Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Givens resigns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

celebrate.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Cannot say I am sorry, I think it is about time someone new was given a go. There seem to be too many stories as of late about things not working out between him and the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

About time...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

spongebobhappyspongebob.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

WOHOOO!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

About bleedin' time, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good stuff. It was high time for a change. Hopefully we can see an improvement now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Stan IN!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mahon is perfect for this job, so ehh STAN IN :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

he shoulda been sacked a long time ago not resigning now... i mean WOOT, thank fup for that, maybe now we can have some decent youth come through the U-21 ranks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Thought the title was "Given resigns", phew, even better when I realised it was Givens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

To echo others about time.

He's gone on to a scouting role :rolleyes: FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dreams can come true, they can happen for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

A great day for Irish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He wasnt given enough time...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

keano_afc wrote: »
    He wasnt given enough time...:pac:

arf.

hallelujah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Is no one going to stand up for him, and say he did a decent job in bringing on the young stars of the future?

I'm certainly not. Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Great news :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

article-1229025-07452CAC000005DC-898_468x286.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Any candidates for his replacement?

Hopefully he'll still selflessly make himself available in a caretaker capacity for the senior job....especially if it involves friendlies against Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Any candidates for his replacement?

an inanimate carbon rod, everyones agreed that the futures looking brighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Fuhrer wrote: »
    an inanimate carbon rod, everyones agreed that the futures looking brighter

Leave Steve Staunton out of this please :pac:

Like see Sean McCaffrey get chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

He's still in the system though, head of scouting in Uk or something. More jobs for the boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

god, wasnt he lucky that when he resigned that there was a chief scouting role in the UK vacant :rolleyes:
    would love to know who he has by the curlies in the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Wooooooo!

I'd love to know how someone who hasn't won a competitive game in 2 years (AFAIK), bottom of our qualifying group, who has a history of falling out with talented youngsters, lasted so long and still wasn't even pushed out the door.

FAIL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'm annoyed that the FAI has given him a scouting role tbh

I hope for a competent replacement but this is the FAI we are talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

get david o'leary in.. let him fix his reputation working with some kids and then learn from Trap

bonkers wrote: »
    get david o'leary in.. let him fix his reputation working with some kids and then learn from Trap

Not bad choice there, not sure he take it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

would be great to get someone in with a record like his.. working with talent, developing it.. he gave agbonlahor his debut at villa aswell

come on denis, denis - sign him up

he just on newstalk now if interested

Givens was there far far too long!

Great player for Ireland he was, but a disaster as u21 manager. I wouldn't like O'Leary involved in any capacity tbh but sure at least this time he couldn't spend on players like a lunatic. There is a shortage of good Irish coaches with the exception of a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Only the FAI would leave someone, who is performing below-average, in charge for 10 years. His record with the U-21s did not warrant giving him another job within the association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Weren't they reviewing his situation the last few weeks. Maybe the FAI gave him the option to resign rather than being sacked. Thank god tho. Absolutely rubbish manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Osu wrote: »
    Weren't they reviewing his situation the last few weeks. Maybe the FAI gave him the option to resign rather than being sacked. Thank god tho. Absolutely rubbish manager.

Initial reaction on seeing this news - thank christ.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Only about 8 years late.

Had fears it was a job for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

he just on newstalk now if interested
    Sickening sh1te out of him, givin it the whole he felt it was time to step aside victim spiel. It's truly patethic that the man has been rewarded with another position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Nice to see him retaining his six-figure salary.
    Not really a surprise. :mad:
    Departing Givens insists he made call to walk away from U-21 job
    By Daniel McDonnell
    Thursday March 25 2010

DON GIVENS last night insisted that it was his decision to relinquish his role as Ireland U-21 manager rather than a case of jumping before he was pushed.

The 60-year-old will take up a new role overseeing the FAI's UK scouting network after announcing that his 10-year tenure in charge of the U-21 side is over.

His side have struggled desperately in recent campaigns, finishing bottom in their last completed group and heading for the same position this time around with successive defeats to Armenia drawing sharp criticism.

Givens subsequently met with FAI CEO John Delaney and High Performance Director Wim Koevermans, and says he suggested then that a change might be for the best. "I can honestly say it was my initiative to step down,"
    Givens told Newstalk's 'Off The Ball'.

Questions

"As there would be in any association, there would be questions asked and rightly so after losing those games. It was very much of my reckoning to step down.

"The two performances against Armenia were poor. I felt it was time to assess the situation and get involved in a different role.

"I sat back and looked at it and discussed the situation with Wim and John Delaney and then came to the decision that I think it would be better now (to move on)."

Givens will retain a six-figure salary in his new brief, while Koevermans will oversee the search for a replacement. The Irish U-21 side aren't scheduled to play again until August, when Estonia visit these shores.

"I would like to wish Don well in new role as chief scout in the UK and thank him for his time with the U-21 squad," said Koevermans.

"After almost a decade in charge of this age level, the time is right to introduce a new manager and we expect to make this appointment before the next U-21 match."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/departing-givens-insists-he-made-call-to-walk-away-from-u21-job-2110705.html?from=dailynews

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

****ing hell, I thought it was shay given,bastard lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Was delighted when I heard he was gone

Sickened when I heard he got shuffled sideways, someone that sh!t at their job should have been sacked

Advertisement