Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorway Speed

• 24-03-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭

Having read a link in the thread below regarding the motorists being banned for doing 190-200kph on motorways, just wondering out of interest what is the quickest any of the guys here have done on motorways either in ireland or in germany where such speeds are legal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

VW 1 wrote: »
    Having read a link in the thread below regarding the motorists being banned for doing 190-200kph on motorways, just wondering out of interest what is the quickest any of the guys here have done on motorways either in ireland or in germany where such speeds are legal?

In Germany I have been in a colleague's car who regularly cruises at 220kmh... it's not comfortable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I've been in a friend's car in Slovenia doing 200km/h on the motorway. It was quite unnerving to be honest. But my God they have good motorways over there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I have travelled at 250 km/h on motorways in Ireland when there have been no other cars around.

I enjoyed it, and would recomend anyone who has not travelled at that speed to go and try it out on the autobahn where it would be legal, it looses its thrill after a while though, especially at the petrol station!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

especially at the petrol station!

Oh yeah! You can actually see the little ticker moving down on the fuel gauge when you're at that speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

which thread?

I am very interested in finding out the exact law on speeding on motorways because technically its only 80 quid and points no matter what speed you do (NOT graduated like nearly every other civilised country in Europe) but then suddenly it morphs into a very serious dangerous driving charge.

So basically,
    - 5 over the limit = standard fine + points
    - 10 over the limit = standard fine + points
    - 20 over the limit = standard fine + points
    - 40 over the limit = standard fine + points
    - 60 over the limit = standard fine + points
    so 60 over the limit is just as safe or unsafe as 5 over the limit

BUT
    - 70 over the limit = far too fast.
    Full off the road ban for being 10kmh over the standard fine limit.

Or do you have to act the maggot AND speed at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055726147

here is the thread with the article where the motorists were banned.

I travel at 220-225kph in my own car without the rpm hitting the red line but it never seems to get any higher than this, is it usual for cars to be limited to this kind of speed:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055726147

here is the thread with the article where the motorists were banned.

I travel at 220-225kph in my own car without the rpm hitting the red line but it never seems to get any higher than this, is it usual for cars to be limited to this kind of speed:confused:

The resistance from the wind has increased to the point where the engines power is no longer suffecient to propel the car any faster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i have travelled at an indicated 150mph in an Evo 5 (350bhp).

so a skyline is recommended?lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Gearing in top can hold the car back too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I have travelled at 250 km/h on motorways in Ireland when there have been no other cars around.

I enjoyed it, and would recomend anyone who has not travelled at that speed to go and try it out on the autobahn where it would be legal, it looses its thrill after a while though, especially at the petrol station!

Never gone that fast here myself, but have also gone way over the limit on empty stretches of motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Have done 220 a few times.

Cruising at 180 is fine, most cars will do 180 easily enough, I got passed out by a VW Touran one day when I was doing 180.

For expense and insurance reasons I usually stick to the 130 recommended limit on the Autobahn for Insurance reasons.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Around 240kph in Germany just for a spell, on a very long, very empty, very dry, very straight stretch of the A81, with a terrified wife and a delighted 6 year old. :)

Nice for a short spell, but I'd find it hugely tiring to do for any distance. Cruising around 160kph is much more comfortable for me. Must be getting old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I tend to cruise just under 100mph when traffic is fairly low.

In heavier traffic I slow down to maybe 85mph.

I've been in a car doing 230kph in Germany. BMW 325.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Fastest I've driven is a paltry 170-180 at night (albeit for a very short period of time, just letting the engine breathe officer ahem).

Have been a passenger at 240+ km/h, something I did not enjoy to be honest. I was actually surprised at how uncomfortable I felt. I'd imagine it would have been more tolerable if I was in control.

About 210km/h (125mph) in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

In Ireland my top speed has been 150km/h (95mph) north of Cahir on the M8. However on the Autobahn in Germany I have driven at 280km/h (170mph) on the A1 north towards Hamburg at around 11pm when the road was fairly quite. I decided not to break the 300km/h barrier as it was -7c and I had winter tyres on decided to steady it back to around 200 - 220 which is a comfortable cruising speed on the Autobahn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On the motorway, for about an hour at 190 -210 km/h (audi A4 1.8 pedal to the floor)

Next to the motorway ...320km/h

(in an ICE train)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I am very interested in finding out the exact law on speeding on motorways because technically its only 80 quid and points no matter what speed you do

Several serving Gardai have confirmed here on boards that even if you do very high speeds (one mentioned 300km/h) on an empty motorway the only punishment is a fixed €80 fine plus 2 penalty points.

unkel wrote: »
    Several serving Gardai have confirmed here on boards that even if you do very high speeds (one mentioned 300km/h) on an empty motorway the only punishment is fixed €80 fine plus 2 penalty points.

Are you sure?? I was always under the assumption that between 120km/h and 160km/h was 2 points and €80 and once you broke the magical 100MPH (160km/h) you lost your licence for a minimum of 3 months and got a massive fine. Wasn't there some people caught in Kildare last year including an Italiano-Irish guy who father owned a chip shop or something and some new judge threw the book at them? I remember reading about it in the papers, I have never ventured above 155km/h in the ROI because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The germans limit their cars to 240kph, don't know of anybody using artificial limits below this.

