Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best video card around the €150 mark?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That system is a load of poop, if you have a modern magnetic drive that score is always 5.9 and if you have a consumer-grade SSD its always 6.9 :rolleyes:

And remember to overvolt your GPU/memory in exactly the same way as you'd do for CPU/RAM: only as the next resort when you can't keep any further increase in speed stable at the current voltage! Don't max it straight off the bat! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Solitaire wrote: »
    That system is a load of poop, if you have a modern magnetic drive that score is always 5.9 and if you have a consumer-grade SSD its always 6.9 :rolleyes:

And remember to overvolt your GPU/memory in exactly the same way as you'd do for CPU/RAM: only as the next resort when you can't keep any further increase in speed stable at the current voltage! Don't max it straight off the bat! :o
    thanks for the tip, i probably would have just ramped it up all the way otherwise, i'm new to the whole OC'ing thing.

here's what I've gotten.

stock speeds are 850/1200 for core clock and memory at 1125mV and the best I managed to keep it stable was 980/1300 at 1299mV.

with the gpu any faster it wouldn't even make it through the benchmarks without crapping out and if i had the memory any higher i got artifacts even just on my desktop.

unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make much difference in the one game i'm playing right now (JC2, as you know :)) with less than a 2fps average increase on the black tower benchmark. :(

Stock:..................OC'd:
    th_stockbenchmark.jpg th_OCBenchmark.jpg

i guess i'm just doing something wrong or maybe just not testing it the right way? :confused:

i have a feeling this OC'ing lark is a lot more complicated to do properly than i thought it would be.

i was thinking of getting a better cooler for my i5 and OC'ing that a bit too, but i'm not sure if it would be worth it to me, i'm not having any performance issues so far really, so "if it's not broke don't fix it" might be the order of the day.

You have an 8% increase in memory speed and a 15% increase in GPU speed; not great by modern standards, looks like you were unlucky and got a fairly mediocre bin. If the base framerate for JC2 is 29fps the OCd result should be somewhere between 31.5 and 33.5fps, so I'm guessing 31fps is just within the margin of error if the game was horrendously bandwidth-limited (which would mean the crippled memory bus is preventing the GPU from running it at full tilt). Personally I'd avoid piling on the AA in tough new releases if running a HD5770 @ 1080p as it really puts the burn on your memory bandwidth, which is infamously **** on the HD57*0 series :(

This discussion isn't really in B&U's remit anymore :o If you want to continue this discussion (and please do! :)) I've copied the salient content over to a much more fitting location here.

If there's some kind of urgent need to add to this thread with matters B&U-related anyone can PM me and I'll restore access but otherwise I'm closing this one as the T&M-related content should really be posted in the aforementioned clone thread ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement