Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre NCT Car Wash

• 24-03-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I have the NCT on Friday and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good car wash in the tallaght/greenhills area. How does one make sure that the underneath of the car is clean enough? I have never had this cleaned....i think?!?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

wouldnt worry about cleaning under the car, unless its caked with mud. Ive never cleaned the underside of any car Ive taken to be NCTed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

It's a waste on money, unless you have clumps of muck dropping off of the bottom of the car it's not really worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

spw1 wrote: »
    Hi, I have the NCT on Friday and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good car wash in the tallaght/greenhills area. How does one make sure that the underneath of the car is clean enough? I have never had this cleaned....i think?!?:confused:

If you're determined to get the underside of the car clean, you can get it done in a Maxol that has the "Maxiwash" - it's one of the options they offer.

The one in Lucan up by the Annadale/McDonalds drive-thru has one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spw1

Cheers for that....have not been doing much off road lately:D so i think it might just be fine....hmmm....what to worry about next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Texaco in Clondalkin has a wash bay where dudes do it by hand. I'm sure you could get them to do the underside if you're really bothered. As mentioned, if its not caked in mud or sh*te its not really necessary.

Anytime I've gone for NCT though I've cleaned and washed the car myself as I would normally do (wash, hoover etc.), just so the tester doesn't have to get into a car covered in crisp packets :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just use the jet wash and try to get into the arches and underneath as best as you can. Remove hubcaps and general rubbish inside.
    Hose down the engine too, while it's running (cover parts that may not like water, googleyour car model)
    If car is nice and clean it'll make their job easier and more inclined to let you off (I hope) :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Magnus wrote: »
    Just use the jet wash and try to get into the arches and underneath as best as you can. Remove hubcaps and general rubbish inside.
    Hose down the engine too, while it's running (cover parts that may not like water, googleyour car model)
    If car is nice and clean it'll make their job easier and more inclined to let you off (I hope) :)

Fine except for this bit:
    Hose down the engine too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

PauloMN wrote: »
    Fine except for this bit:
    I've done this several times without issue? Just take the car for a spin after to dry it out.

You have other experiences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Magnus wrote: »
    I've done this several times without issue? Just take the car for a spin after to dry it out.

You have other experiences?

If you use very low pressure (no pressure washers!) and are careful to cover electrics, alternator, ignition system, etc with plastic and taped joints it's usually fine.

The components in the engine bay are not designed to be hosed down, for example many cars have openings in the gearbox bell housing which can allow water (or worse again, oil laden water) into the clutch assembly.

Many electrical components are moisture resistant but not water proofed against a deluge of water. Water leaking down past poor seals into spark plug cavities can cause the plugs to arc and result in rough running/stalling. Not exactly what you want just before your NCT.

You probably won't do any harm most of the time but it is not a recommended practice, especially with hose on full pressure or a power washer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

spw1 wrote:
    Hi, I have the NCT on Friday and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good car wash in the tallaght/greenhills area. How does one make sure that the underneath of the car is clean enough? I have never had this cleaned....i think?!?
    The last car that I put through the NCT I put the front half of the car up on axle stands and cleaned underneath it with paper towels soaked in white spirits. There was a lot of oil/grease /crud left behind from various services in the past. Thought it best not to give the staff in the NCT centre any reason to delve deeper and find any expensive to fix problems.

• Advertisement

Hosing down an engine does little to clean it anyway, if you want to clean your engine use a propor engine cleaner/degreaser and a garden hose, aiming a jetwash at it is not the thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

RoverJames wrote: »
    Hosing down an engine does little to clean it anyway, if you want to clean your engine use a propor engine cleaner/degreaser and a garden hose, aiming a jetwash at it is not the thing to do.

Good point James.

I use Meguiars engine cleaner/degreaser and Meguiars engine dressing after it's dry. I've often used a pressure washer and I've often used a garden hose.

I have to say I had no bad experiences with the pressure washer but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Use the garden hose instead.

The better degreaser you use, the less water pressure you'll need so a hose is fine.

Advertisement