Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband

• 24-03-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Notice in todays Irish Times, p.25 Application to High Court to wind up Ice Communicications Ltd. Google search confirms this co trades as Ice Broadband.
    As a subscriber for the past few years, the service is poor at times but I cannot get Broadband by phone line in my area. Is this the end of Ice Broadband. Any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Could be something to do with the fact someone has bought them in the past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Thanks for this info. and links. however the notice in Irish Times refers to an applicication from Revenue to have the Co wound up, and is to be heard in High Court in April. The reference to Ildana refers to a case in 2007 which was settled. Watch this space I think if Revenue are seeking a wind up there is trouble ahead, unless like Cork City FC they can stall by paying before the Court date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Could be something to do with the fact someone has bought them in the past few weeks.
    They have? Any idea who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

My info on what happened here is
    - Ice have been tal=king money from their customers for years and hardly ever actually fixing any issues that come up.

- They have been fobbing off customers with lies so that they would just go away and keep paying, even if they were not getting the service they paid for.

- The company was staffed to an absolute minimum required to fool customers into keeping up payments, nut not to actually improve their services.

- Ice specifically chose areas wheer there was not a hope of competition, forcing customers to stay with them for (any kind of broadband at all)

- The directors paid themselves very high wages, while the company declared a loss.

- COMREG let Ice get away with this for YEARS.

- Digiweb are now ready to piounce and take over Ice's high sites. So there is hope for Ice customers yet. Your Ice broadband misery may be over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/news/10-03-24/Petition_to_Wind_Up_Ice_Communications_Limited.aspx

Case to be held on the 12th of April. Nothing will be known for sure until this is heard in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/collector-general-to-seek-winding-up-of-ice-communications-2110743.html
    Collector General to seek winding up of Ice Communications

By Laura Noonan
    Thursday March 25 2010

THE taxman is trying to wind up the broadband company that was set up by the daughter of former FAI boss Fran Rooney.

The Collector General will ask the High Court to hear the petition against Yvonne Rooney's Ice Communications on April 12.

The company, which trades as Ice Broadband, was set up in 2003 and claims to be a "leading supplier of wireless broadband within the Irish marketplace".

Ms Rooney yesterday failed to respond to repeated queries on the petition, while staff at Ice Communications said they "couldn't comment". A spokesman for the Revenue Commissioners also declined to comment.

The Collector General typically pursues winding-up petitions against companies that fail to pay their tax bills and has repeatedly insisted that court actions are only taken as a "last resort".

The most recent accounts filed by Ice Communications show losses of €3.8m had been racked up by the end of 2007. The company's bank borrowings were covered by a letter of guarantee from Fran Rooney.

Separate Companies Office documents show Danske Bank registered a charge against Ice Communications in November 2008, while Bank of Ireland registered six separate charges in 2007.

- Laura Noonan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

crawler wrote: »
    They have? Any idea who?
    No idea, there was consultants visiting all their sites on behalf of another company a few weeks ago in an effort to value them. I had been talking to them on one site, that is how I know.

On another note, a friend of mine from Mullingar rang me about this. He has Ice and rang them up to see what he should do. He has a wood turning business and can not do without broadband. Sales told him to cancel his direct debit, send in a letter to cancel the service and try out the mobile options. The guy in sales was very pissed off and said management had told them nothing either. All they had to go by was the newspaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Any updates on Digiweb supposedly purchasing ICE. While their service was poor, they still are the only provider in my area (apart from a certain individual outfit who i would not touch in a million years for privacy reasons). Hopefully someone will keep their transmission up as it would be like losing a limb at this stage.

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Any updates on Digiweb supposedly purchasing ICE. While their service was poor, they still are the only provider in my area (apart from a certain individual outfit who i would not touch in a million years for privacy reasons). Hopefully someone will keep their transmission up as it would be like losing a limb at this stage.

I dont think they will be purchasing the company. Just the rights to the high sites. So whereever you get ice now, you should get digiweb afterwards.

