Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car for golf

• 24-03-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I currently have a 00 Nissan Almera. I only use it twice a week. One evening to to go to the range and once at the weekend to play golf.

I just joined a new golf club and I would like to upgrade to a slightly nicer car as the car park is full of Audi's and Beamers. Prob have about €10k plus trade in to spend.

Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Get real?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

69 wrote: »
    Get real?

I should point out I know nothing about cars.

Is that not realistic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

PH4T wrote: »
    I just joined a new golf club and I would like to upgrade to a slightly nicer car as the car park is full of Audi's and Beamers.

:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::D:D:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Small mileage would have me looking at something with a nice big engine that no one wants and can be bought for peanuts relative to their new price...hmmm...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A8/3.7-quat/200919192737660/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/Se-3.0-A/201003196674441/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Volkswagen Golf............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I currently have a 00 Nissan Almera. I only use it twice a week. One evening to to go to the range and once at the weekend to play golf.

I just joined a new golf club and I would like to upgrade to a slightly nicer car as the car park is full of Audi's and Beamers. Prob have about €10k plus trade in to spend.

Anyone any suggestions?

If the guys at the club are going to judge you on your car instead of your game, I'd find a new club! Those guys are probably driving company cars anyway.

If the car does you grand, and is driving ok there's no real reason to change it.

Jaysus lads if the guy wants to change the car who are we to judge his reasoning:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Volkswagen Golf............

I was going to say that, but had to hold myself back lol :D
    EPM wrote: »
    Jaysus lads if the guy wants to change the car who are we to judge his reasoning:rolleyes:

Its just what I'd do in the circumstances :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

bongi69 wrote: »
    If the guys at the club are going to judge you on your car instead of your game, I'd find a new club! Those guys are probably driving company cars anyway.

If the car does you grand, and is driving ok there's no real reason to change it.

+1
    Why spend that sort of money just to keep up appearances?? If your happy enough with your current car and you only use it twice a week then don't throw your money away.
    Spend some on a great new set of clubs and stick to the Almera. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Get real?

He can spend his money on whatever he wants.

He could buy magic beans what does it matter to you!

• Advertisement

Small mileage would have me looking at something with a nice big engine that no one wants and can be bought for peanuts relative to their new price...hmmm...

Very nice EPM.

Would I not be better off getting something with a smaller engine as I'm not going to be doing much driving in it and it's going to be sitting in the garage 5 days a week?

Golf club is 15 miles from my gaff and range is 5 miles away so in a typical week I'll only be doing about 40 miles.

In terms of running costs for insurance and petrol would both those cars not be pretty expensive?

40 miles will probably cost you a tenner a week, road tax...bigger alright...but they'll look the business if that's what you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Theta wrote: »
    He can spend his money on whatever he wants.

He could buy magic beans what does it matter to you!
    I was on topic.
    If the OP wants magic beans I can help him out.

If he thinks he needs to have a big car to drive 15 miles twice a week to impress people I can't help him.

40 miles will probably cost you a tenner a week, road tax...bigger alright...but they'll look the business if that's what you want

Very true. My mate has some sort of 3 series Beamer but it only looks like half a car.

Any idea how many years would a car like that 01 5 Series BMW be expected to last?

voxpop wrote: »

Golf Clubs on roof rack...oh wait:D;)
    I was on topic.
    If the OP wants magic beans I can help him out.

If he thinks he needs to have a big car to drive 15 miles twice a week to impress people I can't help him.

Then why bother posting at all?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Where do you put your golf clubs/trolley/gear bag?

Golf Clubs on roof rack...oh wait:D;)

its got a passenger seat :pac:

Very true. My mate has some sort of 3 series Beamer but it only looks like half a car.

Any idea how many years would a car like that 01 5 Series BMW be expected to last?

That one looks mint, serviced when it should be it should last pretty much forever at 40 miles a week:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

its got a passenger seat :pac:

Golf is normally played with 1 or more playing partners. Should they get the bus? ;)

http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201009197100194

Huge value there, and enough room for 4 peeps and all their golfing gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/SL-Class/350/200930194669351/advert?channel=CARS

Craxy to pay tax and insurance for a big saloon for two short trips a week. Get something georgous which costs almost nothing in tax/insurance, and will appreciate if you look after it and keep the mileage down.

Golf is normally played with 1 or more playing partners. Should they get the bus? ;)

They will all be driving their own Porsches of course - how embarrassing to turn up at the club in someone else car! :D

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/SL-Class/350/200930194669351/advert?channel=CARS

Craxy to pay tax and insurance for a big saloon for two short trips a week. Get something georgous which costs almost nothing in tax/insurance, and will appreciate if you look after it and keep the mileage down.

Yeah classic tax and insurance all the way. Its a bit odd that they advertise it as an SL-350 when its an SL-500. Only problem is if something goes wrong, its mega bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Very nice EPM.

Would I not be better off getting something with a smaller engine as I'm not going to be doing much driving in it and it's going to be sitting in the garage 5 days a week?

Golf club is 15 miles from my gaff and range is 5 miles away so in a typical week I'll only be doing about 40 miles.

In terms of running costs for insurance and petrol would both those cars not be pretty expensive?

