Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona the biggest spenders?

• 24-03-2010 3:11pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was reading a short article in the Metro earlier which said that Messi was now the world's highest paid footballer, on 33 million euros a year. He's in good company, as 5 of Barcelona's first team are earning over 10 million a year compared to 'only' 2 at Real (and 4 at Chelsea).

I was under the impression that Real were paying huge salaries across the board and that Barcelona were paying good, but not top wages.

Am I missing something about the image rights and the way they're handled (all figures here seem to include endorsements and bonuses)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

33 million euros a year in just wages?? So 2.75 million per month? Sorry, not believing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in football, money is needed to have success. and very interestingly, wage bills are more relevant than transfer spend etc. good book with a title along the lines of 'why england always lose and other curious phenomena explained' which goes into this kinda thing in great detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ush1 wrote: »
    33 million euros a year in just wages?? So 2.75 million per month? Sorry, not believing that.

Image rights entitlements are different in Spain. So this figure may include the promotional money. It just happens to be going to Barca first and then onto the player.

But i'm just guessing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Image rights entitlements are different in Spain. So this figure may include the promotional money. It just happens to be going to Barca first and then onto the player.

But i'm just guessing.

Includes sponsorship/enorsements and bonuses (see brackets). Base salary is 10 million after renegotiating from 8.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

there is an article on UnitedRant about this - with the Top 50 paid players in Europe.

Barcelona 8 Ibrahimovich, Messi, Henry, Xavi, Alves, Valdez, Puyol, Iniesta
    Chelsea 8 Terry, Lampard, Ballack, Cole, Drogba, Anelka, Cole, Deco
    Manchester City 7 Adebayor, Tevez, Toure, Robinho, Barry, Bridge, Viera
    Real Madrid 6 Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema, Raul, Casillas, Diarra
    United 4 Ferdinand, Rooney, Berbatov, Giggs
    Milan 3 Ronaldinho, Pirlo, (Beckham)
    Bayern Munich 3 Robben, Ribery, Schweinsteiger
    Liverpool 2 Gerrard, Torres
    Juventus 2 Buffon, Del Piero
    Roma 2 Totti, (Toni)
    Arsenal 1 Arshavin
    Inter 1 Eto'o
    Sevilla 1 Kanoute
    Valencia 1 Villa

• Advertisement

Why does Berbatov earn more than Scholes? That seems a tad unfair. As does Arshavin over Fabregas.

I won't pity them, all the same.

Includes sponsorship/enorsements and bonuses (see brackets). Base salary is 10 million after renegotiating from 8.5.

Yep, still abit strange though. Seems a very large chunk of the sponsorships going through the club.

Why does Berbatov earn more than Scholes? That seems a tad unfair. As does Arshavin over Fabregas.

Berbatov earning more than me is unfair!

Yep, still abit strange though. Seems a very large chunk of the sponsorships going through the club.

In Spain most of the endorsement money goes through the club.

If i'm not mistaken, Real Madrid took a 50% chunk of Beckham's endorsement money? (i'm open to correction because it's a distant menory at this stage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Time of their careers and time of negotiating i would guess.

New 'big name' signings are always going to go in towards the top end of the scale at the club. I reckon Fabregas would go level or above Arshavin on next negotiation. Also, as far as I know Arsenal pay signing on fee's pro rata over a players contract, so Arshavin could be earning the same as Fabregas, but with the signing on fee bumping him over that figure. I know that was the case with Sol Campbel, where he was offered a contract on the same wages, but it amounted to something like 20k a week less as he didn't have the signing on fee from the Spurs switch anymore.

Same could be the case with Berbatov. I know United have a set pay structure with players falling into different pay bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

MrStuffins wrote: »
    In Spain most of the endorsement money goes through the club.

If i'm not mistaken, Real Madrid took a 50% chunk of Beckham's endorsement money? (i'm open to correction because it's a distant menory at this stage)

I dont think thats right, think that refers to the use of his name on selling Replica shirts or something.

But who knows with Madrid.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    I dont think thats right, think that refers to the use of his name on selling Replica shirts or something.

But who knows with Madrid.

Just gave it a quick search

Lost in the media blitz of the Beckham deal were reports that Real Madrid offered him a two-year extension worth more than his previous $9 million-a-year salary, and that the sides argued over control of Beckham's image rights of which Real Madrid owned 50 percent during his four-year tenure with the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I reckon Fabregas would go level or above Arshavin on next negotiation.

I'm pretty sure he already is above him.

Doesn't Fabregas have a mental long contract aswell, something like a 10 year when he signed?

I'm pretty sure he already is above him.

Yeah, i was under the impression Fabregas was Arsenal's highest paid player?

I remember reading his salary a few weeks back and being surprised at how highly he was being paid. But can't remember the figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm fairly sure Arshavin earns more than Fabregas actually. Which is ridiculous, need to bump Fab up immediately to being the highest paid earner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

A lot of it is down to the tax rate.

Prior to january this year all foreigners in la liga only paid about 20% tax compared to 45% I think it is in England soon to be 50%.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Arshavin earns more than Fabregas actually. Which is ridiculous, need to bump Fab up immediately to being the highest paid earner.

Another stat i was surprised by was Fabregas has 15 league goals this season from Centre Midfield. Incredible!

redout wrote: »
    A lot of it is down to the tax rate.

Prior to january this year all foreigners in la liga only paid about 20% tax compared to 45% I think it is in England soon to be 50%.

Why, are these NET figures? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Why, are these NET figures? :eek:
    I have a funny feeling all salaries are negotiated at net in spain so if the tax rate goes up there wages stay the same and the clubs pay the differences?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I have a funny feeling all salaries are negotiated at net in spain so if the tax rate goes up there wages stay the same and the clubs pay the differences?

Yup, same in gernamy.

Luca Toni is the highest paid player in the world (gross) at €220k per week basic, or he was when he signed for Bayern.
    Because of German tax laws, his net is 110k per week.

Does Toni still have to pay German tax rates when he's on loan in Italy? I imagine the clubs are splitting his wages somehow. Maybe he doesn't pay any as he's non-resident for 6 months of the year... tricky one.

Advertisement