Peak power is generally a bit below the redline. The revs won't climb because the engine has no more power to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Stinicker wrote: »
    In Ireland my top speed has been 150km/h (95mph) north of Cahir on the M8. However on the Autobahn in Germany I have driven at 280km/h (170mph) on the A1 north towards Hamburg at around 11pm when the road was fairly quite. I decided not to break the 300km/h barrier as it was -7c and I had winter tyres on decided to steady it back to around 200 - 220 which is a comfortable cruising speed on the Autobahn.

Jesus H ... on Winter tyres are you cracked .. the road noise/ride must have been brutal !!

Your lucky, I don't think you can even get Z rated tyres W or Y in the Winter Variety :/

Was it a rental car .. if so they'd only EVER fit H tyres which are only rated to 210.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

for all those who have driven in Germany at high speeds (200kmh and above), whats the feeling like? and also the response of the car being driven at that speed, was it hard to handle, external noise, enigne groans etc. etc.

i would love to go that fast on an autobahn (never driven in Germany). best i have gotten to is 160kmh in Ireland and the UK. my dad got up to 130mph on the m1 along time ago, was sitting in the front passenger seat and didnt seem like it was that fast...

my efforts seem poor compared to the rest of ye? oh how i have not lived...:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

burger1979 wrote: »
    for all those who have driven in Germany at high speeds (200kmh and above), whats the feeling like? and also the response of the car being driven at that speed, was it hard to handle, external noise, enigne groans etc. etc.

i would love to go that fast on an autobahn (never driven in Germany). best i have gotten to is 160kmh in Ireland and the UK. my dad got up to 130mph on the m1 along time ago, was sitting in the front passenger seat and didnt seem like it was that fast...

I have to admit I gave my corsa a shot at her top end speed late one nite on an empty M7. I reached an indicated 230kmph before (being honest) i bottled it. Apart from louder exhaust noise, the car handled just like 120kmph. I guess the aerodynamic side skirts, spoilers, lower suspension and wider wheels do play their part

what type of corsa do you have??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Long time ago now but I drove a big Yank hired car at 225 km/hr on a long concrete road in Florida. Exhilirating! No-one told me about their speed limits, and luckily I didn't meet any cops or I probably wouldn't be responding to this thread now.

All was well untill I got to Cape Canaveral, exited a roundabout on the wrong side of the road, and met a patrol car. When the cop came over to give me an ear bashing I pleaded ignorance, and recognising my accent he simply suggested that I try driving on the same side of the road as US citizens.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

what type of corsa do you have??

4425930158_55224e05c1_m.jpg
    OPC 1.6T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

number10a wrote: »
    I've been in a friend's car in Slovenia doing 200km/h on the motorway. It was quite unnerving to be honest. But my God they have good motorways over there!!

Limit is still 120 IIRC. Got a taxi there once from the airport to Ljubljana - he hit 190 kph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Was in the car with my dad when he did 130 miles per hour in a MG. I was 10 so that was 20 years ago - on the old road between youghal and cork.

Think my hubby did nearly that 3 years ago on the n18 ( rushing our daughter into hospital, she was in DKA and there was no time for an ambulance).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

My bike is supposed to do 270kph. I've probably been near that but I've never seen it because I don't take my eyes off the road at speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

im not saying what speeds my Cortinas have been up to...you wouldnt believe me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Around 240 km/h on my own in my car.
    As a passenger, just under 300km/h in an r32 skyline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

corktina wrote: »
    im not saying what speeds my Cortinas have been up to...you wouldnt believe me....
    Grand so.

Driving at high speed is a little different for the driver due to the savage concentration required and different ways. Letting a massive gap between you and the car infront is obvious to allow for the long braking distances to slow down to even normal speeds never mind having to stop. Mirrors mirrors are so important as is proper lane discipline.

The germans are proper drivers and respect each other and generally know how to drive properly on the Autobahn at highspeed there can be no half measures as any tiny mistake has the potential to end your life (and many more) in the bat of an eyelid.

They know this and appreciate it and as result are actually better drivers. I would feel safer pusing 200km/h on the German Autobahn that having to deal with the morons who drive on our Motorways.
    Jesus H ... on Winter tyres are you cracked .. the road noise/ride must have been brutal !!

Your lucky, I don't think you can even get Z rated tyres W or Y in the Winter Variety :/

Was it a rental car .. if so they'd only EVER fit H tyres which are only rated to 210.

