Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer query

Options
  • 24-03-2010 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I recently ordered some photos in my local chemist. The gentleman who served me told me that if I waited 1hour my photos would cost €8 (there were 10 photos all of A4 size) and if I waited 24 hours they would be half that price.
    When I went to collect said photos a woman served me and told me they cost €69.95 altogether @ €6.95 a photo.
    I told her the gentleman the day before has quoted me a different price and she said that he made a mistake, that the photograph prices are clearly stated on the side of the machine.
    I told her I did not have that amount of money with me and that I would return. I cannot afford to pay €70 for these photos nor do I want to. If the gentleman serving me has told me this price I wouldn't have ordered them.
    Can they make me pay for them? - they have my contact details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

LesleyAnn wrote: »
    I recently ordered some photos in my local chemist. The gentleman who served me told me that if I waited 1hour my photos would cost €8 (there were 10 photos all of A4 size) and if I waited 24 hours they would be half that price.
    When I went to collect said photos a woman served me and told me they cost €69.95 altogether @ €6.95 a photo.
    I told her the gentleman the day before has quoted me a different price and she said that he made a mistake, that the photograph prices are clearly stated on the side of the machine.
    I told her I did not have that amount of money with me and that I would return. I cannot afford to pay €70 for these photos nor do I want to. If the gentleman serving me has told me this price I wouldn't have ordered them.
    Can they make me pay for them? - they have my contact details.

A4 size images (or 8x10) generally cost around €6-8 per image (in a chemist). Harvey Norman do them for €3 I think.

So, getting 10 photos printed for €8 sounds just way, way too cheap.

Not sure fully where you stand in relation to your issue though. You requested a service (printing of the images) and they printed the images. They now want payment. While they have your details, I doubt they would take the time (and hassle) to come after you, if you don't want the prints now. Legally though ... they probably could make you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LesleyAnn

Paulw
    Thanks for the reply - might try harvey normans so.
    Paulw wrote: »
    A4 size images (or 8x10) generally cost around €6-8 per image (in a chemist). Harvey Norman do them for €3 I think.

So, getting 10 photos printed for €8 sounds just way, way too cheap.

Not sure fully where you stand in relation to your issue though. You requested a service (printing of the images) and they printed the images. They now want payment. While they have your details, I doubt they would take the time (and hassle) to come after you, if you don't want the prints now. Legally though ... they probably could make you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just walk away. They can't make you pay for it, but they won't give you the 10 A4 pics for €8 either. Since they've already printed them, and have no money for it, you could make an offer and see if they accept.

Try online, something like photobox.ie perhaps. There are other online printing services too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

You made an agreement based on the price you were quoted, I would assume that you would not have to purchase if you were misquoted. I recently had some printing work done, when the product was presented to me the assistant admitted he did not think I would be happy with it. I wasnt, unfortunately due to time constraints I had no other option but I had been told that I did not have to purchase it if I was not happy with it. I would recommend phoning the management in the store and explaining your situation, be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Is it possible that perhaps there was a slight miscommunication here, perhaps the first gent said 8 euro for your photos, meaning 8 euro each, but didn't make that distinction clear enough.

But as smelltheglove says, speak to the management, explain the situation and maybe a compromise can be reached. If they start getting hardline about it, just take yourself off to Harveys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement