Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Irelands Greatest Person

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Who in the name of fcuk is Brendan Shine? Sounds like a serial killer!

Only Ireland's greatest showband performer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Where's Ian Paisley,Bono,Gerry Adams,Stephen Ireland, Bertie Ahern, and that big fat wan who's minister for health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Perhaps add Kevin Myers, make him feel a little better after finding that thread below...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Fago! wrote: »

Oh, I should have guessed it was something like that.....with you loving it and all! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What? No Brendan Kilkenny or Stephen Gately. Fack off

Can we vote for your ma

Oh, I should have guessed it was something like that.....with you loving it and all! :P

"Do ya want yer oul lobby washed down cloudshine, do ya want yer oul lobby washed down" - the only lyrics I know of any of his songs.

It's a song about lobby washing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

no way, sonny knowles all the way!

no way, sonny knowles all the way!

Sounds like a medical condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dunphy!!!!

Sounds like a medical condition.

that man carried derek davis and thelma mansfield through the blue rinse brigade that was live at 3. hasn't walked since.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I voted Robert Boyle, just because he's one of my ancestors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Christy Moore and U2 are there, but no Luke Kelly or Ronnie Drew?!

Not sure what countes mark...-whatever she's called-is doing there bar being a token female option. Sir Roger Casement achieved far more,not just for Ireland but his humanitarian work in the Congo. Wolfe Tone should have been there too. Interesting to see no De Valera and O' Connell without a vote. If you're talking about raw intelligence then it would have to be Collins and Wilde imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Eddie Murphy, end of story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

And the most important man of the past one thousand years of Irish history doesn't make an appearance on this list.

Does anybody even know who that person is? Do they even teach Irish history in Irish schools anymore?

I despair.

Gráinne Mhaol Ní Mháille will have to do until that person gets on the list.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    And the most important man of the past one thousand years of Irish history doesn't make an appearance on this list.

Does anybody even know who that person is? Do they even teach Irish history in Irish schools anymore?

I despair.

Jack Charlton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Not Kevin Myers

I'm surprised not to see Wolfe Tone on the list.

Xluna wrote: »
    Jack Charlton?

Batman?

Jack Charlton?

You have to try a lot harder there, Xluna. A list of the "greatest person" in Irish history without mentioning this person is like making a list of famous residents of the Vatican and omitting the Pope.

You'd get better Irish history lessons in the Hedge Schools of yore than you'd get in these National School things.

• Advertisement

Not sure what countes mark...-whatever she's called-is doing there bar being a token female option. Sir Roger Casement achieved far more,not just for Ireland but his humanitarian work in the Congo. Wolfe Tone should have been there too. Interesting to see no De Valera and O' Connell without a vote. If you're talking about raw intelligence then it would have to be Collins and Wilde imo.

O'Connell - now there, there - there's a person who is up there at the very top of Ireland's Worst Person list - even ahead of Níall Garbh, Owen Connolly, Thomas Reynolds and Leonard McNally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Co45 wrote: »
    You really want the man who abadoned his country on the world stage on the Ireland's Greatest Person list?

Piss off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

John Joe or Marty Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Christ Almighty have we all gone mad or what?:eek:
    this is obviously Irelands greatest person.

/end thread kthnxbi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I despair.

Dominic McGlinchey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

This thread fails..there's no mention of anaorexic-bono wannabe and serial junkie Christy Dignam.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Degsy wrote: »
    This thread fails..there's no mention of anaorexic-bono wannabe and serial junkie Christy Dignam.

Huh? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

What about George Berkeley!? If greatness is proportional to wikipedia page size, then he's great enough.

Ronnie O'Brien. Time man of the millennium.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Gus Corrigan.

You have to try a lot harder there, Xluna. A list of the "greatest person" in Irish history without mentioning this person is like making a list of famous residents of the Vatican and omitting the Pope.

You'd get better Irish history lessons in the Hedge Schools of yore than you'd get in these National School things.

O.K. I'm thinking(Meh "greatest" is so relative). Eriugena a.k.a Johannes Scottus?

• Advertisement

Facekicker!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

no james joyce :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

I despair.

Who ? Rebel Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Christy Brown.

no james joyce :(

Sh1t you're right! Author of the greatest novel of the past century and a bunch of crooners make the list ahead of him. Damn you OP! Bram Stoker deserves a mention too.

a bunch of crooners make the list ahead of him.

Hello, Who are the crooners ?

Winty wrote: »
    Hello, Who are the crooners ?

Van,Phil and Christy. Literture will always be held in higher regard than music,imo.

Van,Phil and Christy. Literture will always be held in higher regard than music,imo.

Van, Phil and Christy could never be called crooners, artists yes

Fair enough,poor choice of words on my part it must be said.

Author of the greatest novel of the past century and a bunch of crooners make the list ahead of him. Damn you OP! Bram Stoker deserves a mention too.

I have taken your comments onboard and asked The Zohan to make a change so you may get your wish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Boyle should win that hands down. Being The father of modern chemistry is no mean feat

Saganist wrote: »
    Boyle should win that hands down. Being The father of modern chemistry is no mean feat

Perhaps but was he not "Irish" in the same way Wellington was?

lugha wrote: »
    Perhaps but was he not "Irish" in the same way Wellington was?

He did'nt have much of a connection from what I heard. Oscar Wilde was Anglo Irish,yes,but he was an Irish nationalist at one stage.
    I'm still curious to hear what Rebel Hearts "forgotten great" is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Not Kevin Myers

He did'nt have much of a connection from what I heard. Oscar Wilde was Anglo Irish,yes,but he was an Irish nationalist at one stage.
    I'm still curious to hear what Rebel Hearts "forgotten great" is.

It's probably himself.

O.K. I'm thinking(Meh "greatest" is so relative). Eriugena a.k.a Johannes Scottus?
    Who ? Rebel Who?

Ah Jaysas, lads, Jaysas.

Right. This person's chief ally escaped out of Dublin Castle in the terrible snow of January 1592, having been kidnapped in 1587 as a 15-year-old by English crown agents dressed up as French wine merchants in Lough Swilly who invited this young Prince onboard to "taste the wine"; they wanted to prevent an alliance by removing him and starting an internal war for succession. Having escaped from Dublin Castle this ally walked hundreds of kilometres through the snow and was given sanctuary by Fiacha Mac Aodha Ó Broin in Glenmalure in the Wicklow mountains. He lost both his toes due to frostbite.

If you don't know who I'm talking about now you two must have been dossing down the back in National School while the rest of us were in tears at the tragedy which our young hero had to endure to free his country ....

He lost both his toes due to frostbite.
    He has only two toes? :confused:
    Is this one of these old Fianna stories rebel? Sounds a lot like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When U2 pay tax in Ireland they can be on the list

Which tax band was Brian Boru on, just as a matter of interest?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Ah Jaysas, lads, Jaysas.
    If you don't know who I'm talking about now you two must have been dossing down the back in National School while the rest of us were in tears at the tragedy which our young hero had to endure to free his country ....

Shocking stuff altogether. Poor ol' Hugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Which tax band was Brian Boru on, just as a matter of interest?:confused:

LOL. He didn't have a PRSI number either. Nor did he fly around the world on dem flying machine thingies.

• Advertisement

lugha wrote: »
    Is this one of these old Fianna stories rebel? Sounds a lot like one.

Lugha, once more you disappoint me. That you never learnt this famous story is a bit, let's just say, suspicious.

Castles ==> Post-Norman
    Fianna Cycle ==> Pre-Norman
    1592==> Post-Fianna Cycle

Advertisement