Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato Cakes

Options
  • 24-03-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So, the OH asked me to make some Potato Cakes for dinner this evening.

I have the spuds on to make the mash, and let them cool down, I have an onion chopped up into the boiling spuds which will be part of the mash.

How much flour do I need to use?

Do I need egg?

I'm going to lash some herbs into the mix too.

Anyone got any tips/ideas for ingredients?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i dont normally use egg but it might help them bind better but dunno if it works for potato cakes
    id use small amount of flour on board and hands to help shape them and squish them together.ive grilled them before as they hold theyre shape better than frying,also spring onions/scallions are lovely in them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made potato cakes for the first time last week and they were great. I mashed the potatoes with butter and let the mash cool down. You'd want the mash to be creamy but not too soft. I added 2oz of flour to 1lb of mash, and added chopped onion and plenty of salt and black pepper. I shaped them on a floured board into discs roughly the size of a burger, only a bit thicker.
    Then I fried them in butter in quite a hot pan until they were dark brown and crisp on each side and soft in the centre - delicious :)

Some people add chopped crispy bacon or tinned salmon to their potato cakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

that's what I'll do I think, no egg, and I think I'll add some herbs too.

Cheers.

Advertisement