I called them for my mother, who has Ice, and the guy said that he couldnt officially say anything yet, but he'll call me when they take over the sites.

Im sure they wont be the only ones interested in the high sites though, so give them a call to see if they have any update next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Wouldn't think a buyout is on the cards, usually a bit of buzz about the other company in the office when we do one of them... there's something brewing, but not Ice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

So now its in recuevership, another notice in Irish times offers business for sale as a going concern. Interestingly states, skilled and dedicated workforce available.
    question, should customers cancel direct debits ??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I will be a very lonely voice, but I have to be fair and say that most of the time, for over 3 years, during the day, which is what a business needs, we got the service that was advertised in terms of speeds, and performance.

That said, when things did go wrong on occasions, getting it sorted was a nightmare, most of the time, I knew more about what was wrong than their supposed tech support people did!

In reality, from my point of view, they were no worse than Eircom (which is not saying much) and were the only way to get a broadband service in what should be a well covered area, between swords and ashbourne.

Hopefully, another company will pick it up and make it what it should have been, as the potential was there, but the management made sure that it could not deliver, if the number of changes of people I saw is anything to go by. Customer service did their best, with no real support from above, and too often, people with insufficient knowledge were put in places where they could not solve the problems.

If they are completely gone, there will be a lot of even more unhappy users!

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I will be a very lonely voice, but I have to be fair and say that most of the time, for over 3 years, during the day, which is what a business needs, we got the service that was advertised in terms of speeds, and performance.

That said, when things did go wrong on occasions, getting it sorted was a nightmare, most of the time, I knew more about what was wrong than their supposed tech support people did!

In reality, from my point of view, they were no worse than Eircom (which is not saying much) and were the only way to get a broadband service in what should be a well covered area, between swords and ashbourne.

Hopefully, another company will pick it up and make it what it should have been, as the potential was there, but the management made sure that it could not deliver, if the number of changes of people I saw is anything to go by. Customer service did their best, with no real support from above, and too often, people with insufficient knowledge were put in places where they could not solve the problems.

If they are completely gone, there will be a lot of even more unhappy users!

Steve

Yes it would be nice if someone made a business out of it instead of a shambles. Id like to see all new staff in there before I would go near them too. It might be the management that were the problem, but their engineers were useless because they couldnt provide ANY SORT OF DECENT service, sale staff were just liars and support was probably just the liars from sales answering another line.

Ive been out in my parents house when Ices engineers called to fix a problem. I didnt let on I knew what I was talking about to them. I met at least 3 of their engineers on 3 different occasions and they definitely didnt know their arse from their elbows.

I got a CV in from an ex Ice employee a while ago for a position I was interviewing for. The second I saw Ice Broadband on it I threw it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Am currently an Ice customer, and having received really bad service over the past 3 years decided to ring Digiweb yesterday on foot of the notice in the Irish times. The sales man told me that they had a meeting earlier that day about how they were going to contact all existing ice customers in areas where the service overlaps but mentioned nothing about a takeover(not that he would say i know) but id say anyone who has the ability to switch should do so. my problem is that i cannot get through to anyone at ice to talk about getting out of my contract/ cancelling my direct debit. I have tried to ring the past few days and have left messages, none of which have been replied to. Just wondering if any of you guys have been able to make contact with them recently and if so how???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Limerick

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/ICE-Broadband-trouble-could-leave.6198887.jp
    IT is estimated that over 1,000 customers in County Limerick could be left without broadband after the Revenue petitioned the High Court to wind up ICE Broadband which was launched in Limerick two years ago.

and
    Meanwhile, other service providers have been in contact with Limerick County Council, expressing an interest in using water towers for the same purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    I got a CV in from an ex Ice employee a while ago for a position I was interviewing for. The second I saw Ice Broadband on it I threw it in the bin.

A little harsh, no?

A little harsh, no?