It was more of "scorch" than anything and I just opened it up on the stretch Autobahn that was quite as every so many kilometres you run into roadworks as they are always renewing and making sure it is in tip top shape. The fastest I've ever gotten a rental upto in Germany was around 220/230 as it couldn't do no more. I drove my then German GF's, brothers BMW M3 which he had someway delimited and it was some beast of a car to go and I basically had it almost flat out for a few minutes. Also at such highspeed it is hard to get a precise accurate reading from the speedo so SatNav is the best way to know. I know a German who claims to have done 360km/h on his friends Motorbike with the two of them on it, knowing the same fella he'd be mad enough for it! :pac:

Driving at such high speeds you notice the wind whistling by and for the passenger the difference is even less due to the quality of the road and excellent build quality of German cars. There is no real other difference except for the obvious extra care and no distractions like on the phone etc. Even though the Autobahn is is well surfaced at such high speeds some little imperfections are much more noticeable and if they find a dangerous pothole, they will not fill it but instead close the lane and renew an entire square of road. :)

It is also so straight and the turns are very gradual and the road is banked allowing for real ease of high speed driving. driving at high speed like that on our poverty spec "Motorways :rolleyes:" would be a recipe for disaster add in your average Irish "talented:pac::pac:" driver and I can imagine carnage if we ever get a large convoy of German drivers over here.

The biggest obstacle to driving that fast over any period of time is fuel consumption as even the most efficient car will become a guzzler at such high speeds, naturally the quick thinking Germans have placed Service stations (Raststatte) about every 40 to 50kms unlike here where you can currently drive the entire motorway network of Ireland without encountering a pitstop.

Stopping or running out of fuel on the Autobahn is treated very seriously and if you run out of fuel and the Autobahnpolizei (motorway patrol) catch you then you are in for a serious fine and points etc. The service areas are like massive truck stops due to the levels of commercial trucking on the "ottobawn"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

200km/h indicated in a focus van with nothing in the back, felt absolutely fine, no real difference to 160km/h which I normally drove at if there was no traffic.
    Managed 160km/h on my bike which is supposed to do 180km/h but the lack of fairings made holding on awkward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Driving at 200 (or more) is great fun for a few minutes in a "look ma, no hands" kind of way, especially when doing it for the first time.

Do it for a prolonged stretch and it's immensely tiring and very much like hard work. You have to develop this extreme tunnel vision, putting the focal point of your attention several hundreds of meters in front of you. Scenery becomes nonexistent, even reading the roadsigns becomes difficult as you just can't afford to take your eyes off the road.

Car handling depends very much on the car ...your bog standard family car may well become a bit spongey round the edges.

The really "interesting" bit is how looooooooooooong your brake distance becomes when some slow coach pulls into your lane at half your speed.
    Quite ok in a proper sportscar, but in your bog standard family car brake performance in those situations gets measured in degrees of brownness (of your underpants) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I was over in Frankfurt some time ago and the taxi bringing 2 of us to our hotel (north of Frankfurt) hit 190kmph - 200kmph in a fairly new Mercedes saloon ... I have to say that sitting in the passenger seat freaked me out a bit ... and when we pulled into the central lane still doing that speed a AMG CLS shot past us ...easily doing 80 to 100kmph more than we were :eek: sitting in the passenger seat of that would definitely have had me shítting a brick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Had to do 300 miles in 3 hours making the ferry from the Nurburgring last year and pushing the car all the way when possible is very tiring. And not all autobahn drivers are as accomodating as you think. There were two brown pants times, one in particular when a fool pulled out in front of me and put his anchors on! I really thought the game was up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

120km/h officer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Fluid dynamics states that drag increases exponentially as speed increases. So if you double the speed the drag (force) quadruples.

Drag doesn't increase exponentially with velocity it increases in proportion to the SQUARE of the velocity.

If you're gonna try sound like a know-it-all, at least get your facts straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yes your right I got myself muddled up, I didnt try to sound like a know-it-all. Its been a few years since I have done fluid dynamics. Why dont you take a pill and relax.

Sorry man, I just picked up my new 3 series and it's really bringing out the asshole in me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

One thing people often forget about doing these speeds is your brakes. Braking from these sort of speeds, which often takes a while can REALLY put pressure on your brakes and heat them up which in turn can make them very poor till they cool down again.

You could brake from these speeds and then have to brake again and your brakes are going to be mush.

S.

My fastest is currently a GPS confirmed 144mph (230kmph)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

260KPH or so.
    It's funny how when you slow down from that speed to say 180KPH if feels like you're crawling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

200kmh easily and safely on the autobahn, felt safer than driving at 120 over here with the amount of idiots on our roads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Didn't a thread like this get printed in the paper before, showcasing how irresponsible boards.ie drivers are?

Didn't a thread like this get printed in the paper before, showcasing how irresponsible boards.ie drivers are?

Did I mention the time I did 300KMH down the M50 while getting a blowjob off a hooker?

I was also eating a KFC family feast and doing a Suduko at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

lol, i'm not judging, i'm just not posting what speeds i have, or have not done. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

240KPH indicated in a C-Max. We're slowing down in the pic. photo.php?pid=1226629&id=571873203&fbid=40718548203

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Did I mention the time I did 300KMH down the M50 while getting a blowjob off a hooker?

I was also eating a KFC family feast and doing a Suduko at the same time.
    ....on the way to a head shop

Paparazzo wrote: »
    ....on the way to a head shop

No, on the way from a head shop.
    I'd just gotten my hoe to burn one down and we were making a quick getaway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement