Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about adequate print size/dpi

• 24-03-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Ok reply in easy to understand non Jargon language plz!

Went to the official Canon CPS seminar/open day in The Clarence this morning and besides getting a free sensor clean of my Cam (3rd within 12 months!) there was a printing stand, I left in a picture for a free print but the guy said because the pic was only 4-5mb it wwasn't too suitable for the pro printer they were showing off etc
    Now when I start of with a pic from my 5D II in raw it is around 26mb, normal pictures with not too much cropping tend to be around 12mb, the picture that failed for me I assumed was cropped tight, I can't remember but...Is there a way for me to have more control so I don't end up with pictures under 10mb?
    I use Lightroom 3 btw.

You had to register for the 'open' day btw, I am on some mailing list that I know Paul Walsh and Leinsterman are on, besides the free sensor clean I got a goodie bag and a glass of milk and 2 small cakes. :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Paul and myself left before the goodie bags... :(

With regard to the your question I often wondered myself - The seminar would have been the place to ask it though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Didn't see you there, not that I know what you look like! The goodie bags are still there and when you go back for your Cameras ( I assume thats why you went?) they are just to the left b4 you go in.
    I was tempted to go for the flash thing at 12...but hell think I go for a pint instead, do you know what time the Cameras are ready at?
    I assume Paul has the 1Dmk 4 too....the day was geared towards that tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the guy said because the pic was only 4-5mb
    megabytes or megapixels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

a 4/5 Mb jpg would be enough to print an 18*12 inch print from no prob

if it was a tiff at 5 mb then it would be a much smaller image

But I would suggest that the guy doing the demo would be reading of a crib sheet of what was required rather than actually knowing, by the sounds of it

I have printed 40" prints from 10Mb jpgs, now they are not as good as if i had a 50Mb file, but you know what most people wouldnt know

its this kind of stuff that confuses photogs all the time, i wish the manufacturers would put people on stands who actually understand the stuff and have some practical knowledge and understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Balls, that's today! Totally forgot. Oh well, my 5D will have to wait until next time for a sensor clean :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

megabytes or megapixels?

mb is millibits, MB is megabytes. I don't know the correct form for
    megapixels, but MP is probably correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

hbr wrote: »
    mb is millibits, MB is megabytes. I don't know the correct form for
    megapixels, but MP is probably correct.

You mean megabits? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

not sure about lightroom 3, but are you saving them in jpeg and with the quality slider up at 100%? by default its at 60% i think and the files are a lot smaller than if you crank it up to full., thats going off experience with Lightroom 2 though, just a suggestion. :)

Advertisement