Better safe than sorry. Anything to do with Ice was sub-standard. Including any of the staff that I ever met or spoken too.

trendy88 wrote: »
    Am currently an Ice customer, and having received really bad service over the past 3 years decided to ring Digiweb yesterday on foot of the notice in the Irish times. The sales man told me that they had a meeting earlier that day about how they were going to contact all existing ice customers in areas where the service overlaps but mentioned nothing about a takeover(not that he would say i know) but id say anyone who has the ability to switch should do so. my problem is that i cannot get through to anyone at ice to talk about getting out of my contract/ cancelling my direct debit. I have tried to ring the past few days and have left messages, none of which have been replied to. Just wondering if any of you guys have been able to make contact with them recently and if so how???

Just cancel your direct debit right away on the grounds that they wont even call you back. The bank has to cancel it for you now. Its the law.

Ice are to be would up, so who is going to chase you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 newfoodie2012

using service right now any idea when service will no longer be available in kildare area

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Was talking to someone who runs a computer shop in kildare, he was a sales rep for them and he said they will have to give at least 45 days notice before service stops

• Advertisement

need to reboot my lap top and dont have wep password will they reopen there phone lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PeopleAndLiars

Hi all,
    i am an ex-icebroadband staff member and i will be ready to reply to all your questions for what i can, but let me tell you immediately that if you are able to throw a cv away only because it is associated to the name of Ice Communications Ltd, well, you are doing a big mistake. My position in Ice wasn't extremely relevant but i could see how the things were really going. In the last 2 years we all worked hard to let Icebroadband survive against the incredibly , and continuosly, stupid decisions of the Ice Management. If you would read what is happening to Icebroadband in these days and something about its ex CEO, Fran Rooney, you would realize where the problems were in this company. I remember that till i was there, many times we were having arguments to fight FOR the rights of our customers because the managing director as all the rest of the management was absolutely ignoring everythhing. they didn't mind about our customers condition as well as ours. Did you know, for example, that they weren't providing water in the office? did you know that the helpdesk very often worked (fixed) tens of issues that every single day the management was creating? We all, i mean all the staff, risked a lot for you customers and we have always been faithful to all the people that were complaining for no technical faults. the management obliged us to lie and to tell you that the network was down while they were NOT ALLOWING the accounting to pay anything for their own interests. I am proud working for that company because i met people who were fighting for being honest and respectful to ALL iceboadband customers even if no condition persisted and you should reflect about this: not hiring an ex-ICE staff, you are giving another victory to that management that was imposing to us to lie to the customers rather than to admit that all these people worked hard with NO water, NO salary (last march has not been paid) NO paid overtimes(we were working much more than 8 hours every day),NO info about what was happening to the company. We are able now to manage issues and hard problems who very few people are able to manage in this country. Think people. Or write "Fran Rooney" on www.google.com . Do not kill the life of professionals for who doesn't pay the bill to the restaurant...

Have a good Easter :):):):):):):)

Ex IceBroadband Staff

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

What.....!

do you know how i can find out what the password is for my wireless there is no one answering the phones or returning calls from the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 theoneandonly19

Yes as the ex employee has said there has been no water in their office for up to six months, staff had to deal with situations with no back up or guidance from senior management. They have done their best to fix issues for customers with the insuffecient tools they had being provided from recyled equipment to Site owners not being paid and the plugs to the Base station being pulled when why areas have being down for months on end. Payment for march was not paid the staff they were told on wednesday that the company was gone into recivership and basically heres a letter for the social welfare and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

To be fair i wouldnt really blame the staff, its always at the top these issues start off but the staff are left to mop them up!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

trendy88 wrote: »
    Was talking to someone who runs a computer shop in kildare, he was a sales rep for them and he said they will have to give at least 45 days notice before service stops

There is nobody there to give any notice, bar Fran Rooney himself.

Comreg will have instructed Ice to provide an emergency service under Section 22 of the Communications Act 2010 . Comrge probably did not bother their holes knowing them so you should contact info@comreg.ie and ask for a copy of

"Any and all directions given to Ice Communications under section 22 of the communications regulation act 2010 and the date those directions were communicated to ICE and to its directors."

