Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon vs Nikon (price range around 1000 euros)

• 24-03-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I am quite new into the whole Digital SLR theme. I ve been looking both Canon and Nikon cameras.

My budget is around 1000 euros at first. Well eventually I plan to buy more objectives, but that's in the future.

Which one would you recommend for a beginner. Nikon or Canon in that price range? or perhaps a used camera?

thanks

edit: Nikon vs Canon not Kodak. sry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I don't know where you've actually found Kodak DSLRs for sale, but I'd advise against them :) Kodak arguably had the first real modern DSLRs back in the day but AFAIK they discontinued them in 2005, and even at that stage they'd been outclassed by practically everybody else (not that I haven't been occasionally tempted when I see them being flogged on EBay).

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Moses7

sry I meant Nikon. I was thinking of my old Kodak(which was horrible) and just typed the wrong name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

More than likely it's Kodak bridge cameras you're thinking about?

[edit] just noticed your reply before I posted]

You'll get recommendations for both, which particular models were you considering?

Moses7 wrote: »
    sry I meant Nikon. I was thinking of my old Kodak(which was horrible) and just typed the wrong name.

Ah right, that's a relief :) In that case I'll re-iterate what I said to someone earlier on ...
    I'm going to jump in here before you start getting legions of people advising you to go for this camera or that, or this bundle which is better than that bundle or whatever. You say the 500d looks good ? Just buy it. Go into a shop over the weekend and ask to see it and play with it a bit. Ask to play with the equivalent nikon model for comparison. Then just buy one of them. All entry to mid level cameras available now are about as capable as one another. It won't make the slightest bit of difference to your photography which one you get.

The last thing you want to do is start getting bogged down in gear and spend the next few months wavering over one model or another. Thats a few months that you don't spend taking photographs, which is the most important thing.

I ve been looking at: Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EOS 450D/500D Nikon D3000 and D5000.

Nikon clearly seems cheaper when I look at different Ebay listings.

• Advertisement

@DaireQuinlan

Thanks. I guess you are right. Friend of mine has 500d and I plan to borrow it for the weekend. I am sure someone has the Nikon as well so I can play with it little more than in the store.

@DaireQuinlan

Thanks. I guess you are right. Friend of mine has 500d and I plan to borrow it for the weekend. I am sure someone has the Nikon as well so I can play with it little more than in the store.

Actually the mention of the 500d is there because that's the camera another poster was talking about, but the idea is the same. Go into a camera store with a budget, pick the one that feels the nicest in your hand and fits the budget and buy it right there. Then go and start taking pictures. Remember that you're interested in taking photographs, not mooning over one camera or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I shoot Nikon high end bodies and the past few years people have asked what camera they should get when going for a DSLR. Everytime I've said to them that they should go for a Canon 400D/450D depending on what was out at the time.

The Nikon entry level stuff is cheaper but I just don't think it has the longevity of the Canon entry level cameras.

I feel Nikon have sold themselves out of the entry level market somewhat with the lack of autofocus motors onthe bodies of the D40/D60/D3000/D5000 limiting the choice of lenses that will autofocus on those bodies.

I feel that Canon bodies aren't as nice to hold or to use as Nikon bodies too at entry level.

The Nikon D3000/5000 are a class below the Canon 450D/500D in my opinion and that is reflected in the price/features/build quality. The Canon 1000D is more on par with the two Nikon cameras mentioned.

If it were between the Nikon D3000/5000 and Canon 1000D I'd still say go for tha canon as the choice of lenses you have is much greater at a lower cost right now.

Canon just makes more sense to me for that budget.

If I was going to buy nikon entry level cameras I'd be leaning towards a slightly older model like a use Nikon D80 even though the sensor is about a generation behind the current batch of cameras on the market. It's the baby brother to the Nikon D200 (which I've had and was a good camera).

So, my point is, in my opinion, you get more bang for the buck if you go Canon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Nikon clearly seems cheaper when I look at different Ebay listings.
    Make sure you read the ebay listings and seller feedback carefully.
    Sometimes the cameras are refurbished even though listed as new. They'll "hide" this in pages of specs and marketing material.
    Sometimes the seller is in Hong Kong or outside the EU, even though it says UK seller (so could get caught with taxes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

About 2 years ago I bought an SLR. looked at
    - what kind of photography did I want to do
    - What features did I need for that type of photography
    - how much I could afford.
    - Then trawled through dpreview to find the best match
    - then went to a camera store & tried a couple of cameras including the one that was best fit on paper

The camera I liked most 'in my hand' was a nikon, but I bought a Canon b/c it had all the features I wanted plus was way cheaper at that time. Am using a 40D now & happy with it.

Bottom line for me - both Canon & nikon are very good, but depending on your needs you will find that one will be more suitable for you than the other. If all the above sounds nerdy - I would advise you to research carefully because if you decide later to switch from one brand to another it is expensive, especially if you have accumulated lenses or flashes etc in the meantime...

- Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

For what you want I'd go for the Canon 500D

thanks everyone. I ll be picking up a 500D soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Arrr go on ..... Get a D3X ..... the hell with the budget!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    There's a D80 with good lens on Adverts.ie currently.

I was looking for my first DSLR and asked a few questions on this forum.
    In the end I ended up going for a Pentax K-X (with kit lens and 55-300mm. Getting it from the USA for €450, about €650 or more here).

It's gotten great reviews everywhere and I like the feel of it in hand. has nice features too and body stabilization, live view etc.

Everyone recommend hadling the cameras to see which feels best. to me the Canon 1000D feels 'plastic-ish' but that's something you'd get used to after a day I'd imagine.
    There's a good 'best buy' section here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The Canon 500D was recently discontinued (like only a month or two ago) and was replaced by the 550D. It's still a good camera and I'm sure some shops still have stock and if you find it for sale somewhere maybe you can use this information to negotiate on the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

sink wrote: »
    The Canon 500D was recently discontinued (like only a month or two ago) and was replaced by the 550D. It's still a good camera and I'm sure some shops still have stock and if you find it for sale somewhere maybe you can use this information to negotiate on the price.

The 500d is sold out everywhere! bar Argos. I've been trying to lay my hands on one and think I've got one sorted! The 550d is pretty much the same from what I've read except for the fact that its got a lot more video capabilities.

Hope this helps.

Will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

CabanSail wrote: »

There was a brand new D3x on adverts.ie recently....for 3k! Tempting as it was, I'd have been part of the divorce stats had I bid on it!:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

CabanSail wrote: »

I go D3S over X but, that's just me*.

*Me in fantasyland where money is not an issue.

Advertisement