Changing your car to keep up appearances is pretty expensive.
    Keep your car and if people think it's not a fancy enough car, then you're better off not having the stuck-up gits as friends.

Save the cash, and buy a nice set of clubs and a ticket to some glorious golfers holiday destination and come back tanned and regailing them with tales of an exotic land :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Its a bit odd that they advertise it as an SL-350 when its an SL-500. Only problem is if something goes wrong, its mega bucks.

It's not an SL 500, it's an SL 350 as advertised.

(Don't believe everything you see ;):p:D))

unkel wrote: »
    It's not an SL 500, it's an SL 350 as advertised.

(Don't believe everything you see ;):p:D))

You mean its re-badged or am I missing something :confused:

edit: I see the SL500 only started production in 1980 (thanks wikipedia)

Being honest, I think it is not particularly wise to spend €10,000 on a car that will be used so seldomly. Regardless of how much cash you have to spend €10,000 can pay for a splendid holiday, great golf clubs and loads of other nice stuff. So if I was you and required a nice car that wouldn't look out of place in amongst all the Bimmers and Audi I'd buy something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1183411.

Styling not great but most of the f*cktards down the golf club won't realise how little it costs, and it is a big car insurance will be not out of the way, tax a bit of a bummer but it will last years and years and cost little to maintain with the miles you do. Also should you get the invite to play in some other clubs you have plenty of room to transport other golf chaps there in great comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm sure a set of golf clubs will fit in something like this:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201009197131515

Nice spec, looks well looked after and would not look out of place outside at a golf club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Relatively small boot in the 3 series though... you won't fit two golf bags in there... one bag + a foldup trolley & there's not much space left for your shoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

How bout something like these will look the part but with realtively small engine tax, insurance and petrol costs wont be to much either.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/E-200-KO/201010197190399/advert?channel=CARS

or

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Saab/9-3/1.8I-VEC/201007196932053/advert?channel=CARS ????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Anyone any suggestions?

Pathetically sad or sadly pathetic, can't decide which,
    who gives a **** what you drive to the golf club.
    Its really cool to drive a crap car in this recession and you're already there with your Almera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Pathetically sad or sadly pathetic, can't decide which
    No more personal abuse, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd doubt your average saloon will manage 2 sets of clubs and other gear to be honest due to the limited access which means your choices are between hatchbacks and estates:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201008197001034

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201012197311675

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Anan1 wrote: »
    No more personal abuse, thanks.

Oh its perfectly ok to insert a string of smilies/faces or tell people to "get real" but when the truth is spoken, big bad moderator gets his stick out?
    Pretty typical around here. I suspect OP is a troll anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

'02 530D
    http://cars.buyandsell.ie/search/image_preview?pid=1375754

Decent motor, plenty of room for golf sticks. You'll be taking the long way home in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

is he...is he joking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I think you're crazy to buy a car which is essentially for the benefit of other people. But if I was in your situation I would opt for either the X5 or the Range Rover Vogue mentioned previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

OP LOL Seriously! Hilarious ...

What would really impress people in golf clubs would be getting a taxi to and from the club, that way you could have a few pints there and get acquainted with the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Oh its perfectly ok to insert a string of smilies/faces or tell people to "get real" but when the truth is spoken, big bad moderator gets his stick out?
    Pretty typical around here. I suspect OP is a troll anyway!
    I'm giving you a week off for arguing with a mod's decision on-thread. I strongly suggest you read the charter before posting again on your return.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm sure a set of golf clubs will fit in something like this:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201009197131515

Nice spec, looks well looked after and would not look out of place outside at a golf club.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking about. Very nice.

This is also nice. What do people think of this compared to the BMW 3 Series bazz26 mentioned earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I reckon you could buy that Saab, tax it and insure it and still have change of 10k. Fairly decent on fuel, insurance shouldnt be too bad, nice and smooth to drive.

I'd consider taking a look at this one OP. BTW, if you know very little about cars, ask your local mechanic or a friend that knows his stuff to come along with you to make sure its not a lemon.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd doubt your average saloon will manage 2 sets of clubs and other gear to be honest due to the limited access which means your choices are between hatchbacks and estates:

[URL="http://"][/URL]

I used to get 3 sets of clubs, one motorised trolley thing and two manual pull along little trolleys along with a gear bag in the boot of a Rover 600, other two gearbags in the back seat/floor and passenger in the back happy out too. In a 2005 Mondeo I had to drop 60% of the rear seat to accomodate the same stuff but still not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Hummer%20Golf%20Cart.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

ROFL Sitec :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

OP< every car in that car park looks more or less the same....get something different if you want to stand out... a big yankee pick up would be my choice (Ford preferably)...or a Land Rover perhaps ( an old one of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I doubt that you're going to get 2-3 sets of clubs in a 3 series coupe.

What about a Volvo S80. 2L engine and plenty of space for clubs. Nice seats etc.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S80/2.0T-SE-/200949196091078/advert?channel=CARS

The OP is right, if he wants a nice car he should go for it regardless of motivation, also anything is better than an Almera.

Ferris wrote: »
    What about a Volvo S80. 2L engine and plenty of space for clubs. Nice seats etc.

Wow I didn't realise you could get some many nice cars for under €10k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Lot of car for the money, brother used to own one, fine
    machine. that or a nice 5 series and your all set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement