday??

Options
  • 24-03-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Has anyone got any ideas on what I can buy my grandmother for her 80th birthday?? Would really appreciate some help, at her age she kinda has everything she needs, jewellery no good as she has lots and doesnt really use it anymore. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

You could try get all your cousins, aunts and uncles together for a family picture.
    and pop it in a nice frame.
    Or bring her out for lunch or something.

People that have everything can be impossible to buy for good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Maybe a cliche but how about taking photos from throughout her life and collaborating them all into one frame ? Photos of brothers/sisters/parents/husband/children/grandchildren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 poppylily

There seems to be a running theme here with photos but i had the same problem with my nana when she turned 80. I went to a wonderful shop on the quays in dublin. just past the four courts heading towards town. They sell old black and white photos. I got one dated the year my nana was born of the village she grew up in. THe selection is huge and you could get loads of ideas. Also could get pic of the church she got married in.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

The Irish Times do a great gift. The front page of the newspaper the day and year you were born. They frame it really nicely aswell. Got one for my father last year and he LOVED it! Think they work out at around 90quid or something so if its too costly, maybe you could go halves with someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

Something else which makes a lovely gift is an antique map. I love maps ( I think most people seem to also) and to give a framed antique map is really an unusual and special gift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

you can now get the 1911 census records online, you can actually get copies of teh handwritten forms, you could track her families one and print it off and frame it

i did this for my parents, its actually kind of emotional to think you're looking at teh handwriting of your ancestors and the records of the family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

fend wrote: »
    The Irish Times do a great gift. The front page of the newspaper the day and year you were born. They frame it really nicely aswell. Got one for my father last year and he LOVED it! Think they work out at around 90quid or something so if its too costly, maybe you could go halves with someone?

http://www.memorablemoments.ie

They do the newspaper of the day you were born.

I would recommend the Birthday book, really nice, You can get a nice message put on the cover aswell like, If you send them a picture of your gran aswell they can print it off and put it in with the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

sam34 wrote: »
    you can now get the 1911 census records online, you can actually get copies of teh handwritten forms, you could track her families one and print it off and frame it

i did this for my parents, its actually kind of emotional to think you're looking at teh handwriting of your ancestors and the records of the family

a place in dublin called www.eneclann.ie have the census on disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Check to see if she has a really good pair of gloves like the ones you get in Brown Thomas from about €50. Or if she has a good black pair, maybe a brown pair? The leather on those gloves is so soft and they seem to be popular with older and younger women alike.

Advertisement