Here is the law on the matter
    22.—(1) The Commission may, in the case of the termination of
    an electronic communications service affecting a substantial number
    of users, issue an emergency direction to an undertaking—
    (a) providing wholesale access to the copper access network
    associated with the service, to reconnect the copper to
    the network in order to minimise disruption of service to
    those users and to provide access to emergency services,
    (b) providing wholesale access to carrier pre-selection and single
    billing wholesale line rental in the relevant market, to
    reconfigure the switching in respect of the wholesale
    service used directly or indirectly by another undertaking 35
    providing the retail service in order to minimise disruption
    to those users and to provide access to emergency
    services, or
    (c) that is directly or indirectly a wholesale provider of
    another undertaking that has caused the termination of
    the electronic communications service, whose network is
    necessary for the provision of an electronic communications
    service to users, to take whatever technical steps
    are required to provide a network connection in order to
    minimise disruption to those users and to provide access
    to emergency services,
    without first having to consult interested parties. The first-mentioned
    undertaking shall comply with the emergency direction issued to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 theawfultruth

The responsibility for what happened at Ice Broadband lies wholly and utterly with the Rooneys and their shambolic management.

Having said that Fran Ruiney has form in this regard:

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2004/11/04/story293859915.asp

The worst thing is the lack of respect for both staff and customers. Read the article and you get a picture of what Ice was like.

I just hope we no longer have to suffer his pontificating guff on the Marion Finucane show.

Everything the ex-staff member says true (my sources tell me :D).

Apparently, the company was basically abandoned by management since last year with staff having to field calls from creditors, customers and investors with no information from the top whatsoever. Rumours were flying about on the future of the company while management told staff everything was hunky dory.

Funny story I heard was how on one of the rare occasions that management was in the office they had to scab coffee off staff to give to whoever they were meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 theawfultruth

need to reboot my lap top and dont have wep password will they reopen there phone lines

Maybe Pm the ex-staff member?

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    i am an ex-icebroadband staff member and i will be ready to reply to all your questions for what i can, but let me tell you immediately that if you are able to throw a cv away only because it is associated to the name of Ice Communications Ltd, well, you are doing a big mistake. My position in Ice wasn't extremely relevant but i could see how the things were really going. In the last 2 years we all worked hard to let Icebroadband survive against the incredibly , and continuosly, stupid decisions of the Ice Management. If you would read what is happening to Icebroadband in these days and something about its ex CEO, Fran Rooney, you would realize where the problems were in this company. I remember that till i was there, many times we were having arguments to fight FOR the rights of our customers because the managing director as all the rest of the management was absolutely ignoring everythhing. they didn't mind about our customers condition as well as ours. Did you know, for example, that they weren't providing water in the office? did you know that the helpdesk very often worked (fixed) tens of issues that every single day the management was creating? We all, i mean all the staff, risked a lot for you customers and we have always been faithful to all the people that were complaining for no technical faults. the management obliged us to lie and to tell you that the network was down while they were NOT ALLOWING the accounting to pay anything for their own interests. I am proud working for that company because i met people who were fighting for being honest and respectful to ALL iceboadband customers even if no condition persisted and you should reflect about this: not hiring an ex-ICE staff, you are giving another victory to that management that was imposing to us to lie to the customers rather than to admit that all these people worked hard with NO water, NO salary (last march has not been paid) NO paid overtimes(we were working much more than 8 hours every day),NO info about what was happening to the company. We are able now to manage issues and hard problems who very few people are able to manage in this country. Think people. Or write "Fran Rooney" on www.google.com . Do not kill the life of professionals for who doesn't pay the bill to the restaurant...

Have a good Easter :):):):):):):)

Ex IceBroadband Staff

In fairness any IT worker who put up with those conditions without being able to find another job, must have have been bad. IT is not the wost hit sector so they should have moved on if they were any good. I can only assume the staff that stayed were only there because noone else would employ them. Most capable people would have found another job instead.

Advertisement