Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baskets

Options
  • 24-03-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I love the garden. Spend hours in it. I havent a clue really - I dont know all the technical stuff - ill be honest. But I just feel calm there.

I want to do my baskets now to pretty the place up. What would anyone advise i put in the for glowing colour & just pretty ? I havent a penny but my dad the super keen gardener will have whatever you suggest growing up in his that I can take... ( Hes just old & cant remember the names of anything so no point in me talking to him for advice)

I have some fritalaria ( wrong spelling) coming up in pots I would love to include..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

I was in atlantic the other day and picked up a tray of 10 sweet pea for under a fiver, you could put some of them around the edges and let them trail down, i find this lower maintenance then growing them up a trellis as you just let them be, and they look lovely and smell gorgeous, also you can cut some of them and bring them inside :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

Loving your garden, makes you a gardener!:)

Frittilary loves rich soil that is moist - is yours the small native variety or the bigger ornamental? Either would grow well in pots but never let it dry out.

Hanging basket plants can be cheap like viola, lobellia, petunia and draping ivy or sweetpea as previously suggested. Look out for packs in garden centres or plant stalls at markets for good deals. Try and grow from seed too!

Also look out for hanging basket demonstrations at garden centres too. I know of a course that will be held near where I live, pm me for more information on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I was in atlantic the other day and picked up a tray of 10 sweet pea for under a fiver, you could put some of them around the edges and let them trail down, i find this lower maintenance then growing them up a trellis as you just let them be, and they look lovely and smell gorgeous, also you can cut some of them and bring them inside :)

last summer every wall trellis pot had sweet pea wrapped around the place - love them... but the rain did them no favours....
    Ill go rob some seeds from dad & grow them.... Kids love that part then abandon me to do the rest:D

Loving your garden, makes you a gardener!:)

Frittilary loves rich soil that is moist - is yours the small native variety or the bigger ornamental? Either would grow well in pots but never let it dry out.

Hanging basket plants can be cheap like viola, lobellia, petunia and draping ivy or sweetpea as previously suggested. Look out for packs in garden centres or plant stalls at markets for good deals. Try and grow from seed too!

Also look out for hanging basket demonstrations at garden centres too. I know of a course that will be held near where I live, pm me for more information on that!

I have both - small snakeskin & large yellows ( The smell manky) All in pots at the moment ready to be moved somewhere.
    I robbed viola & pansy on him there as well as Ivys. Ive diantus down in the back bed so I might dig them up & basket them just for a central point.

My crocus have finally appeared - in nearly April :eek::eek: No flowers yet - but nearly there - Should have them by Easter lol

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Has anyone come across any hanging baskets for sensible money on their travels. Have lotfs of sweet pea starting off but needs to find somewhere to put them all

• Advertisement

I normally picked them up in Tesco just the wire cheap as chips ones. But they seem to have scaled back their gardening sections. I then just turn the soil bags inside out & make liners out of it once ive used the soil. But ive been recycling the soil since last year through a riddle so no bags this year to use. Bit of carpet does the trick too..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Thanks Lucy suppose I will have to try Tesco this weekend. Garden centres were quite dear when I was in there last week

C Eng wrote: »
    Thanks Lucy suppose I will have to try Tesco this weekend. Garden centres were quite dear when I was in there last week

I know - recession doesnt appear to be noticed in these places.....

last year for a fete dad was doing we needed tons of baskets & the cost was outweighing everything so we got clear plastic bowls like the ones you make the christmas cake in. Bought a long length of chain in B & Q & made out own..... Super cheap & cheerful & recycling lol

Advertisement